GM Flash Issues, Problems, Concerns, etc. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Flash Issues, Problems, Concerns, etc.
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:14 PM
Okay, I am going to see if I can get some help with this again. To begin I have a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2L Ecotec engine and automatic transmission. It is supercharged with the GMPP kit and has the GM flash from the dealer. Has a K&N short ram, iridium plugs gapped at 45, and a Borla cat-back exhaust. The issue:

When I "blip" the throttle at idle, in gear or not, the RPMs drop to about 300 almost killing the engine (which it has sometimes) and then catches and soars to 2000+. Is this a common problem with the GM flash amongst the S/C Ecotec engines? Anybody found out what is causing this? I've found some stuff on it, but it is divided into people saying yes their car does it, and no it has never done it. Still I haven't seen anybody reply with a solution. Could it be the program itself? TPS? IAC?

Also when flooring it,
1.) if it takes of from a dead stop as it climbs up to redline it hits, attempts to shift, goes back to 5000RPM, hits redline again, and finally shifts to second. Very odd, anybody else experience this?
2.) if it is done while rolling, it glides from 4000 to 5000RPMs, but the car doesn't seem to be accelerating much at all, kind of like the transmission was slipping. Never did it before the S/C, any thoughts?

And has anyone with an automatic realized that the manuel 1st and manuel 2nd are now useless, since the car will have almost no power and little rolling no matter how much throttle you give it for 2 seconds and then flys to 2000+RPM.

Finally, the A/C when crazy the other, switching on and off, and not cooling. Had to restart it and drive it to get out of this weird mode.

And there is no MIL at all or stored codes. It runs fine otherwise. Any info, links, suggestion, tips, ideas, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated, thank you all for reading and any responses.

Re: GM Flash Issues, Problems, Concerns, etc.
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 6:39 PM
i should be getting my reflash soon and im auto. so im watching this

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:00 PM
I did have a ransom high idle with my cav after I got it reflashed, but it went away eventually. Now the only problem I run into is that once in a while it will fall flat on its face(no power at all), but it goes away if I restart the car.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:38 PM
evan barnes: Yeah let me know what you see. Just for sh*ts and giggles, when you pick it up from the dealership after it's been tuned, just hit the throttle real fast between 75% and WOT for a microsecond and let go (while in park, it may also do it in gear), just blip it, and see if the RPMs drop to 300, the lights dim and then it catches up (if it doesn't completly die out).

Tinkles wrote:I did have a ransom high idle with my cav after I got it reflashed, but it went away eventually. Now the only problem I run into is that once in a while it will fall flat on its face(no power at all), but it goes away if I restart the car.

So far I haven't had a high idle, but if I try to even normally drive in low range (i.e. 1st or 2nd) it will fall flat on its face for 2-3 seconds and barely creep forward an inch a second, and then Pow and take off.
Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:45 PM
will do.
and with tink he is also has a stranded trans not sure if that will make any difference.

Sig thanks to bxmobkrazey on gmscf.com
Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:28 AM
my theory is that the issue is with the tune. i get some of the same symptoms you are describing, and it usually occurs between the non-boost/boost changeover. If I were cruising along and mashed the gas, the car would bog down for a second and then would take off like nothing was wrong. I've been running the reflash since '06 and I've learned to drive around that issue. I would suggest getting an auto trans interceptor or a b&m shiftplus because your trans will not be happy. Mine shifted sloppy under load before I added the shiftplus, now it's great. Check your plug gap too, that seems pretty large for a boosted app. Any other questions, feel free to ask

Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:15 AM
Im running NGK LTR6IX-11 spark plugs(one step colder than stock) gapped at ~.35. I did notice alittle spark blowout with the plugs gaped larger and the car does seem to run alittle better with the one step colder plugs. Yes, my cav is a 5-speed.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search