how many of you drive your car in the snow - Page 4 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: how many of you drive your car in the snow
Thursday, October 13, 2005 12:14 PM
Grimor wrote:I drive my 05 cavalier in the snow, it's my beater.

An 05...a beater...?

Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:46 PM
my 05

it's in good shape, just needs painted.

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Thursday, October 13, 2005 7:25 PM
Mine unfortunately is a daily driver, taking the front snow plow off, putting the stock wheels back on and trying to deal with the snow. The sportlines don't help matters either. I got stuck a few times here in Michigan, hopefully I'll have enough money for some snow tires to put on the Z wheels.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:06 PM
I drive mine everywhere.
I work construction, and we've had a lot of rain lately. Just last Friday, I literally buried it up to the bumpers in mud at the job site. I was turning around to go home cuz of rain, and the tires started slipping a little bit, then boom....it just sank. The other guys had to push me out just so I could get back to the gravel road. I still haven't washed it, and my wheels are covered in mud. lol

Neutiquam erro.

Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:24 PM
drive mine year round. I wash it alot so the salt doesn't sit. and that works, cause my old car was driven for 7 winters before I sold it, and it didn't have a spec of rust underneath, which is rare for Neons. Cavs are good in the snow. also good in the extreme cold (-35) always starts easy, heat is pretty good
Friday, October 14, 2005 8:14 PM
Good thing is i have to drive my car until feb. and then my parents are gettin ga new car and i get my moms old car is a 94 v6 sable lol ah hell it'll work and i drive it anywhere

Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:03 PM
i've drove my the past 3 winters.... finally she won't see another winter! WOO HOO!!!!...

Oh yea.... ABS SUCKS in the winter and so does trac control in my opinon.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:52 AM
i never had a problem with snow in my cav. dont drive like a moron with 2 inches of snow on the ground during a blizzard and you should be ok

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:10 AM
i drove mine last winter in the snow and it was prolly driven 2 years before that in the snow. I dont really want to drive it in the snow this year. It does so very well in the snow, never been stuck to the point where i couldnt rock the car out. But this year im thinking of buy some cheap POS and parking the cavalier. There isnt a whole lot done to mine, but i just hate seeing all that snow, ice and salt on the car.

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:33 PM
whats snow? i never happen to see that sort of thing down here in the sunny florida!!!

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Sunday, October 16, 2005 8:47 PM
i've driven mine in the last 4 winters... last year was the most fun cause i dropped it with Sprints and i was rolling on 14's with 60 series tires...

it was like a little snow plow, haha

they supposedly stopped using salt on the city roads here, they have some other stuff now. I forgot what it is tho.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 6:01 AM
sunstealth wrote:mine was winter driven last year,never ever got stuck and I live in Québec (so we get pretty much the worst snow falls) luckily they dont use salt anymore on the road !

And its impossible to get stuck in the snow with a cavy/sunfire

I have to agree with you, you cant get stuck in the snow with a cavy/sunfire

I live in Quebec too...

I drive mine in the snow too...

But I may buy my self a 2003-2004 cavy next summer...

So I'll keep my old and stock 97 cavy for the winter, and my 2003-2004 will be my summer baby

'97 Chevy Cavalier

I'm officially an Ecotec whore!

Monday, October 24, 2005 12:27 PM
I've driven my z24 in the snow since I bought it in 98. I'm on the road constantly for work and never had any problems with it. Based out of London, ON and look after a couple of places that are two and three hours north. Go there a couple of times a week. The only time the car got stuck was the big snow storm last year just before Christmas. Story is kind of funny: cav had to go in for service and I had to go north, so I left it with my husband and took his Ram 4x4. We had about 30 inches of snow fall during the day. Came round the corner that night and was laughing at the sucker who got their car stuck in the middle of the road halfway up the block. Got a little closer and realized that it was MY car! Parked the 4x4 in the driveway and hubby came out of the house cursing a blue streak at the car. He told me he'd push if I drove. Hopped into the cav, got it rocking and backed it out of there without his help. Stuffed it in the driveway for the night and told him we'd deal with it in the morning. Found out later that he got it stuck six times in the 10k round trip between our house and the dealership. He told me he can't believe he makes me drive that piece of *&$#, especially in winter. (I think he relies on the 4x4 too much compared to driving ability.) I prefer driving my cav over his dogde in winter in almost all situations. Plus, I'd drive my cav in the winter over any of the minivans the other people at work have; they get stuck way too much!
Monday, October 24, 2005 2:27 PM

