Short rant on why I love my J-body - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Short rant on why I love my J-body
Monday, September 12, 2005 3:13 AM
Well I love my J-body

it's the second car I've ever owned, My previous car was a 1984 Nissan 200SX. I really did like that car too, it was fun to drive in frozen parking lots and well I kept it so well maintained that it didn't have any problems till about 200k miles. Then the clutch started going out.

After my car died in a tragic head on collision (damn pizza girl) I went about 8 months deciding on what car to buy. I saw this Teggy Type R and I wanted it, but it was scooped up before I could get the money together, I tried for a few weeks to find one but they were going for about 12k and that kind of money I didn't have.

Then At this dealership back home called EZ Auto finders, I saw this cavalier, but it wasn't an ordinary cavalier... I remember it sitting there it was near the end of december and everything was cold as a bastard... And I said to myself. "Is that a cavalier? it looks... not like a cavalier" and Low and behold it was the z-24 model. At first I really didn't want to buy it, simply because it was a cavalier, how long would it possibly last me? it had 25k miles on it and was serviced regularly. At this point I pretty much was fairly new to the car scene and figured a cavalier wouldn't do anything speed wise, but I liked how it looked so I got it anyways, Well a few weeks passed and I went to the Automotive forums where people like CRJ would quote from this place called J-body.org so I started coming here, I started out using up my 100 posts almost all in one day.

The car had an injen short ram intake on it when I got it., then shortly after I learned that the plenums of the 2.3 and 2.4 were somewhat interchangeable. So I swapped the manifold. It took a while too because I got screwed over by Exploited Racing and well, to this day I haven't seen the gasket I ordered nor the money I sent, Damn them straight to hell. Eventually Chris Fontana had a GP for the adapter plates for the manifold swap. I jumped right on that and got it. of course I dove into my cavy head first and took me about 4 hours of work to get the old intake plenum off and put the new one on.

I started my car up expecting the worst, thinking that "oh @!#$... I hope this works." Because people constantly say how the HO manifold swap sometimes @!#$ up and doesn't work right, But it started up... idled high...... and went down! to about 800 RPM's so I literally jumped out of my pants at the fact that it actually worked without a hitch (well not entirely. I need to swap out the TPS because it doesn't like when I mash down hard on the gas.. the car bogs down, but eh, easily fixed with a new sensor) I thoroughly enjoyed how the engine sounded at this point and I thought to myself "why stop there"

I got some Used enkei rims for a pretty good deal and etc etc. and Being as though I'm poor for most of the time. I figured I'd go find the Secret cams.....

And I did, They're paper weights right now. but as the days go by I grow more and more bold to try and swap them out myself. the only thing I'm afraid of right now is setting timing, I never did learn how to set it right, my dad could do it in his sleep. but he was always so busy and I was packing to move down to San Diego, and we never got a chance to put the cams in.....

Maybe if I could convince my friend Chad to help me out, I already have a good idea what I have to do to get those cams in.

Going through the racing forums I see people like Karo running 13's on a N/A engine and I think to myself "@!#$house" I wanna do that too, granted it may take me a while but I can do it, in fact. I actually wanna try a turbocharger setup someday. I'm very good at keeping up regular maintenence and I've fixed cars with my dad on several occasions and have had no problem. I mean we put together an 87? AMC Eagle, brand new crate engine and everything, and I was what.. .11? 12? So I figure if I just got bold enough to have the car sidewalked for about 3-5 days, I could get some of the things I wanted to get done, done.

But yes, I hope to someday build a fun car. I don't want to be the fastest car in the world. I don't wanna have to strip my interior or rip out anything in my car. It's my daily driver, but who says your daily driver can't be taken to the track? And who says that a cavalier can't be a fun car to drive?

