Something I noticed about the modding scene - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Something I noticed about the modding scene
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:06 PM
I've noticed over the last 5 years a couple trends. Some people mod their car where it always looks drivable or finished at any given point (even though more mods are coming), and some peoples car's are noticably under construction for many years.

I realize that lots of mods take time and all, but it just bugs me to see the same car year in and year out in primer. I don't see the point of putting on unpainted parts until it's feasible to paint them? I just see so many around town that I stopped and thought to myself "Why?". There's ways to mod your car without having it look torn down for 4 years.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.

Re: Something I noticed about the modding scene
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:14 PM
Yah... lots of cars on both sides of the fence. Most of us got J-bodies because they were economical... as we get more money we mod more. I'm at the point now that I could move onto something much faster, but I'm kinda attached to my car. But I'm also one of those "mod slowly" kinda guys. I got a bench in my room full of mods that I have to put on, but can't find time for.
I think it has lots to do with priorities, some people have "better things" to do with their money I guess...
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:17 PM
I hear ya, I'm not saying you have to spend a lot of money or much at all. Just it seems like a lot of cars get so much going at once, that the whole thing looks incomplete forever.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:43 PM
the primer is not a current trend , but 1 that has been going since you werent even thought of yet

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:55 PM
primer keeps parts from rusting.and things happen in life that you dont have control
of

slide or die
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:14 PM
What bothers me is people who can't finish a project. Say Body kit unpainted then starting a turbo kit then not having either finished forever.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 2:30 PM
i totaly agree with everyone i just did one mod at a time on my cavy until it got to the point it is now

Sinister Ambitions
when your girl is getting on your last nerve f*#k her dont fight her
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:45 PM
I just saved my money for a while and did a bunch of mods at once

I don't touch my car unless i have a major upgrade

for example I put my sound system,full custom bodykit molded,18inch rims ,exhuast and intake last winter alone

this winter im doing and ecotec swap(already have the engine) but im not putting it in untill I get all the turbo parts

just don't do little things to your car, save and do a bunch at once
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:46 PM
To bad the mods arent as cheap as the cars. It seems everyting is $500.00 or more for mods, so you need to do it slow but.....finish one before you start the next

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:54 PM
i agree... personally i wouldnt be able to start a new project when ones there unfinished... it would bother me

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 4:13 PM
Well, in my case, I would think that it was stupid to paint my car any color when I'm constantly changing something.

For instance, why paint it and THEN save up money to shave the locks/handles/whatever else? Why paint it and THEN decide I want a different body kit, hood, fenders(some of which I have changed and want to change)? Why paint it and then buy a spoiler/wing? Plus, I also have to save up for the paint itself. I've got a lot of molding/shaving in progress on my car, but it's taking forever to get the time and money to do it. Hence the primer....

If you're going to do simple mods like a kit, rims, fenders, whatever, then I agree that it would be simpler just to paint them at the time of installation....

I've only been in primer for over a year, but I certainly don't plan on keeping it that way...it's constantly "evolving" into something that one day, can be painted.

I painted my green cav way too early. As soon as it was painted, I wanted my handles and locks shaved and several other things that never got done. I learned my lesson from that.

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:24 PM
Agreed....everytime ive wanted to go get paint, im like wait, i wanna do this first...now its gotten to the point where hay im outta money....oh well, primer till next spring i be

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:42 PM
I won't do something unless its big and noticable and i can afford the whole thing at once. I'm saving up for new exhuast and a CAI, and oince I have the both of them, I'll have them put on at the same time, just so it'll be a noticable difference. Same goes for the bodykit. I won't buy it until I can afford it in full and the paint matching.
Tuesday, August 23, 2005 5:48 PM
exodus 259 wrote:I won't do something unless its big and noticable and i can afford the whole thing at once. I'm saving up for new exhuast and a CAI, and oince I have the both of them, I'll have them put on at the same time, just so it'll be a noticable difference. Same goes for the bodykit. I won't buy it until I can afford it in full and the paint matching.

thats what i did

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:31 PM
Derek724 wrote:I've noticed over the last 5 years a couple trends. Some people mod their car where it always looks drivable or finished at any given point (even though more mods are coming), and some peoples car's are noticably under construction for many years.

