ADBOT - Page 7 - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Re: ADBOT
Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:43 AM
/\ are you retarded?

Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:48 AM
BHAHAHAHA when i was loading a page in photos and media the google "adbot" timed out and didnt load... BAHAHAHHAHA i was so happy when it did that..... thats kick ass...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:51 AM
I am!

Help Keep the ORG from overpopulating, wrap it up:

Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:58 AM
John Higgins wrote:
As long as people are paying tp post on here he should have to answer to them. If you want to take the it is my site I do what I want, then do not charge people to deal with the crap. We already have to deal with crapy mods, and a crapy owner, and now a crap ADBOT. I have been on many other forums as good as this one, if not better, and they do nto have that. Not in a post. This is the frist I have seen.

The people who are paying don't have to deal with the ads.

And really... you're always complaining yet you keep coming back. Go start your own site and save us the annoyance.

And for God's sake, learn to spell crappy! If you're going to insult me, you might as well at least do it properly!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 10:58 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Mylife75 wrote:
SLO CAV (hates the adbot) wrote:oh well what ever... this stupid ad crap is getting old VERY quick.... you know what this is going to cause right... some newbie will see a link on there for somethign that wont work on the cavy... he will make a worthless post about it.... again wasting bandwidth... oh well.. we will see what happens..... but i for one wont be posting as much anymore.... this stuff is retarted.....

you hate it so what. Deal with it Just like how we don't read all the post in a thread just do the same. Not posting because of that is just silly if you ask me. (Oh i am not driving on a highway because they raised my taxes). I hate taxes but we have to pay it, what do you think pays for our highways etc..

I do not agree. It is not the same as reading a topic and saying I do not want to read that. Any post you go in it is there.

Quote:

Wow. I'm not going to go premium again just on the principle that you would add something as ridiculous as an AdBot to the forums.

My take on the premium issue is this:

Premium members should be given extra features on the website, not just a relief from COMPLETELY annoying and damn near unethical (see popups) advertisement. So now we (non-premies) have non-access to premium member forums (totally fine), a limited post count (once again, sucky, but fair is fair) and an omnipresent ad system to combat with if we don't pay up. Give me a break.

To those of you saying "you guys are weak", that's because you have to put up with it any time you're not logged in, a whole 10 seconds. Why don't you people get off your self-righteous premium pedestal and see that this ad SUCKS!

I so agree with you!!!!!!!

Quote:

Just wondering... why does Dave have to explain him self to anyone but him self? Its his site, he pays for it he runs it he can do as he wishes. For all he cares he can shut the site down with a click of a button. I dont think Dave has to explain anything to anyone. If you dont like it either dont pay or dont post. Dont come in here bitching about it when your bitching wont get anything done.

As long as people are paying tp post on here he should have to answer to them. If you want to take the it is my site I do what I want, then do not charge people to deal with the crap. We already have to deal with crapy mods, and a crapy owner, and now a crap ADBOT. I have been on many other forums as good as this one, if not better, and they do nto have that. Not in a post. This is the frist I have seen.

No one is forcing you to pay and or stay.

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:00 AM
ding ding ding! dont let the door hit you on the way out

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:00 AM
lowercontrol wrote:I am!

^^^ BAHAHHAHAHAHA

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:02 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Mylife75 wrote:
SLO CAV (hates the adbot) wrote:oh well what ever... this stupid ad crap is getting old VERY quick.... you know what this is going to cause right... some newbie will see a link on there for somethign that wont work on the cavy... he will make a worthless post about it.... again wasting bandwidth... oh well.. we will see what happens..... but i for one wont be posting as much anymore.... this stuff is retarted.....

you hate it so what. Deal with it Just like how we don't read all the post in a thread just do the same. Not posting because of that is just silly if you ask me. (Oh i am not driving on a highway because they raised my taxes). I hate taxes but we have to pay it, what do you think pays for our highways etc..

I do not agree. It is not the same as reading a topic and saying I do not want to read that. Any post you go in it is there.