My bad-weather vehicle

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:07 AM
I live in Minnesota and I own a 1998 Pontiac Sunfire Sedan and I drive through almost all of the snow I used to drive through with my old four wheel drive pickup. I have driven through snow in North Dakota that was flush with my hood and made it just fine. If your worried about salt just make sure you get your ride washed weekly if possible make sure you get your undercarriage washed to. In Minnesota we have tons of salt so I make sure my ride gets cleaned.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:25 PM
the 05 is going to stay in the garage all winter...which in pittsburgh will be from the first snowfall...which ironically was today...untill probably april...when its all gone...lol...ok maybe not that much...but no the car will never see snow or salt...

i drive my beater 94 RS everyday...best 800 bucks i ever spent...

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:53 PM
my 04 will be out for its second winter this year, i'll be taking the 17's off in about a week to put back on the stock 14's. I wish I had a beater, but school rapes me and I dont have any spare money.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:23 PM
i bought my Z in jan so i had to drive it, and i drove it last winter too... i actually just put it away about 2 weeks ago, even though there is no snow here yet(which is odd) and its been really warm the past couple of days but i aint worried. i put WAY too many kms on it in the short time i've owned it, i went from 97,xxxkms when i bought it to 139,xxxkms as it sits right now... and its only gonna be 2 years since i've owned it, thats 20,000kms a year.. way too much... and it gets stuck real easy with the sportlines...

for me its more about keeping the kms low, and i dont even have a 2nd car to drive for winter.. so im walking... who knows it might not even come out next summer, depends if i feel i've got enough done on it... which isnt looking good, considering i just lost ANOTER job...

-------------
Now Blazing: Black Domina
Wednesday, October 26, 2005 8:38 PM
Daily Driver for me too. Salt and salt trucks suck a$$!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 9:02 PM
If and when it snows out here in Washington, I still drive in it. My Sunfire saw a bit of snow last year (most of it was 5" of solid ice). I just take the front 16's off and throw on the stocky 14's just in case I have to chain up. Aside from that, no problems whatsoever.

My Cutty's last year of driving in snow, I ended up in a ditch. It was rolling with open headers sorta (exhaust busted off before the cat and was still in the ditch when it was towed out so I left it there) and a bent right rear shock. 2 weeks later, the head gaskets blew (they were going already), car overheated and cracked the hell outta the block. I miss that car.....

Friday, October 28, 2005 3:21 PM
I've driven my 2001 sunfire through 3 Eastern Canadian winters with lots of salt and plenty of snow. I found it to handle great in snow, but not quite so good in slush. I use winter tires which makes it a little easier and its also something i highly reccomend for any winter driving. If you're worried about the salt, make sure to wax the car thoroughly before the winter and if you can get the underside of your car rustproofed to prevent it from rotting out on you.

2001 Sunfire, 2.2L
Automatic
4Dr

Friday, October 28, 2005 8:36 PM
I can't wait for it to get colder here. I've got my winter tires all ready to go and I'm dying to see what the car will look like with them on it.

Monday, October 31, 2005 3:00 PM
I still have to get my tires mounted to the winter wheels. I did put a stock hood on, though, the other day to save the carbon fiber from the harshness of the winter...

Monday, October 31, 2005 3:16 PM
I take my front lip off for the winter, but that's about it for prep beyond the tires.

Got some 225/40/17 Blizzak WS-50's mounted up and ready to go though. Just waiting for the temperature to drop so I don't just chew them up. They feel softer than those fancy white erasors right now.

Monday, October 31, 2005 3:35 PM
I stuck with a high performance all season tire. Went back to the trusted 215/45/17 Yokohama Avid H4S. I'll also be raising the coilovers an inch or so so I don't rip off my front lip or scoop up snow with the exhaust when I back out of the driveway...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search