I realize that lots of mods take time and all, but it just bugs me to see the same car year in and year out in primer. I don't see the point of putting on unpainted parts until it's feasible to paint them? I just see so many around town that I stopped and thought to myself "Why?". There's ways to mod your car without having it look torn down for 4 years.

guess its more preference though....

its everywhere like mentioned, but i know i recieved my bumper jan 8th 2004.... it sat in my living room until july.... and didnt go on until august of 04...

but then again i got the bumper painted, and not on the car, but separate.... i dont see any point in getting a full car paint job, everytime i add something exterior. especially since i dont care for car shows much

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:54 AM
I have to agree. I see it all the time. They have the body kit, unpainted on their car all summer. I mean seriously, if you can't afford to paint it right away, just wait til you can. I think it looks foolish and plus people make fun of you. So just wait.
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 5:08 AM
ive had a kit in my garage since jan. it was painted around july 4th and its still in the garage

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:14 PM
i think its funny when people have the unpainted body kits and u can see theyve had it forever where the front is already crackin and its never even been painted..lol where they have hit rocks or whatever.. or another thing i see ALOT is people driving around with the primar squares where they shaved there doors..lol that gets quite old too

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:27 PM
paint is not cheep. Primer is. You buy a cheep body kit for $200.00 and have a buddy help you put it on for some pizza and a few beers then you realize how expensive a paint job that actualy looks good costs and suddenly your investing in 2 cases of your favorite color primer.

Me I'm goning about it the other way. I'm saving enough money to paint the RK Sport
lip kit I want and I'm making my own cowl induction hood and they'll be painted BEFORE they get put on. So far I have a spare hood in which to cut up and weld on the new scoop. And I already have the scoop picked out.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 12:55 PM
This is exactly why I always tell people to plan things out beforehand.

My car has always looked pretty complete and it's pretty far along now.

Wait... save... and complete the mod.

For those that are saying there are always more things coming before the paint goes on... my advice is to plan it all out... save the money... and then do it all at once.

There are some cases, like when you get a killer deal on a hood but have to trade yours in at the same time... when I can understand how you end up stuck but for the most part, I agree that there's really no excuse for a car to be in primer for what seems like forever.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:06 PM
ya i hate when people drive around for months with unpainted parts, i bought parts and left them in my garage for probably 6 months until i was ready for paint, then i installed everything and drove it straight to the body shop. I think it looks rediculus driving around unpainted and would much rather be all stock and one color than have a body kit that doesn't match

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:41 PM
Wow you guys actualy think about what to do before you go and do it !! Now thats a concept !! To bad not everyone is that bright.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:03 PM
Well, I really don't care who gets sick of seeing my car in primer. I don't have the TIME to do everything at once to the car. It's a daily driver and some people don't have money coming out their a$$ to buy another dependable vehicle to drive to work daily. I can't imagine how long it would take to do all the work that I want to do to my car at once. I'd have to take weeks off from work! Get over it people.....

That's fine if you want to do a few small things like a kit....paint it and put it on. But I still say that it would be stupid in my case. If anyone can come up with a solution, I'd be happy to hear it. And DON'T tell me to save up for everything and then do it...everytime you save up for something, something else always comes up and besides, it would still take FOREVER to do everything I want to do to the body at one time. Someone gonna take me to work or what?

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:55 PM
Derek724 wrote:I've noticed over the last 5 years a couple trends. Some people mod their car where it always looks drivable or finished at any given point (even though more mods are coming), and some peoples car's are noticably under construction for many years.

...i waited til i had all the parts and money for paint before anything went on if that makes u happy

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:56 PM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Well, I really don't care who gets sick of seeing my car in primer. I don't have the TIME to do everything at once to the car. It's a daily driver and some people don't have money coming out their a$$ to buy another dependable vehicle to drive to work daily. I can't imagine how long it would take to do all the work that I want to do to my car at once. I'd have to take weeks off from work! Get over it people.....

That's fine if you want to do a few small things like a kit....paint it and put it on. But I still say that it would be stupid in my case. If anyone can come up with a solution, I'd be happy to hear it. And DON'T tell me to save up for everything and then do it...everytime you save up for something, something else always comes up and besides, it would still take FOREVER to do everything I want to do to the body at one time. Someone gonna take me to work or what?

who cares what anyone thinks? is it their car?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search