Something I noticed about the modding scene - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Something I noticed about the modding scene
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 6:25 PM
Randy Cooper wrote:I have to agree. I see it all the time. They have the body kit, unpainted on their car all summer. I mean seriously, if you can't afford to paint it right away, just wait til you can. I think it looks foolish and plus people make fun of you. So just wait.

i do not agree with this at all, my car has been like you see it in my sig all summer for a couple reasons...
1 probably the biggest, i have never drivin a kitted car, i had no idea where i would scrape, idk about you but i would rather scrape the white gel coat rather than my scrape my nice new paint off.
2. I got it on and i just didn't have much time to take it off
3. I needed time to work and get my new fogs and new turn signal lights all wired up.

yea a couple people made fun of me, but i can take it, and i just tell them if they don't like it they can give me the money i need to get it painted.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/oyyci
http://photobucket.com/albums/d170/Oyyci/

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:16 PM
Quote:

I realize that lots of mods take time and all, but it just bugs me to see the same car year in and year out in primer.

Just to clarify. I'm not saying its ridiculous to be in primer for a few days, weeks, or even months. I just can't imagine why you would have your car in primer for such extended periods of time beyond 'maybe a month or two' at the extreme.

When I had a Cavalier instead of my Sunfire, I didn't have a kit on it for over a year... because I was saving up for the kit & paint.

I'm not saying your car can't hit the street in primer, I'm just saying from my experience & in my opinion it looks MUCH better to have a lightly modded car in one color than a heavily modded car in primer.

Sorry if it came off harsh sounding, it's not, I'm just curious as to why this happens so much.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Wednesday, August 24, 2005 9:45 PM
Grillrd wrote:
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Well, I really don't care who gets sick of seeing my car in primer. I don't have the TIME to do everything at once to the car. It's a daily driver and some people don't have money coming out their a$$ to buy another dependable vehicle to drive to work daily. I can't imagine how long it would take to do all the work that I want to do to my car at once. I'd have to take weeks off from work! Get over it people.....

That's fine if you want to do a few small things like a kit....paint it and put it on. But I still say that it would be stupid in my case. If anyone can come up with a solution, I'd be happy to hear it. And DON'T tell me to save up for everything and then do it...everytime you save up for something, something else always comes up and besides, it would still take FOREVER to do everything I want to do to the body at one time. Someone gonna take me to work or what?

who cares what anyone thinks? is it their car?

have you seen how many people easily get butt hurt after posting their stuff in the exterior forum??????

alot of people care simply because alot of people mod their car, not for themselves, but to SOLELY get approval of others, or to impress others....

Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:23 PM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:
Grillrd wrote:
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Well, I really don't care who gets sick of seeing my car in primer. I don't have the TIME to do everything at once to the car. It's a daily driver and some people don't have money coming out their a$$ to buy another dependable vehicle to drive to work daily. I can't imagine how long it would take to do all the work that I want to do to my car at once. I'd have to take weeks off from work! Get over it people.....

That's fine if you want to do a few small things like a kit....paint it and put it on. But I still say that it would be stupid in my case. If anyone can come up with a solution, I'd be happy to hear it. And DON'T tell me to save up for everything and then do it...everytime you save up for something, something else always comes up and besides, it would still take FOREVER to do everything I want to do to the body at one time. Someone gonna take me to work or what?

have you seen how many people easily get butt hurt after posting their stuff in the exterior forum??????

alot of people care simply because alot of people mod their car, not for themselves, but to SOLELY get approval of others, or to impress others....

the people that do that need more then a car...perhaps a g.f...or b.f whatever floats their boat

Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:24 AM
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:have you seen how many people easily get butt hurt after posting their stuff in the exterior forum??????

My first line said, "I really don't care..." I'm just curious how these know-it-alls think it could be done. Personally, I'm sick of seeing my car in primer myself but I really don't see any way around it... I've been on the org for years. Have I ever let these people get to me about EITHER of my cars? No.... If I was fixing my car up for OTHER people's approval, I guess I would have had to change a lot of things by now...but it's my car and I drive it, not them....so I could give a dam less about what anyone thinks.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 4:50 AM
Oyyci wrote:
Randy Cooper wrote:I have to agree. I see it all the time. They have the body kit, unpainted on their car all summer. I mean seriously, if you can't afford to paint it right away, just wait til you can. I think it looks foolish and plus people make fun of you. So just wait.

i do not agree with this at all, my car has been like you see it in my sig all summer for a couple reasons...
1 probably the biggest, i have never driving a kitted car, i had no idea where i would scrape, i'd about you but i would rather scrape the white gel coat rather than my scrape my nice new paint off.
2. I got it on and i just didn't have much time to take it off
3. I needed time to work and get my new fogs and new turn signal lights all wired up.

yea a couple people made fun of me, but i can take it, and i just tell them if they don't like it they can give me the money i need to get it painted.

