ADBOT - Page 5 - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: ADBOT
Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:50 AM
by adding those sites, your adding more interest, more reason for companies to advertise on the GME network...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:52 AM
its ment to help keep this site running, those are just added benefits of being premium...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:52 AM
ppl systematically ignore "ads" ...
i think by it being changed to an ad banner instead of a post, ppl's eyes will just skip right over it

and who cares really, we are all bombarded with advertising all throught-out the day, everywhere you go, everything you do.. so why are yall surprised?

swooosh!
Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:53 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:Honestly I think it's crap. I didn't notice until a fellow SJ member pointed it out to me. Honestly I might have considered going premium, but this is another thing that makes me not want to! There is more then enough crap going around this board. Hell, I can still find posts from back when SJ started, almost a year ago. Why is that crap still on file? If you delete some of the old crap it makes more space. And Im sorry, there has got to be enough money made on this site. I remember about a year or so ago me and my x ordered the JBO decal, I think we even went premium for a while, we didn't recieve the decal for months, maybe close to a year. We kept trying to contact someone, but no response. Finally we recieved it, at that point we didn't even care about it. And another thing Spence brought up to me before, if there are so many people premium, yet there is still need for money, why the hell does Dave have his own personal site on here? I think this ad thing is crap. Our club forum is free, we have ads at the top and bottom of our forum and no one complains. I know ALOTof other forums that have that as well. Just leave it to that, not jacking threads up with that crap! Hell try other tatics, like selling shirts etc and putting the profits into the site. Theres a good idea!

Heh, the bills for this site run in the thousands per month iirc, or at the very least, thousands per year. Pair that with continually needing to upgrade the servers etc. to keep up with growing demand and you can see why this site costs so much to run...

As for deleting old threads, the aspect of the site that costs money isn't the storage of data, but the bandwidth used when that data is accessed. Old threads, unused member pages, etc. only cost anything when they are accessed.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:55 AM
lowercontrol wrote:First, this isn't a political issue so stop trying to compare apples to oranges. (Thanks Mylife75)

I don’t use the website enough to warrant me purchasing a premium account. I just use it as more of a reference tool. With that being said, I don’t have a problem with the ads at all.

Dave is allowed to do what ever ‘HE’ wants. If he wants to put of some gay adbot to increase money be my guest.

The one thing I need some help on is if the JBO is such a money pit, why add 3 more to the list? (Gmenthusiast, Ecotec Power, and GM Delta)

Won’t these domains only ADD to the already increasing bandwidth charges?

To me I see it as a very bad finical decision based on the money problems with just JBO.

Can someone clarify for me?

AMEN brother....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:00 AM
lowercontrol wrote:The one thing I need some help on is if the JBO is such a money pit, why add 3 more to the list? (Gmenthusiast, Ecotec Power, and GM Delta)

Won’t these domains only ADD to the already increasing bandwidth charges?

I'm sure the other sites use more bandwidth, and thus increase the bandwidth charges. However if the intent of those other sites is to draw in more premium members to the GME, etc. then it (in theory) would also draw in more income to balance those charges...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:00 AM
DrPaul84 wrote:by adding those sites, your adding more interest, more reason for companies to advertise on the GME network...

So, you’re saying lets add more bandwidth to the already growing bill and hope someone sees more interest in it. Maybe then they’ll help fork over the dough?

I see it in another light.

If JBO can grow so big, just think of all the other ‘GM based’ cars without its OWN JBO.

Maybe 2 dollars for each person who registers x 25K users is a big chunk of change. Add a couple more domains of other ‘cars’ and get those people to register as a Premium to help ‘pay bills’. Yah, we’ll pay his bills. We’ll be paying his new house and car loans.

I’m all for Dave making profit, I just wish he’d tell it like it is.

I could be completely wrong though, but he is sitting on a gold mind.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:01 AM
lowercontrol wrote:First, this isn't a political issue so stop trying to compare apples to oranges. (Thanks Mylife75)

Ok may be bad example but i can say i have gotten good idea etc from this site that has saved me alot money . I am not sure of the financial status of the site. From what i understand before they had premium membership etc.. Dave was putting alot of his own personal money into the site. May be his is back putting more of his own personal money into the stie again, i don't know. Nothing is ever free.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:04 AM
umm considering the # of premium members is no where near the number of actual members...dave isnt getting @!#$ out of this...except more dept....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:05 AM
<lowercontrol> i'm waiting for the 'you idiot'

swooosh!
Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:05 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:I think this ad thing is crap. Our club forum is free, we have ads at the top and bottom of our forum and no one complains. I know ALOTof other forums that have that as well. Just leave it to that, not jacking threads up with that crap! Hell try other tatics, like selling shirts etc and putting the profits into the site. Theres a good idea!