Of course, people have done some pretty mean @!#$ to my car, on the last day of high school, someone knifed the side of my car.... and of course. I don't have the money to repaint it. but someday I will after I graduate from college and get a decent paying job, that'll be the first thing I do. Get a nice fresh coat of paint put on it, maybe a turquoise color, being that's my favorite color, or hell, even keep it the factory color, Silver is very neutral anyways and goes great with any other color.

For those of you who have made it down this far I'm glad, I love you, with mouth, Alright not really but It means a lot to me. There's just a bit more. hang tough.

But all in all. I love my J-body. I'm glad I bought it, I'm happy for every dime I've ever spent on my car. I just love my car in general. And god forbid someone hits me because if they do, I'm gonna rip out their jugulars, but if it's a really hot girl. I might just hit her over the head with whatever broken pieces I find on the ground.

I love my j-body. I don't care if it's not an Eco. I don't care that the Quad 4 style engine is old technology. I don't care that a lot of people prefer the eco over the LD9. I have what I have and I work with what I got. I have no reason not to.

Maybe someday when I have the skills and knowhow, I'll steal my mom's car, it has a 3800 SC motor in it, and I'll put it in my cavalier. But eh. It's only a dream. who knows. The car barely has 34k miles on it and I plan on keeping it for a while. With low resale value, screw it. I may as well keep it until it becomes a vintage classic. I can see it now. the year is 2050

*** And here's Rodney figueroa with his 2001 Chevy cavalier. Wow it's sure great to see one of these things nowadays. It's hard to believe cars used wheels back then instead of the new hovering system we have now.. but it sure is nice to see***

I'm dreaming....

Oh well. I think it's about time to say it.....

End Rant.

Forever a work in Progress

Re: Short rant on why I love my J-body
Monday, September 12, 2005 3:14 AM
okay... maybe not so short...

Monday, September 12, 2005 4:33 AM
First off I cant actually BELIEVE I read that whole thing.

I feel the same way you do about my 2200 that you feel about your LD9.
PEOPLE!! Stop hating on the pushrods

Glad you love your J so much, the only way I would get rid of mine is if someone offered me a straight up trade for a brand new GTO. Not gonna happen.....

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, September 12, 2005 9:37 AM
holy @!#$. I actually got a reply!

Monday, September 12, 2005 12:34 PM
I was bored what else was I gonna do.......

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, September 12, 2005 12:49 PM
Good read.

I REALLY like my 2000 LS, 2.4. Very few problems, well one I guess. The fuel level sensor went wacky a while back and had that changed. The 5 speed tranny is great. 2250rpm at 60mph, 3000 rpm at 80mph. The traction control works gooood in the snow, the RDS radio tells me the station and sometimes the name of the song if the station sends it. The AC is cold cold cold, no service needed. Just changed the coolant at 100,000 miles, still looked new. Power windows are getting a little slow, but so am I!

This is my 3rd J car. I had a 1st gen, 2nd gen and now a 3rd gen. I hope I get 200k out of her. Only 98,500 miles to go.

34 mpg cruising the highway at legal speeds, running M1EP right now, shooting for 10 OCI's.

I Luv my Cavi too.
Monday, September 12, 2005 1:36 PM
Jbody2nr wrote:only way I would get rid of mine is if someone offered me a straight up trade for a brand new GTO. Not gonna happen.....

lmao i thought you said someone DID offer you a trade for a GTO and you refused it i was going to ask you what u were smoking at the time.

i love my car just like you guys to and im glad that you found a good reliable car.....

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Monday, September 12, 2005 1:55 PM
^^^Uh no I would trade then sell it and by 5 J's Duuuhhhh.......