Ok,, I see your point but I wouldn't do it. Sure I would drive around maybe a week to see how the car felt and looked with the primed kit, but the whole summer? It's just not my style. I was just stating my personal opinion, that's all.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 5:02 AM
Also for anyone the goes to Car show a crap load like I do. You will also notice that alot of the frequent and well known people at car shows spend alot of their time with their vehicle in Primer EXPECIALLY Mini Truckers.

I am a Car Show Enthusiast, I love going to Car Shows and I love modding my car. Just like a lot of people that try to get that one more mod in before the show. Eighter it be shaving your locks and handels, Adding a new hood, new Fenders, new Bodykit.

Yes it takes time and you spend a lot of time in Primer but you get the enjoyment of adding something new to car all of the time, And then showing off your new Mod to others at the car show. I have made many Friends at Car Shows and we alway talk about the progress that we have into our cars.

Now I will admit people putting on diffrent colors of Gel Coat on their car looks tacky. Pick one color of Primer and stick with it please. For example My car is Indigo Blue so when I shaved my locks off of my Door I use black primer, I put on my Fenders I used black primer, I have been working on my Trunklid guess what it is in Black Primer!!! I Just got my new Extractor hood in yesterday it came in grey gel coat. It will soon be in black primer shortly after I get it put on. I also ordered my Xenon Bodykit (again damnit) when I get it if it isn't black I will put it in black primer. After that it is off to shave my attenna and maybe add my SPARCO gas door if I am brave enoguh. That will be in black primer also. After all of that I am going to attack my interior and sand it down to get it ready for paint and I will more than likley throw black primer on it and put it in my car in time for a car show. After I am done with all of those mods then I will be ready for paint hopefully.

On top of that Going to Car shows is Expensive I spend atleast $200 - $500 each car show. With the cuts in OT and new work Schedule at work took away a crap load of money from me weekly roughly $250 after taxes.

So yes there is up and downs when modding and many people take their time into doing it.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 2:15 PM
I just couldn't see driving my car for a year or so with primer on it, it's a cavalier I'd be surprised if the car last 5 years or so. I've had a rear bumper in my bedroom (yes it's a huge bedroom) for over a year and a half, and I don't have the extra money to paint it, so it's going to sit there, I had it on one day to test fit it, and took it off right after. My car is a 2002 with 188 000 kms and I don't think it's even going to last another year, but that's a different story.

But like NfamousZ24 said, atleast put the same colour primer on it, if you plan on leaving it. Crystal also has the right idea, paint the whole thing primer, that way, everytime you change something, you can put some more cheap primer on it, some people are just never finished modding, and I know with my 95 cavalier, after it was painted, I wanted to do some more stuff to it, but I wasn't going to pay to paint it again.

Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:57 PM
Grillrd wrote:
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:
Grillrd wrote:

the people that do that need more then a car...perhaps a g.f...or b.f whatever floats their boat

FACT

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:13 PM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:
Dam-it Muffins (Event) wrote:have you seen how many people easily get butt hurt after posting their stuff in the exterior forum??????

My first line said, "I really don't care..." I'm just curious how these know-it-alls think it could be done. Personally, I'm sick of seeing my car in primer myself but I really don't see any way around it... I've been on the org for years. Have I ever let these people get to me about EITHER of my cars? No.... If I was fixing my car up for OTHER people's approval, I guess I would have had to change a lot of things by now...but it's my car and I drive it, not them....so I could give a dam less about what anyone thinks.

ok...

but did you see where i quoted GRILLRD????

his comment was along the lines of who cares, is it their car....

but for many on this site, they DO get butt hurt. post pics of their cars in 5 different primers, or with a sticker fest, etc... then you get the "i dont like this or that..."

