Insurance on aftermarket equipment? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Insurance on aftermarket equipment?
Friday, July 08, 2005 5:15 AM
Anyone know of any companies offering insurance on aftermarket equipment? I live in western PA, and Erie and State Farm will not insure anything done to the car over $500.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum

Re: Insurance on aftermarket equipment?
Friday, July 08, 2005 5:46 AM
I work for Mercury Auto Insurance, we just started out in PA a lil while ago.. I'm not familiar with the policies there tho :| maybe give a local Mercury agent a call?

Friday, July 08, 2005 7:32 AM
Like what after market stuff. I have State Farm and they only cover $1,500 on stereos. I haven't asked about body kits though, they might cover those. I put on a stock Z-24 kit and I can argue that the kit is original equipement. As far as headers, intakes and any other mods that is not oem, i think you would be sol. There arguement or defense would be that the stuff is not oem. Shop to see if there coverage somehwere else or a special coverage. How do custom cars and bikes that are highly modified in and out get coverage.? That might be ur answer.
Friday, July 08, 2005 8:20 AM
Well, modified cars are at higher risk for insurance companies..

Performance Mods = More chance of you going fast and going boom (in their eyes).
Aftermarket Body Parts = Could be more expensive or not as strong (in their eyes).

Insurance companies are ignorant with aftermarket or modifying period.. all they see is more risks.. so basically, you can get coverage from quite a few companies.. but for a reasonable price? That I can't tell ya :\ Good luck on the hunt tho

Friday, July 08, 2005 8:48 AM
Honestly, if you get in a wreck, and it breaks your front bumper, when you take it somewhere, its like hey the front bumper is cracked in half, you will need 300 bux for a new one, plus paint.

If your engine gets f'd up your car is gonna have problems to begin with. Just have them write it verygeneral, not aftermarket type j front bumper, but just front bumper cracked etc etc. same with a hood or trunk/tails/etc

Heck its cheaper to replace stuff with aftermarket parts sometimes when compared to buying replacement OEM parts.

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Friday, July 08, 2005 9:23 AM
ive herd of some insurance companies that charge you moe a month for aftermarket part insurance, but i dont know which one it was, ill try to figure it out and let you know

honestly tho, depending on how much more a month it is it's probably not worth it

Friday, July 08, 2005 9:52 AM
Esurance.com will up to 4000 and for me 4000 extra insurance is like 70 per 6 month premium which is not bad....

Friday, July 08, 2005 10:09 AM
Seriously, OEM parts are insane :\ When some ass hit me last halloween they wanted to replace my rear bumper with oem.. i checked the prices of some aftermarkets I liked and it was about 75-100 cheaper from respected sites :\ also.. my corner taillight was chipped and a replacement from oem was about 3-5 times the amount of what i could pull from a junk yard :d sux but oh well, insurance companies always gotta go oem because of the liability factor :\

Friday, July 08, 2005 10:56 AM
State Farm insures anything that is on the car, but not things like rims and Stereo's without and extra premium, they paid for all my aftermarket parts when i had a run in with a deer.

--------------------------------------------
The Car is For Sale: Info? Travis@TunerRevolution.com

Friday, July 08, 2005 11:53 AM
I currently have progressive. I asked the CSR when setting up my account about aftermarket coverage and pricing involved. She informed me that $1000 of coverage is standard on all progressive plans and additional coverage is available. The only setback was cost. For an additional $3,000 coverage, my premium would increase something like $50 a month. I would have to recheck for an exact figure, but it was near to this figure.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Friday, July 08, 2005 12:51 PM
Raskal - TunerRevolution.com - wrote:State Farm insures anything that is on the car, but not things like rims and Stereo's without and extra premium, they paid for all my aftermarket parts when i had a run in with a deer.

What he ^ said cause when a deer ran into the side of my car (hahaha I know) I needed to get a new fender and a little fixing on my ss hood. thats not a big deal for insurance companies, but I also need to get my ghost flames repainted and that was a big difference in price and state farm said to me, that they way they look at it is if you spent the money on the car the will return it back to the way it was b4 the accident.

Friday, July 08, 2005 3:12 PM
like a good neighbor...

Friday, July 08, 2005 4:03 PM
I was talking to my insurance guy just the other day, and he told me that the most any insurance company has to pay for engine performance is $1000. There is also extra insurance you can get for rims and stereo/video equipment too.
Friday, July 08, 2005 7:29 PM
i have usaa and they cover anything physically bolted onto the car, given that you have reciepts for it. the only thing they wont cover is stuff like cds, cell phone, laptop, laying around the seats, they said something about homeowners insurance covering that.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:46 AM
Is USAA a national company, how can I contact them? If someone rear-ends me I can't even guess how much money I am out if the trunk is destroyed.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:46 AM
This is how all insurance companys work. No matter what they say.
They take your money and tell you to go @!#$ yourself. LOL
No really, you pay them and when it comes time to get your stuff back because you were at fault they tell you to eat it.
Now if you are not at fault, anything that was damaged from the accident weather it be interior items, cell phones, cd's or anything you have done to your car; they must fix. They are obligated by law to make you financially whole again.
And that is it. LOL.
INSURANCE COMPANYS ARE THE DEVIL.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:54 AM
usaa is a service members insurance

Saturday, July 09, 2005 7:38 AM
State Farm BLOWS goats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, July 09, 2005 8:21 AM
...btw stay away from geico..

Saturday, July 09, 2005 9:13 AM
USAA is only for millitary personnel or dependents of millitary personnel. One can't just join in. Had my truck stolen several years ago and everything inside and out was taken. State Farm covered my rims and my stereo and fixed everything that was broken in or on the truck. As far as the engagement ring, an SKS rifle, cd's and anything that was not part of the car was covered by my home owners insurance. Full coverage for my truck in Arizona is 77 a month, 20 for renters ins and 20 for liability on the cav. The more vehicles or home ins u add the more discounts they can give u. It helps if one is over 25. If I add full coverage on the cav, it would only about 55 a month. Just sit down with ur Insurance and discuss what coaverages are available and how much and how they work and what is exactly covered.
Saturday, July 09, 2005 10:13 AM
lol.. this is funny.. here i work for Mercury Insurance, and i have state farm :d my agent is really nice.. always helpful and good attitude.. i would never get mercury insurance :\ hell if i had an accident it'd take like 10 months to get my medical bills paid with em.. so unorganized :| but ya.. pretty much, insurance companies want ur money and dont want to pay u for @!#$ becuz.. let's face it, if ur a risky person.. they wont profit so ya.. :\

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:27 PM
So do I understand most of you are saying: I can not pick up insurance on my aftermarket equipment (kit, rims, stereo, infinite labor, etc), and I can't get USAA since I am not military? I have full coverage on the car now, and no points on my license. But I don't want to turn into my dad and let the car sit in the garage because I am afraid to drive it cause something bad will happen.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 6:54 PM
State Farm wil do you IDB if you let them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search