Monday, September 12, 2005 3:00 PM
Jbody2nr wrote:^^^Uh no I would trade then sell it and by 5 J's Duuuhhhh.......

lmao

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Monday, September 12, 2005 3:17 PM

I too read it, i don't have a J- body right now i'm forced to drive a honda til i can get myelf a j-body for cheap! i too don't care abtou ecotecs, or 2200 to me "as long is it's J! then i's okay!" i do perfer the Cavy over the fire nothign agianst it, but i feel the same way liek you do man! i loved all my j's an dnow i miss them ore than ever!! everytime i get on and see all your guys's and gurls posting up nice pics of there project j's i get a tear build up, adn i sjut wana re do my cavy all over again. . . . but things will be much different as long as the J bopdy god answers my prayers and gets me another one. maybe i can trade my teg for a nothe cavy. one can only hope!! but keep up the good work and and dont 'let no one put you down you own a J feel lucky!! cuz i don't

" ..TQ is SPEED, HP is BRAGGING RIGHTS.. "

Monday, September 12, 2005 3:26 PM
im with you man I have a 95 sunfire all tricked out cavy front end conversion painted laguna seca blue.. bMW M3 colour and i love it...... 270,000 kms on the car no problems..... gonna put in a newer motor soon when this one gets weak

Monday, September 12, 2005 4:39 PM
i just wanna say that i love you man

Monday, September 12, 2005 4:43 PM
I love you too man. but I'm afraid my heart belongs to my J-body.

hahah I think we all need girlfriends.. or at least I do.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 8:02 AM
i had a 2nd gen rag top, with a ripped up top, hole in the passager side rear wheel well. it was bright aqua met. RS with the 2.2 and a 5-speed. and the lower half of the intake removed because no one made a coldair intake for it. i had to sell it. my ex girlfriend blew the clutch up, i helped a bit. it was a good car everybody ripped on me for it. i wish i would have kept it and put an ecotec in it. i love that car so much that i bought an 04 cavy LS power everything, that you can get, with a 5-speed. quick as hell, i wish the 108mph limiter wasn't there. we always get crap even form the ppl with the CRX's that only have the small 1.5L and a fart pipe

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:25 AM
def a good read man, pretty similar to how i went with my car. I went to a dealership looking for a car, i used to own a base model 2.2L sedan automatic cavalier, and i swore to myself i would not buy another one. I test drove a few cars, none i liked. Then i saw my 01 Z24 sitting there. Just out of curiousity i took it for a test drive to compare it to my old one, damn i instantly fell in love with it. I bought it that day.

Its kinda funny, anyone who doesnt own a cavalier thinks they are useless junk, people look at them actually below a civic in some cases. BUt anyone who owns a cavalier just loves it to death.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Tuesday, September 13, 2005 10:29 AM
dirty elf wrote:i just wanna say that i love you man

x2

Visit all new Team JDF Website - Team JDF Promoter

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:00 AM
-JaysonZ24- wrote:
Its kinda funny, anyone who doesn't own a cavalier thinks they are useless junk, people look at them actually below a civic in some cases. BUt anyone who owns a cavalier just loves it to death.

Ain't that the truth. I bought my 2000LS with every option available, except for the sunroof. Even the rear spoiler because I thought it added a little pizzaz to my old girl.

I had a bunch of GM dollars on my credit card and manged to walk out the door with it for $11,300.

Now 102,000 miles later, I still like it just as much as the day I first drove it.

Last weekend the factory battery went kaput, so I did have to buy a new one of those.

PS - I bought a set of Cooper tires for it when the factory raubber wore out at 36,000 miles. Nearly have 70,000 miles on them now. I'll probably have to get a new set here in a few months. I will stick with Coopers I think. I'm considering Kuhmo's, but don't like the idea of going offshore for my tires.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:46 PM
I bet you're glad we got that "TPS" problem taken care of.

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:21 PM
Did the tps sensor fix the problem?

Anyways wanna race on teh 24th?

My Car
Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:52 AM
Chad. I swear to christ. If I could split in two people I would. Thanks for your help.

Now give me your turbo kit? maybe?

okay maybe not.

hah

oh and the TPS thing. Well since I can't look in my engine bay while I drive my car I couldn't tell.

Chad helped. Turns out my asswacked intake collapsed on itself.

go figure. False alarm though. My bad.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search