your club forum probably also uses only about 1/1000th of the bandwidth this site uses. there's a huge difference between a site that has a few members and one that has 28,000+. you seem to not know much about bandwidth and how it works. storage space doesn't have any effect on how much bandwidth is used. so by deleting old posts, Dave isn't going to lessen the load on the servers at all. in fact, a lot of those old posts still contain valuable data that can be searched for to look up answers, rather than make a new post that will in fact cause yet even more bandwidth to be wasted.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:07 AM
Dave is getting some from ads etc..
In a business you can do two things cut back to try to expand to bring in more money which is what we did at our job a we were able from expanding bring in more money from other markets.

I see some people look like they are getting all upset about this. Better things to stress about than this. I am just trying to make sense of this.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:10 AM
theres no way even HALF of the 25k people here will go premium

Brian

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:11 AM
i dont know the actual #'s but im sure its less then 200 ppl that are premium

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:13 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:Honestly I think it's crap. I didn't notice until a fellow SJ member pointed it out to me. Honestly I might have considered going premium, but this is another thing that makes me not want to! There is more then enough crap going around this board. Hell, I can still find posts from back when SJ started, almost a year ago. Why is that crap still on file?

Sounds like you are using that only for yourself. Don't want bad publicity I take it?

The reason the old files/threads are archived is to LEARN from them. There are plenty of old threads that contain useful information. Now, the point comes out, why not sticky the "good threads" well, you would probably have 5000 stickies, not to mention you need to FIND the good information. Like Dave said, he is only one person. I doubt there are many here that know the programming/specific code that the forum uses, so its not like much help can be offered short of hiring another programmer. Guess what? MORE MONEY.

For those who run their club websites- do you charge or accept donations? I bet you do.

Plain and simple - car clubs, their sites, as well as other functions are expensive. Not always are members willing to put up money for the sites. This is where many sites/clubs fail. One person takes the brunt of the costs, they get sick of no one else contributing then quit and/or close down the site/club.

I don't blame Dave for running AdBots. Hell, if I got more hits on my website, I would do it too.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:20 AM
actually the amount of premium members are 391...but only 87 of them are annual members....and from the $$ of the site...yea dave isnt gettin crap, and if he took away all the ad's an stuff...he would be diggin himself a grave....so untill your paying for this site quit your bitching or gtfo!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:30 AM
lowercontrol wrote:
DrPaul84 wrote:by adding those sites, your adding more interest, more reason for companies to advertise on the GME network...

So, you’re saying lets add more bandwidth to the already growing bill and hope someone sees more interest in it. Maybe then they’ll help fork over the dough?

I see it in another light.

If JBO can grow so big, just think of all the other ‘GM based’ cars without its OWN JBO.

Maybe 2 dollars for each person who registers x 25K users is a big chunk of change. Add a couple more domains of other ‘cars’ and get those people to register as a Premium to help ‘pay bills’. Yah, we’ll pay his bills. We’ll be paying his new house and car loans.

I’m all for Dave making profit, I just wish he’d tell it like it is.

I could be completely wrong though, but he is sitting on a gold mind.

AMEN again.....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:32 AM
and you STILL have no fuking clue what your talking about..... so till you get a clue how bout you stfu....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:33 AM
what ever man....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:34 AM
^^^ your gonna run out of posts soon, and youve said whatever like 15 times already but keep coming back for no reason

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:35 AM
Sometimes it takes money to make money. It's not uncommon for businesses to have a faililng division or two, but there bread and butter makes up for it. Daves past goal was just to have a site that broke even. Now that it's getting closer to that goal you have to set your sights higher. So what if Dave eventually profits from this fincially. I know as a member I profit with knowledge. Without this site my 99 would prob look like a Pep Boys/Auto Zone ad. Without this site I wouldn't own the 03 Cav that I do. Thanks Dave!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:36 AM
man i have 86 left.... and i am not afraid to use all of them on this one sinlge post...so STFU

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:37 AM
i have nothing to do today, soooo i can keep goin an goin till your posts are gone

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:39 AM
DrPaul84 wrote:i have nothing to do ever, soooo i can keep goin an goin till your posts are gone

Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:39 AM
FstCavZ24:

If you actually read my post you would have already known that I’m all for Dave making a profit!

Good for him. He deserves it with all his hard work.

I was just asking those who know to clarify my questions.

(stop bitching or GTFO) <-- Really TELLING IT LIKE IT IS.

Dr. Paul, aren’t you Mr. big shot? Are you like the ‘bouncer’ of JBO?

I got some ‘Jack Daniels’ in my coat pocket, can I come in?

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search