As i said may be not a good quote to use. That just shows anyone can just skip that "Adbot" message. It really does not bother me all i am saying the same we don't read every response the same way we don't bother with it. I have been on many other forums as well and websites. They some sort of means of getting adds. I can see right now at this moment there are 327 people on line. I have seen more than this number before. Most other sites i go to may be people going there but nothing like this. I am on a few other forums myself and Most of them barely get 150 people per day on the site posting etc.. That number i gave is just for who is online at this moment.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:05 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:
John Higgins wrote:
Mylife75 wrote:

Quote:

Wow. I'm not going to go premium again just on the principle that you would add something as ridiculous as an AdBot to the forums.

My take on the premium issue is this:

Premium members should be given extra features on the website, not just a relief from COMPLETELY annoying and damn near unethical (see popups) advertisement. So now we (non-premies) have non-access to premium member forums (totally fine), a limited post count (once again, sucky, but fair is fair) and an omnipresent ad system to combat with if we don't pay up. Give me a break.

To those of you saying "you guys are weak", that's because you have to put up with it any time you're not logged in, a whole 10 seconds. Why don't you people get off your self-righteous premium pedestal and see that this ad SUCKS!

I so agree with you!!!!!!!

Quote:

Just wondering... why does Dave have to explain him self to anyone but him self? Its his site, he pays for it he runs it he can do as he wishes. For all he cares he can shut the site down with a click of a button. I dont think Dave has to explain anything to anyone. If you dont like it either dont pay or dont post. Dont come in here bitching about it when your bitching wont get anything done.

Exactly. It is not as if people are being prevented from coming to this site. No one said that.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:08 AM
Wild Weasel wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

And really... you're always complaining yet you keep coming back. Go start your own site and save us the annoyance.

And for God's sake, learn to spell crappy! If you're going to insult me, you might as well at least do it properly!

The main purpose of the part you qouted was in regards to Karo post. That it is Daves site to do as he pleases with. if that is the case then he should not charge to do as he pleases. I have been premium before, and was going to go back, but not now.
Sorry for the spelling I was typing fast, you still got what I was saying. I never even knew you were a mod.

Quote:

Your right no one is. I do have the right to voice my 2 pennies.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:09 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Wild Weasel wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

The main purpose of the part you qouted was in regards to Karo post. That it is Daves site to do as he pleases with. if that is the case then he should not charge to do as he pleases. I have been premium before, and was going to go back, but not now.
Sorry for the spelling I was typing fast, you still got what I was saying. I never even knew you were a mod.

Quote:

As always John you do No hard feelings man... we just dont see eye to eye on this one thats all

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:10 AM
SLO CAV (hates the ADBOT) wrote:

^^^ BAHAHHAHAHAHA

Why does it matter how many people come on here or not?? Really that does not make us any better. Heck we are usually the laughing stock of forums.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:10 AM
Lurch wrote:
Queen Racerchic wrote:Honestly I think it's crap. I didn't notice until a fellow SJ member pointed it out to me. Honestly I might have considered going premium, but this is another thing that makes me not want to! There is more then enough crap going around this board. Hell, I can still find posts from back when SJ started, almost a year ago. Why is that crap still on file?

Sounds like you are using that only for yourself. Don't want bad publicity I take it?

The reason the old files/threads are archived is to LEARN from them. There are plenty of old threads that contain useful information. Now, the point comes out, why not sticky the "good threads" well, you would probably have 5000 stickies, not to mention you need to FIND the good information. Like Dave said, he is only one person. I doubt there are many here that know the programming/specific code that the forum uses, so its not like much help can be offered short of hiring another programmer. Guess what? MORE MONEY.

For those who run their club websites- do you charge or accept donations? I bet you do.

Plain and simple - car clubs, their sites, as well as other functions are expensive. Not always are members willing to put up money for the sites. This is where many sites/clubs fail. One person takes the brunt of the costs, they get sick of no one else contributing then quit and/or close down the site/club.

I don't blame Dave for running AdBots. Hell, if I got more hits on my website, I would do it too.

Using only for myself? Don't want bad publicity? WTF are you talking about?

And by the way, we don't take donations in our club, no montly/yearly fees. It's everyone for themselves.

If Dave is one person he can have others help him. It's not that hard, hell thats what he has mods for too. Instead of warning or banning people (Doesn't the warning messages take up bandwidth too?) why don't they clean up the old crap so people don't have a chance to retreive it??? Might make more sence. We clean our forum up on a regular basis. No need to keep old stuff!