then 7 pages of back and forth follow cause people dont realize if you air your views/pictures/etc in public, the public will give feedback. and its not all gonna be praise.

if you havent been one to get butt hurt, sweet for you lass, however there are many that do.... that cant be denied.

also saying someone is a know it all, not really.... i mean theres more efficient ways to do anything in life. everything has its advantages and drawbacks and theres no PERFECT or BEST way of doing anything.

some might prefer gather up all the parts, whatver you plan to add, then install all at once, when you have some money saved up, add it on, drive it a week make adjustments, take it into paint.... then its done. which is feasible as long as you arent molding in lines etc etc...

but then others dont have the storage space to do so....small apt or dorms....

hell i remember when i fiberglassed my first hood, it was in my dorm room which was lucky enough to be more an apt/dorm setting where i did the work in the living room and the hood stayed in the living room until i was ready for paint.

thats just my method of doing things. if your method works for you, then seriously, go for it.

mine is a daily driver as well, but my own personal rule is i dont add anything that causes downtime if i can do so... not really big into show stuff, especially for myself on a daily driver as it WILL get damaged sooner or later if you drive it daily (chips, people in parking lots, etc)

Thursday, August 25, 2005 7:15 PM
Fact is that the people that are in here quoting, quoting, quoting are the ones that need to get the boyfriend/girlfriend. While you all are quoting @!#$ acting like kings/know-it-alls, I'm either screwing my husband or working on my car.

Which is what I need to do right now...later.

Friday, August 26, 2005 4:22 AM
Crystal(CrazyCavGirl) OR Jacob wrote:Fact is that the people that are in here quoting, quoting, quoting are the ones that need to get the boyfriend/girlfriend. While you all are quoting @!#$ acting like kings/know-it-alls, I'm either screwing my husband or working on my car.

Which is what I need to do right now...later.

actually right now you are acting like a know it all, like you know everyones life simply because they quote someone or view something different than you do.... you;re acting no better than the ones you try to put down....

i quote all the damn time and i have a girlfriend whom i;ve lived with for the last 5 years nearly come nov 17th.

and considering i have time to work on MY car and others such as changing head gaskets on 3 cars for free (Fallen Angels mom and sister, and another members ex girlfriend)car and many more in the md, va, pa area.

and i work a full time as a teacher AND part time job as an advertising and marketing rep...

just because someone quotes and quotes and quotes as you put it, doesnt mean crap. it simply means their post is in reference to whoever was last quoted. unless you have a miss cleo ball in front of you, or magically some how you ARE GOD and know everyones life ..... assumptions are the mother of all F-ups.

there's 24 useable hours per day... how many do you waste?

Sunday, August 28, 2005 5:24 PM
this dude i work with has a body kit on his cougar and he slid and hit a guard rail and it broke off and he has one side held on with tape how ghetto is that?
Sunday, August 28, 2005 9:28 PM
Damn , Is it me or did that just get Totally out of control...

Sunday, August 28, 2005 9:37 PM
i'll leave another post since it's already at the top. yes it did get out of control for a moment, but its ok. I don't think because I click on quote that I'm not gonna get a g/f or something? But anyways, whether or not you drive a car covered in primer is not an issue here, I was just wanting explanations as to why it can be in primer for extremely long periods of time. I guess it's different for everyone though.

-----------
Words that you can't use in modding: Finished, Perfect, Cheap.
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 10:52 AM
to each their own. when i did my kit and fenders the only time my car was on the road was when i drove it to the body shop to get sprayed. thats just me. i do think allot of people want everyone to know that they have a body kit even if they can't afford the paint. im one to say keep it in the garage until its finished, thast just me. but i can also understand that there are some that are doing major work and thats the way it has to be and i have no issue with that. i mean hell crystal your car in primer looks better then allot of painted cars on this site. youve at least taken the time to make the primer look nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:54 PM
wow...i feel bad for backing her up now. oh and for reference...i have a g.f as well lol

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 3:06 PM
sndsgood, thank you....at least you can appreciate my situation and have your own opinion at the same time. That's something most people on the org don't know how to do anymore.

In response to everything else, you need to realize who made the bad comments first...

"have you seen how many people easily get butt hurt after posting their stuff in the exterior forum??????
alot of people care simply because alot of people mod their car, not for themselves, but to SOLELY get approval of others, or to impress others...."

