se vs. gt - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
se vs. gt
Friday, September 23, 2005 2:20 AM
what is the difference between the se and gt sunfire? mine is the se with the 2.4
and just wanted to know how or if to make it a gt

Re: se vs. gt
Friday, September 23, 2005 2:28 AM
front and rear bumpers side skirts and dual exhaust....................but if yer gonna do all that you might as well put a nice kit on it and put a GOOD dual exhaust on it

God of War: BEST ACTION GAME(2005 Video Game Awards)
Friday, September 23, 2005 3:41 AM
thanks
Friday, September 23, 2005 6:00 AM
You cannot make your car into a gt. If the VIN says it's an SE, then it's an SE.

There are, however, a few nice goodies that you can get from a GT to improve your ride.

The GT came with tilt steering, a leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob, and brake handle. All those things can be nice additions to your car. They also came with upgraded seats with a lumbar support in the driver's seat. Probably not worth swapping in, but it's another notable difference.

Friday, September 23, 2005 6:10 AM
Don't forget that our GT's (00-02) came with fog lights...and MOST had power windows and doorlocks.

Friday, September 23, 2005 9:32 AM
• GT has different wheels

• The '95-'99 years had a different shape front turn signals, circles on the GT & more of a rectangle on the SE. The bumper is shaped a little differently because of that.

Wild Weasel wrote:They also came with upgraded seats with a lumbar support in the driver's seat.

My '99 does not have that, I'm not sure if that's true of all '95-'99 style.

This would be a good item to add into the faq since I've seen it a few times & it's about as general as a lot of stuff in there.

Friday, September 23, 2005 12:05 PM
Was the TCS switch exclusive to the GT?

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Friday, September 23, 2005 4:11 PM
Actually Weasle, all the things that you listed that came with the GT were actually options for most years for the GT and were also availible all years as options for the SE. Although prob% 90 of the GT's were ordered with all options so... But My 99 SE had all the options you listed and then some, including the 2.4, but I had to order it. I also have a 02 SE with all the same options as well, along with the Eco.

Dickie: As far a performance differences, there were very few, when you compare a GT to an SE with the 2.4. The GT has a 22m front sway bay, The SE when ordered with the 2.4 received a 18m bar. The GT has a 18m internal rear sway bar, no SE's reguardless of the engine had a rear bar. GT's also received different part number control arm bushings and trailing bar bushings and shocks/struts (not really sure how much these different part numbers made). And GT's only came with 16" rims with the exception of the vert's (which were only available with 15's). The largest factory rim you could get on an SE was the 15". Those along with the obvious apprence diffences were the only none negotiable differences between the SE and the GT all other differences were availalbe as options for both models.

Later,
Skinny J

Tara, I will love and miss you forever, you will never be forgotten
http://tara-nagel.memory-of.com/

Saturday, September 24, 2005 12:10 PM
my 96 GT doesnt have any options i dont think rubber wheel and shift nob no power windows or locks no remote start i do have tilt power mirrors and the chair thingy that i dont know how it works i think its broke

1998 Cavalier
1995 Trans Am
1984 Camaro Z28
Sunday, September 25, 2005 9:23 PM
I have a 1996 Sunfire SE 2.4 5 spd. it has every thing that weasel said including the seats. the only thing that I can think of is it doesn't have a sunroof. I didn't relisize that they had different sway bars and shocks and struts.

View my MySpace
Monday, September 26, 2005 6:08 AM
I know that the leather interior features were available as options (or standard, depending on year) on the up-level SE sedans but had no idea you could get them in the coupes at all. That's news to me.

Monday, September 26, 2005 1:37 PM
Kevin: Yup it was part of the sport interior package, with the lumber and seat nets, but rare to find on a SE unless the car was special ordered, like mine were .

Another rare thing to see is the "Oh Shiit Bar" or "passenger assist handle" which was part of the convience package (that included the bar, overhead storage compartment, and map lights). The bar was only available on coupes and was delated out of the package along with the overhead compartment if you have a sunroof, (athough you can add it to all J's from 95-02, even if you have a sunroof).

Later
Skinny J

Monday, September 26, 2005 3:14 PM
Skinny J wrote:Kevin: Yup it was part of the sport interior package, with the lumber and seat nets, but rare to find on a SE unless the car was special ordered, like mine were .

Another rare thing to see is the "Oh Shiit Bar" or "passenger assist handle" which was part of the convience package (that included the bar, overhead storage compartment, and map lights). The bar was only available on coupes and was delated out of the package along with the overhead compartment if you have a sunroof, (athough you can add it to all J's from 95-02, even if you have a sunroof).

Later
Skinny J

Have you got a picture of this thing? I know what the overhead compartment looks like, but don't recall ever seeing a handle up there.

Monday, September 26, 2005 4:34 PM
I have no overhead compartment or "Oh Sh*t Bar" even though I have been told many many times that I need some. and I was surprised too when I saw how many features it came with.

View my MySpace
Monday, September 26, 2005 4:53 PM
Pyros777 wrote:Was the TCS switch exclusive to the GT?

No, my 2.2 SE Sunfire has it - that and the 4 speed auto. I'm not sure if it came packaged with the 4spd seeing as how the only other options mine has is the sun and sound package (CD/Sunroof)
Monday, September 26, 2005 9:35 PM
Kevin: The handle was located about 2" from the edge of the headliner in the center of the door opening on the passenger side. I can get ya a pic but it'll take a couple of days, I have a very nice Nikon camera, but it ain't digital, lol.

Later
Skinny J

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:21 AM
My 1997 2.4 SE sunfire was dressed out like a GT minus the body options and exhaust. My seats were not as nice as the GT but you could upgrade them and i did have the lumbar in mine.. both the SE and the 02 GT i bought (with a wrecked back i had to have that in both cars) The rims that came on the 97 2.4s were the same rims on a toyota cav. not as nice as the GT rims but still rims not hubs.

~OPSE

Tuesday, September 27, 2005 8:33 AM
firebug wrote:I have no overhead compartment or "Oh Sh*t Bar" even though I have been told many many times that I need some. and I was surprised too when I saw how many features it came with.

my friend is actually planning to install an "oh sh*t handle" in my car due to the ENORMOUS pick up my 2200 has haha

Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:51 PM
never mind I do have the over head compartment, sorry

View my MySpace
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search