Subs Cut Off.......Blown Coil? Please no - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Subs Cut Off.......Blown Coil? Please no
Friday, April 08, 2005 11:16 PM
hey....i was just driving and i turned up my volume and the sub hit like twice then cut off.......its dark out so i really cant see anything that good.....i checked the amp and its not hot and its still getting power. It didnt smell like anything burnt. All fuses are still fine as well. Im guessing either a fried voice coil or something went bad in the wiring.

If it was a blown voice coil can i get it fixed under warranty?......Ive only had it for a couple months but i did get them off ebay......if not, how much would it cost to fix? or is it even worth it?

any help is appreciated......thanks

http://www.cardomain.com/id/h2blink

Re: Subs Cut Off.......Blown Coil? Please no
Saturday, April 09, 2005 12:52 AM
How high was the gain set on your amp?

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Cannon fodder is my daddy.
Saturday, April 09, 2005 11:38 AM
Could be one of the wires came off of the cone. A connection somwhere came off. Its gotta be somethin stupid

Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:43 PM
ok....now this is weird......

i went out to get a better look today in the sunlight and checked all the wires again and everything was intact........turned on the car and turned the cd player up and the subs are hitting again.

could it have just over heated?

the gain was set at 75%, i turned it down a little just to be safe

Saturday, April 09, 2005 3:53 PM
it could have went into protect mode

Saturday, April 09, 2005 4:19 PM
Saturday, April 09, 2005 7:08 PM
if i wire jiggled loose it sent the amp a whack ohm load like .00003 or something and it sent the amp into protect mode, which shuts the amp down in case of a low ohm load where it would put out crazy ammounts of power (or try to) and damage or even break it..

check your connections and make sure they are solid

Sunday, April 10, 2005 1:01 AM
ok.....update

i was driving today and i felt the bass cut in half

i pulled over and im getting now sound out of the left sub.......the right sub is working fine.......

i dont have them wired together.....each sub is wired independently to the amp

i pushed the left subs cone in a little but and it started vibrating and sound came out but some distortion did as well........is this the sign of a blown coil or just loose wiring?

Sunday, April 10, 2005 7:02 AM
Take just that sub out and inspect it. There could be some loose wiring. Hook it up to the other channel of the amp, where you have your other sub hooked up to. See if it plays fine there. If it doesn't, you have a hurt sub. If it does, try your known good sub on the opposite channel. If it doesn't play, double check your wiring and your RCA's. You could have a nick in them as well.

Beat it like it owes you money
Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:02 PM
yea sounds like a loose connection somewhere, look at the leads on ur sub and look at all the wires and make sure they have good connections

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search