Eco Swap Time!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Eco Swap Time!!!
Monday, August 01, 2011 10:25 AM
So I finally blew the headgasket.....AGAIN in the 2.4. Went to the yard and got myself am Eco motor straight from Texas. I felt it was time to jump on the band wagon and upgrade.

Re: Eco Swap Time!!!
Monday, August 01, 2011 10:44 AM
Wow look whos postin lol finaly got an eco lets get it in before it disappears ,i know where its hidin hehe

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Monday, August 01, 2011 1:09 PM
Lol better not disappear!! We move in our house on the 31st so we'll get to work on it when were all settled. Still deciding if I should turbo it right away or not.....

Monday, August 01, 2011 1:22 PM
Do you have a 99 or 99.5?

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, August 01, 2011 1:34 PM
Woo, it's about time you traded in the boat anchor for an Eco!

I say boost right away, but I'm biased, lol

Monday, August 01, 2011 3:21 PM
bad move.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 01, 2011 3:31 PM
Cool, good luck with the swap. I'd say check the yard out for a sabb setup, or just buy and lsj motor and take what you need for blower and sell the rest to make some money back.

Monday, August 01, 2011 3:35 PM
It's a 99, and with the bad luck I've had with the 2.4 (this is the 4th one I've blown) I think it's time for a swap. Why do you say it's a bad move?

Monday, August 01, 2011 3:58 PM
he likes the 2.4 Anyways... good luck as well with the entire wiring swap and cluster...etc. It is a lot of work, but if you think it is worth it, then it is worth it.

Monday, August 01, 2011 4:27 PM
Good luck Ashley. Im glad to see you make the move to a Ecotec.. It's not a bad swap but hay i've done a few . The main thing if you do boost it is finding someone to tune it properly . That seems to be the hardest thing to find or do..

Monday, August 01, 2011 4:49 PM
Keep me posted when you're thinking of doing the swap, maybe we can make a KGM weekend out of it. Couple extra hands around, especially with how many of us have countless eco swaps, it should be a breeze. I think Ryan, Doc, and I and Manny's swap pretty much done and out the door over night lol.

CAVY 2NV wrote:The main thing if you do boost it is finding someone to tune it properly . That seems to be the hardest thing to find or do..

We have a guy for that

Monday, August 01, 2011 5:02 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:Do you have a 99 or 99.5?

WTF does that have to do with anything 99 is a 99 there is no .5

ashley when doin the eco swap on a 99 you have to change the interior wiring this means you have to change the headlight harness aswell

easy thing since you have a 99cav you get an 03-05 sunfire headlight harness this way you have the fogs and the wiring for 2 bulbs per headlight, then just out the 99 headlight plugs on it then your done with that

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, August 01, 2011 5:16 PM
Sorry if you have blown 4 head gaskets you have other issues. The LD9 is not known for blowing head gaskets.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 01, 2011 5:17 PM
Sounds good to me!

The wiring harness is actually a good thing. Mine is all jacked up anyway, I don't have working fog lights or high beams right now :/
It just seemed to have one problem after the next.... I figured with as many swaps that everyone has under their belt I should be fine since I've witnessed a few of them in progress. Whoever would like to come out, even if it's just to spectate is welcome. That sounds like an awesome idea for a mini meet, good thinking! Our new house has plenty of parking, oversized two car garage, plenty of yard, hot tub and even a swingset for those that want to play! Lol

Thanks in advance to everyone that has offered to help

Monday, August 01, 2011 5:22 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Sorry if you have blown 4 head gaskets you have other issues. The LD9 is not known for blowing head gaskets.

No this is the second headgasket, fourth 2.4 I've gone through though. Keep in mind I've had this car since 2002, and it's been my daily until just recently. The last time I had a friends garage re-seal the entire engine since I was leaking oil pretty bad, but....they did a half assed job and only took 4-5 months for it to start up again.

Monday, August 01, 2011 7:24 PM
Pinkcavy99 {Ashley} wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:Sorry if you have blown 4 head gaskets you have other issues. The LD9 is not known for blowing head gaskets.

No this is the second headgasket, fourth 2.4 I've gone through though. Keep in mind I've had this car since 2002, and it's been my daily until just recently. The last time I had a friends garage re-seal the entire engine since I was leaking oil pretty bad, but....they did a half assed job and only took 4-5 months for it to start up again.

this could be an issue maybe?!?! lol

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Monday, August 01, 2011 7:46 PM
Yeah, considering the shop closed shortly after I had it done.....

Screw it though, already got the Eco motor from the yard lol

Monday, August 01, 2011 8:35 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:

ashley when doin the eco swap on a 99 you have to change the interior wiring this means you have to change the headlight harness aswell

easy thing since you have a 99cav you get an 03-05 sunfire headlight harness this way you have the fogs and the wiring for 2 bulbs per headlight, then just out the 99 headlight plugs on it then your done with that

Way to be a douche.

Some of the later 99's have the newer 00 body wiring harness and plastic gas tanks and they won't need to be swapped.

But then again what would I know about Eco swaps.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, August 01, 2011 9:31 PM
Eco FTW good choice and good luck with the swap!
Monday, August 01, 2011 10:12 PM
Swingset?! Tell me there's a sandbox and it's a KGM meet for sure!! Haha!

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:53 AM
Looking forward to this! If you plan on boosting, Ashley, grab an 00-02 LD9 harness and pcm (or 00-01 2200 pcm) and make it easy on me lol.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:48 AM
i approve the eco swap

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:07 AM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
NOTa2_4 wrote:

Way to be a douche.

Some of the later 99's have the newer 00 body wiring harness and plastic gas tanks and they won't need to be swapped.

I have never seen or heard of a 99 with a plastic tank or a 00 body harness...I have two and looked & worked on more than my far share of 99s.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:53 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
NOTa2_4 wrote:

Way to be a douche.

I have never seen or heard of a 99 with a plastic tank or a 00 body harness...I have two and looked & worked on more than my far share of 99s.

I agree. Truly if a 99 had a 00+ body harness thenit would have a BCM, and they do not.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:05 AM
According to Jeffie and a few others the interior harnesses do NOT need to be swapped at all.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search