i remeber the times ???? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: i remeber the times ????
Sunday, October 16, 2005 11:14 AM
^^^^ and it is. although you would get more "quailty" responses back then, you still had asshats. just not as many as now. like one per post opposed to the 5 or 6 you get now.

The JBO has never been a picnic from day one. but it has slowly evolved into troll central.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, October 16, 2005 3:57 PM
There are far worse forums when it comes to sarcastic and negative comments. and I get flamed by the majority almost everyday for even driving a sunfire, much less modifying anything on it.

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:11 PM
I remember the times when...

4 cylinder "performance parts" were not available off-the-shelf. Anywhere. At any price.

A 15 second run wasn't a "good job" thing or a "getting there" thing...it was a "so what broke?" thing. If you took a project car to the track and only ran 15.anything, the questions were "why'd you bother bringing it already? Finish that motor!".

I remember when I was swapping motors into cars where they didn't belong before it was SCC's cover story every month...2.7L V6 '91 Civic Hatchback, 3.0L V6 '84 Omni, 2.0L '81 Civic 4-door (Prelude motor), to name a few.

and ESPECIALLY...

I remember when the "sport compact scene" was populated with a dedicated bunch of REAL TUNERS AND BUILDERS, that ALL knew what they were doing. We were all old-school gearheads that simply transferred our mechanical knowledge from V8's to L4's and said "what if?". The speed shops laughed at all of us, but gladly took our money when we ordered custom cams from companies like Crane and Iskenderian. They gave us looks when we put in orders for weird TRW piston part numbers they'd never seen, with our own spec sheets for valve cutouts, compression risers and oil passages...but again they gladly took our money.

I remember what it was like going to the track and being laughed at for bringing a "rice rocket" onto their hallowed grounds. I also remember laughing in the return lane at the V8 muscle I had just blown out by several cars. Low 13's from a rice rocket equalled instant curiosity from these guys.

I remember them looking repeatedly for the bottle. They searched high and low for my turbo. The lack of a supercharger puzzled them. Even worse was the fact that the engine bay looked completely stock. Stock Honda air cleaner housings sit very nicely on Weber progressive-secondary 2 barrel carburetors, actually The braided oil cooler lines were hidden beneath dirty engine wire loom snatched from another Honda junk-yard car. The remote oil-filter mount was in the fenderwell. The Hurst automatic ratchet shifter was tucked neatly under a stock Honda center console. The body was 5 different colors, if you counted primer. There was NO WAY this POS rice rocket would beat their cars. But it did.

And I remember the reaction. Nobody hated me. Nobody yelled at me, or said I cheated. Nobody made excuses for their car running slower than mine. They knew why they lost, but they were more interested in how I had won. There were handshakes, slaps on the back, congratulations, and lots of questions. There was alot of "I didn't even know you could do that" talk. And there was alot of respect.

I remember all that, and I wish it were all still true.

I remember today a "scene" filled with arrogance. A scene that, for the most part, has built itself out of the APC aisle of Pep Boys. It has a built in divisiveness to the point where I'm surprised anyone likes anyone. A scene that, as you read this, is busy tearing itself apart.

I remember today that there are painfully few honest resources for information. SCC, the long-time "bible" of the scene, has become an advertiser's rag. Anyone that runs big ad-space can get a glowing review, no matter how BS their product's claim is.

I remember today that misinformation runs rampant. Internet forums, formerly the home of the knowledgable people willing to answer questions and dole out the right information, have been overrun. They're now running flame wars, taxing moderators' ability to keep the peace and chasing away the people that founded the very scene they're fighting over. Left are people that talk out of their ass, spouting crap like it's fact and flaming when they're called on it.

I remember today that the real tuners...the guys that built the "legendary" cars from each of their respective forums and gave out free information and help to anyone that would ask, have since abandoned those same forums to be destroyed by their own means. Those guys are still building their cars and running them, usually to better success than the people they used to help. Think about alot of the people discussed in this thread, and you'll notice that most of them didn't get "out of the scene". They're still here, and just avoiding this place because...well...it's this place.

I remember today that what's left is alot of people driving crappy econo-box cars are pointing and laughing at other people driving equally crappy econo-box cars, like there's any superiority in levels of mediocrity.

Yeah, I remember. Some days, I wish I didn't.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:14 PM
preach on!

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, October 16, 2005 6:44 PM
*bows down*

pirates kick ninja asses, f00
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search