"the people that do that need more then a car...perhaps a g.f...or b.f whatever floats their boat".

All that was in response to what I had typed; so my comments shouldn't be regarded as anything but response to your offensive, inaccurate comments. I'm married, I don't even post pictures of my car in the exterior forum, and I don't need anyone's approval about anything, let alone my car. BUT of course it's my fault and I'm the bad guy because I responded to the derogatory comments you threw out first.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:15 PM
my comments weren't directed at u in every way...i'm talking about people who only modify their car for the approval of others.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:26 PM
Grillrd wrote:my comments weren't directed at u in every way...i'm talking about people who only modify their car for the approval of others.

exactly.... none of my comments were addressed at crystal.... they were addressed to GRILLRD.... he knew what i was talking about as well as others.

quote boxes come in damn handy, cause you can RE-check the facts posted...

Quote:

All that was in response to what I had typed; so my comments shouldn't be regarded as anything but response to your offensive, inaccurate comments. I'm married, I don't even post pictures of my car in the exterior forum, and I don't need anyone's approval about anything, let alone my car.

BUT of course it's my fault and I'm the bad guy because I responded to the derogatory comments you threw out first

ok so if you dont get offended then CRYSTAL, then OBVIOUSLY IT WASNT DIRECTED AT YOU that alone should have been common sense. if you dont need approval, then obviously, you WERE NOT the object of our posts or agreements.

however since you DID feel offended, then maybe you ARE one that gets butt hurt over it. dont know dont care.... shouldnt really be offended if the statement isnt about you...

then you sit around saying "inaccurate comments" but will try to equate using a quote box with not having a girlfriend. yea....that was remedial at best.

the correlation of getting frustrated is and needed affection or sex is commonly used, and makes more sense, to be honest.

really i dont care if you are offended or not. if you feel you must be the "bad guy" its mainly because you sit around saying

Quote:

If I was fixing my car up for OTHER people's approval, I guess I would have had to change a lot of things by now...but it's my car and I drive it, not them....so I could give a dam less about what anyone thinks.

but then if you DONT give a damn, you wouldnt make some weaksauce comeback like

Quote:

Fact is that the people that are in here quoting, quoting, quoting are the ones that need to get the boyfriend/girlfriend. While you all are quoting @!#$ acting like kings/know-it-alls, I'm either screwing my husband or working on my car.

and

Quote:

ll that was in response to what I had typed; so my comments shouldn't be regarded as anything but response to your offensive, inaccurate comments.

common sense.... cant be offended if you dont care.... obviously you do... and its not inaccurate if you actually look on the exterior forum every once in a while. if you dont know about the ones in question, then dont speak on something you have no clue about.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:12 PM
People with primer will justify their reasons for being in primer.

People that never had or never intended to have primer will justify their reasons for not or never being in primer (for long).

It's that simple...

I've been in primer for more than I've cared to, but in a sense I was forced to. I haven't made the best decisions since then (IE put off getting other things until I get paint), but I had my reasons. I don't really care what other people think though, so if they don't like it, f(_)ck 'em

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:21 PM
I plan on install door poppers on all my doors, then when the handles are removed they will already have the poppers on them. That way there is less for the body shop to do when I take my car in for paint. My front bumper has paint flaking off of it, from pulling into a steep driveway and I forgot how low the front was, ANYWAY, I'm not gonna bother to get it painted again, I'll let it look $hitty until I can afford to get the whole car done.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 5:51 AM
OMG, this is so old. The only reason I thought that you were targeting ME was because if you look back at GRILLD's comments and Events comments earlier, I was the one being quoted when they posted. Therefore it seems logical that they were talking about me.

I apologize if you weren't talking to me or about me, I was mistaken.

And I'm not offended, I'm just trying to stand up for myself.

And to believe this all started over a post about having a primered car. Who even cares? I feel the same as tml057 does and there's no need to make a big deal out of it. I'm SO done with this.

L8tr

Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:03 AM
its cool girlie, no biggie...

thats all i was sayin up top... it wasnt directed towards anyone here really

and thas cool, stand for something or fall for anything attitude, i dig

Friday, September 02, 2005 6:26 PM
Some people build their car to win the Wild Class at a car show, and some people build their car to win the Under Construction class at a car show... Seems like the cheaper way to go...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search