Does the World Need GM? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Does the World Need GM?
Sunday, November 06, 2005 8:12 PM
JAMMIT wrote:^^^ No that is a fact, and what you said is typical ignorant pro-union spin.
how is calling you a dumb ass pro union spin? hahhahah

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:19 PM
Grimor wrote:
JAMMIT wrote:^^^ No that is a fact, and what you said is typical ignorant pro-union spin.
how is calling you a dumb ass pro union spin? hahhahah

Yeah, that's right. I knew you didn't have an educated answer. So tell me what Jr. high did you drop out of again?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, November 06, 2005 10:02 PM
I think many areas of the country and a few worldwide would be devasted if Gm somehow went completely under.

But to say the fact that GM owns some stock in a company or that they develop a motor with a company means the company in question would be in any kind of trouble if GM failed is pretty dumb. Right now there is really nothing they do that can't and wouldnt be filled by someone else in the marketplace with almost no issues.

Also, the unions GM have to deal with are out of control. When my dad started he was making the same amount of money after 90 days that everyone else including people who had been there for 20 years made. WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE TO WORK HARD WHEN YOUR ACTIONS WON'T CAUSE YOUR PAY TO DECREASE OR INCREASE, YOUR PAY IS GARUNTEED AND YOU ALMOST CAN'T BE FIRED. Its the same reason communism doesn't work. Pay and incentives should be on a personel basis that promotes drive and hard work. Any other job in the world if a worker needs a quick hand from a fellow employee he gets it. In the UAW, the wrong man lends you a hand for 1 minute and he will get reported and written up by union officials. Its retarted beaucracy that needs to be stopped.
Sunday, November 06, 2005 10:45 PM
OK, I'll chime in on this. First off, the world would survive without GM, but there would be a major depression brought on if the company went under. I sincerely hope GM never goes under, or is bought out by another company. Honestly, who wants to be driving around in a Toyota Corvette???

Secondly, unions are a good thing, when properly lead and used for their intended purpose. They are the reason most heavy duty manual laborers aren't making $6.50 an hour with no benefits or pension plans. But, on the other hand, some dumbass tightening one bolt on a new G6 doesn't need to be making $25 an hour, with the company basically paying them until they die. You want a financially independant retirement??? Then budget accordingly, and don't live outside your means. You want benefits??? Pay for them. A company is being gracious if they're covering you for part of them. Don't bitch because you have to fork out some money for yourself.

And common sense needs to be applied also. People are just so goddamn greedy, it makes me sick. Does McDonalds need unions??? Probably not. Does GM??? Yes. But when the unions are raping the company to satisfy themselves, they're biting the hand that feeds them, and that's a bad thing.

A union is a catch 22, plain and simple.

My solution, scrap the UAW, and start over anew.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, November 07, 2005 6:59 AM
^^^ Good call Roof, But sadly 90% of unions are not used for their intended purpose. They need to be regulated.
A perfect example:
A good friend of mine worked with this psyco Russian guy that was his supervisor. The guy flipped out one day in front of me and punched my friend in the face....flat out.
We were a Union shop so we went to the Union Steward and filed a Grivance.

A week later with no rhyme or reason he was fired....not the supervisor that hit him. And the union backed the Supervisor. Why? well my friend did nothing to provoke the Supervisor, but as it turns out our lazy a$$ good for nothing Stew was on that Supervisors Bowling team and he fired my friend as a favor to a friend. Unions are bull*hit.

Costco Wholesales pay ALL their employees a starting wage of $10.50 with an automatic .25 cent raise every quarter. As long as your record is clean, and you work hard. The 5 union Costco's in California....the union actually screws Costco workers in these stores. They start at only $10 and hour.....a quarter less than every store on the planet. and only get .25 cent raises every like 1000 hours they work. That equals out for a 40 hour worker to roughly a .50 cent raise yearly. Where as all other Non-union Costco workers make a dollar raise a year. Plus you pay a $30 dollar month due to the union. The union didn't provide any better benefits than what Costco already provides. Pretty much you pay them for screwing you out of .50 cents a year on raises.

Now you tell me.....

Would you rather work for a non-union Costco or a union ran Costco?

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 1:29 PM
JAMMIT wrote:^^^ No that is a fact, and what you said is typical ignorant pro-union spin. So tell me union nut swinger? if the union is sooooo good for America, then why are the best "union" jobs going elsewhere?

Two words: Corporate greed.
In a capitalist nation you try to maximize profit, hence in this case look for areas where manufacturing jobs can be had for $3 per hour. And you know these CEOs will not get a pay cut from their six to sometimes 7 figure salary.
Although I will say union are sometimes exaggerating the salaries for the work that these blue-collar workers do, but in the end at least it is adjusted to the cost of living of today's inflation.
Unions are there to protect the little people that practice the Machiavellian approach to running corporates and they are mainly the white-collar workers in that big blue GM building in Detroit.

back on topic... .
Quote:

Does the World Need GM?

Who else is going to manufacture rental fleets?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:17 PM
I am in a Union, I will admit there is Pros and Cons with them. Yes the Unions are need of cuts now from what they were when GM had more of the Market Share. (If GM was selling 1,000,000 more vehicles a year you wouldn't hear none of this) Well GM doesn't have as much market share so they are not making the money they used to and they need to Cut somewhere and the Unions need to make cuts just like the people at the top needs to. (example level 3 and higher managment lost OT pay back in 2000)

But is this all of the Unions Fault No you have to remember GM agreed to the Contracts.

ok sorry for getting off track

Tuesday, November 08, 2005 3:35 PM
back on topic, GM would never truly go away. Someone would buy them. Hopefully Toyota. I mean if Renault would buy Nissan with over 700 billion....with a "b" in debt, then certainly someone would pounce on a premium American nameplate like Chevy or Pontiac. I think Toyota would do amazing things with GM.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:30 PM
Our politicians are killing our companies, not unions. They let China, Japan, ETC. sell stuff over here for less than what it cost them to make it ,in order to kill our companies and our government allows it. The other countries are not stupid enough to let us sell our cars cheap over there. They tax them or don't even allow them to sell there. Even with high prices the people overseas buy american products.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search