OBD II Article - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
OBD II Article
Monday, March 14, 2005 7:11 PM
Check out this article on OBD II:

http://www.dsctunerhaven.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1414

Jason

Re: OBD II Article
Monday, March 14, 2005 8:39 PM
...and if you want to build your own interface to hook up to your computer here's a nifty link...

http://www.mictronics.de/?page=j1850_vpw

His interface is VPW and the firmware is opensource. Don't know how well it works, but I like the opensource concept.

I've used the Peper interface...

http://www.obd-2.com/#home

Had some fun this last weekend. Hooked the Peper interface to the 05Cav1SV, was getting the dashboard display on the laptop. I stalled the car by slipping the clutch. My ODO displayed 'error' and the radio 'loc' when I started the engine. Had to pull the fuse to reset. COOL!

Cheers,
MSKI
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:09 AM
I know a LOT about the OBD-2

Hell, I should, I'm writing software for us to edit the OBD-2 computers

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:41 AM
Shifted (KickAzz) wrote:I know a LOT about the OBD-2

Hell, I should, I'm writing software for us to edit the OBD-2 computers

Yeah i remember you were saying somting about doing it yourself from that HP tuners thread. You think that this would make it easier?

correct me if i'm wrong.. but after i watched this vid it looks like you can go in and change some settings looks like odometer really. mind you i didn't read all this in too much detail... i am at work.. but will later.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 9:25 AM
That article that makes it easier?

Not at all. OBD-2 is simply an emissions thing. The ECU's are called OBD-2 because thats the emissions standard they were designed to comply with. You could honestly reprogram and reconfigure an OBD-1 computer to comply with OBD-2 standards.

The thing that makes it difficult is that when GM decided to impliment the OBD-2 standard, they increased the security on the computers. The technology boom went from pass through board chip technology (old) to surface mount stuff where we cannot remove the calibration chips.

In doing this, GM was forced to put in the ability to program though the diagnostics port, but they increased the on-board security to deter people from making products that could modify the original settings.

So thats what makes it difficult. Its cracking the code that allows you to get into the software and reprogram it. But yes, at least on the 2000+'s, you could theoretically change the mileage. And on any other car after 96, you can change things like the VIN and some other neat things.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:28 AM
^^^^^^^^^ hey man, thanks for setting it straight... i haven't the first clue about this kinda stuff.... i just design... i don't know how they make it work LOL

hope someone creates something.....

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:36 AM
Early this morning one of the guys who is working on the project with me cracked the GM unlock algorithm for the V8's

We are homing in on the 4cyls, there are just two numbers that need to change to get the correct value to work out Problem is those numbers are each between 0 and 65535

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:49 AM
LOL nice!.... but atleast there's only 2

good luck... and keep us posted please

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:53 AM
LOL, I calculated it...

4.3 billion possible number combinations...

Looks like my computer has some work to do

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:56 AM

*** where's that holy f*&^)(^k emocon????***

like i said.... good luck!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search