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:12 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Wild Weasel wrote:
John Higgins wrote:

Quote:

^^^^^ damn straight we do......

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:13 AM
John Higgins wrote:
SLO CAV (hates the ADBOT) wrote:

^^^ BAHAHHAHAHAHA

Why does it matter how many people come on here or not?? Really that does not make us any better. Heck we are usually the laughing stock of forums.

Sorry, I qouted the wrong one. I was qouting MyLife, and about how many people visit this site.
Karo that is cool. I know not everyone agrees with me on this and that is fine.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:19 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Sorry, I qouted the wrong one. I was qouting MyLife, and about how many people visit this site.
Karo that is cool. I know not everyone agrees with me on this and that is fine.

I might not see eye to eye with John either. But it is all cool just like John i am sharing my 2 pennies as well. I am just stating what i see i am not saying that any site is better than another. More doesn't mean better. I guess we don't want to stop allowing people to come here. I will say John has helped me out big time so i have no beef with him.

all the time

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:33 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:
Lurch wrote:
Queen Racerchic wrote:Honestly I think it's crap. I didn't notice until a fellow SJ member pointed it out to me. Honestly I might have considered going premium, but this is another thing that makes me not want to! There is more then enough crap going around this board. Hell, I can still find posts from back when SJ started, almost a year ago. Why is that crap still on file?

Sounds like you are using that only for yourself. Don't want bad publicity I take it?

The reason the old files/threads are archived is to LEARN from them. There are plenty of old threads that contain useful information. Now, the point comes out, why not sticky the "good threads" well, you would probably have 5000 stickies, not to mention you need to FIND the good information. Like Dave said, he is only one person. I doubt there are many here that know the programming/specific code that the forum uses, so its not like much help can be offered short of hiring another programmer. Guess what? MORE MONEY.

For those who run their club websites- do you charge or accept donations? I bet you do.

Plain and simple - car clubs, their sites, as well as other functions are expensive. Not always are members willing to put up money for the sites. This is where many sites/clubs fail. One person takes the brunt of the costs, they get sick of no one else contributing then quit and/or close down the site/club.

I don't blame Dave for running AdBots. Hell, if I got more hits on my website, I would do it too.

And by the way, we don't take donations in our club, no montly/yearly fees. It's everyone for themselves.

If Dave is one person he can have others help him. It's not that hard, hell thats what he has mods for too. Instead of warning or banning people (Doesn't the warning messages take up bandwidth too?) why don't they clean up the old crap so people don't have a chance to retreive it??? Might make more sence. We clean our forum up on a regular basis. No need to keep old stuff!

^^^ damn straight man.. you said it...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:36 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:

ummm
Most users ever online was 18 on Mon May 23, 2005 3:21 pm <---how can you compare your site to the org....your sites bandwidth is probably less then my personal sites i just dont think your seeing how much it actually costs to run a large site like the org..

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:42 AM
DrPaul84 wrote:
Queen Racerchic wrote:

ummm
Most users ever online was 18 on Mon May 23, 2005 3:21 pm

Your right a lot of people (including myself) do not fully understand how much it cost to run a big site. Also Dave took it upon himself to create this site. I remember when we did not have a ORG, we had a mailing list. I thought that was great!!!! Simple easy. Not a topic you wanted to read, delete. Granted there is some stuff about this site I like. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with raising money for the site. Fine, do it, just better ways.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:44 AM
can you explain a better way? all of the sites i go on use the ads by google thing, one another site i use its a totally free site but it has 10 ads on the page...and it also has over 100k registered users on it...and no one cries or bitches about the ad's cause its free, so you deal with it, same goes with another site, ad's all over the place, its free, deal with it...you dont want to pay and support by being premium, then deal with the ad's its really not a big deal either i mean, isnt their posts on threads you dont read an just scroll by? do the same with adbot if you dont want to see it or read it...

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:54 AM
yea but i bet that other site doesnt have a damn add in middle of the acutal forum on EVERY post on the site thats what were trying to get at... i mean at the very top of the site and bottom of the site is fine like it always has been, but in the middle of the damn post... thats a bunch of crap...... i mean we have a crap load of blue space on the side of each post and the white side to the right of where you type the response thats screaming with ad potential but no he has to put it in the middle of the damn posts.....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:56 AM
Queen Racerchic wrote:
Lurch wrote:

You are comparing apples to oranges yet again. Your site has how many posts/members 100 max? This site has 25,000+ members, thats 250 times as many . I don't think you realize the actual size of this place. You don't know what a website with tons and tons of hits costs. As an example, say this page (ONE SINGLE THREAD) is 144kb in size, now say, oh, 5,000 people access this page every 3 hours of a day. Thats 720,000kb/3 hour period, now, if the trend were to continue througout the day, that would be 5,760,000kb (5625Mb or ~5.5Gb) transferred in ONE day. Now, there are other factors, like caching images, but still. So, you take that 5.5Gb per day transferred for one page, multiplied by the number of pages viewed, times 30 days or so. You end up with a phenominal number. This is why the org is so expensive. Please, go do your research. You would realize that even 200gb of data transfer a month for a website can be expensive, so what makes you think what the org transfers won't be a hell of a lot more?

Like Dave said, he is only one person. I doubt there are many here that know the programming/specific code that the forum uses, so its not like much help can be offered short of hiring another programmer. Guess what? MORE MONEY.

By the way it sounds, and from visiting your forum, you have several admins, and are using a phpbb style forum, which any idiot can operate. Like I said though, and Dave has explained before, this isn't a regular .php forum. From what I understand, he coded much of it himself. Does it complicate things, sure. It makes it harder for people to offer help.

Dave, care to offer up what bandwidth is used daily?

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:03 PM
so i bet this ONE single post used up a @!#$ load of bandwidth.. oh well... life goes on....

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:09 PM
Lurch wrote:
Queen Racerchic wrote:
Lurch wrote:

You are comparing apples to oranges yet again. Your site has how many posts/members 100 max? This site has 25,000+ members, thats 250 times as many . I don't think you realize the actual size of this place. You don't know what a website with tons and tons of hits costs. As an example, say this page (ONE SINGLE THREAD) is 144kb in size, now say, oh, 5,000 people access this page every 3 hours of a day. Thats 720,000kb/3 hour period, now, if the trend were to continue througout the day, that would be 5,760,000kb (5625Mb or ~5.5Gb) transferred in ONE day. Now, there are other factors, like caching images, but still. So, you take that 5.5Gb per day transferred for one page, multiplied by the number of pages viewed, times 30 days or so. You end up with a phenominal number. This is why the org is so expensive. Please, go do your research. You would realize that even 200gb of data transfer a month for a website can be expensive, so what makes you think what the org transfers won't be a hell of a lot more?

Like Dave said, he is only one person. I doubt there are many here that know the programming/specific code that the forum uses, so its not like much help can be offered short of hiring another programmer. Guess what? MORE MONEY.

By the way it sounds, and from visiting your forum, you have several admins, and are using a phpbb style forum, which any idiot can operate. Like I said though, and Dave has explained before, this isn't a regular .php forum. From what I understand, he coded much of it himself. Does it complicate things, sure. It makes it harder for people to offer help.

Dave, care to offer up what bandwidth is used daily?

We might have 25000 member accounts, but I doubt we have half that posting. I know a lot of people create accounts and do not post, or come on here.
But as someone else said ,any other forums to do not have these ads in the middle of a post. That is my main thing. No need for it in the middle of a post.

FU Tuning

Thursday, August 04, 2005 12:10 PM
John Higgins wrote:
DrPaul84 wrote:
Queen Racerchic wrote:

ummm
Most users ever online was 18 on Mon May 23, 2005 3:21 pm

Your right a lot of people (including myself) do not fully understand how much it cost to run a big site. Also Dave took it upon himself to create this site. I remember when we did not have a ORG, we had a mailing list. I thought that was great!!!! Simple easy. Not a topic you wanted to read, delete. Granted there is some stuff about this site I like. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with raising money for the site. Fine, do it, just better ways.

Exactly. I mean, places like Team Integra sell items and keep the profits to pay for the space. You could get hats, keychains etc that would help benefit the site and promote it as well as give members something to have and use. I don't think that is a bad way, he'll I'd buy a keychain or what not. Im sure some other people would.

And Im not compairing my clubs site to theirs, just saying that if it takes up bandwidth to recall old posts, why not delete them so it isn't a problem? I know the org is bigger then the SJ site, but you know what.................I wasn't compairing!

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search