Would you buy it? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Would you buy it?
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:06 PM

A good friend of my family is a car delaer and he often calls to tell us about good deals they have. Well he called today saying they pickup up a brand new 05 cavalier(base) from auction. It has almost 500 miles on it because it went to auction from a different state. He said he could give it to me for about $9,000.

I know seing its already a year old the value has gone down but im not worried about that. My car has 28,000 miles and i owe $7,4XX. So I look at it as for $1,500 more i get a new car. The only down side its a automatic, but thats not that bad because my fiance doesnt drive stick, so this is better for us.

The only catch is that with my trade in I have to either A) buy new parts to replace aftermarket ones or B) trade my old parts with the new car.

I dont know the color of it yet, i'll find out more info this week. So would you do this? Does it sound like a good idea?

Re: Would you buy it?
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:54 PM
Why was it in the auction? Make sure you find out full history of the car.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:24 PM
yeah when they are usually in auctions they are usually messed up, body or engine wise. check it out good.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:07 AM
You owe $74xx on your current car and are looking to buy a $9000 car.

Do you think you're going to get $7400 for your car and only owe $9000???

I just did a quick check and it would appear that if your car is in immaculate condition, it MAY be worth as much as $7200 CAD. Good luck with trying to get $7k+ USD out of it.

You've got a new car with not a lot of miles on it. Unless there's something wrong with it, I don't see any reason to make this switch.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:47 AM
Quote:

Why was it in the auction? Make sure you find out full history of the car.

Quote:

yeah when they are usually in auctions they are usually messed up, body or engine wise. check it out good.

IF the car only has 500 miles on it, who cares where the hell it has been, or where it came from, ever hear of warranty, I'm sure the car still has some on it at least untill 2008 or 36,000 miles. Just becasue it is an auction vehicle has nothing to do with the car being "Junk" or "pretty messed up" if your family friend has been dealing cars for a while, I'm sure that he is not going to sell you some peice of @!#$ car just to make a buck. IF he owns an actual chevy dealer and franhices new chevrolet vehicles than I really wouldn;t worry about the car at all then. I work at one of the biggest chevy dealerships in the state of wisconsin, and half of our inventory is comprised of 04 and 05 vehicles. How do we get them you say, well the thing is, is that if you franchise chevrolet vehicles that means that you are allowed to go and purchase vehicles from GM sales, or to put it bluntly, an auction that GM has. GM sells cars that are either turned in from a lease, or where used as rental cars, or maybe even the car was used by sombody at GM, for a demo car. As far s getting 7400 for your car, don't think that it is gonna happen, depreciation sucks and we have alot of it in our cars. So don't be suprised when you find out that you have negative equity in your cav. But if it was me, I woudl just keep the car that you now. Trying to put it back to factory and tehn getting the most in for trade in value just seems like too much of a hassle.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:44 AM
So I just talked to him again and found out a little more info on the car. The car is a base 2005 cavalier with 478 miles on it. It was used as a test drive car but had a hard time selling becasue of the color. Rally Yellow. The color of my 04 cavalier. The car came from up North, he didnt say where but im in MA so there only like 4 states north of me.
The car has no damage. It went to auction becasue the origanal dealership was having trouble selling it and they wanted to get ride of it.

So im going to go down there and check it out and see what I can get for my trade. If the final number is under $11,000 im going to take it. I paid $11,800 for my 04 brand new.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:49 AM
I told you that you wouldn't have to worry about the car being a lemon, or anything bad like that. It's an 05 for christ sake, it's not even a year old when it comes to financing.

I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:55 AM
^^^ very true, plus it still comes with GM's wonderfull 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:16 AM
Wait a moment... you owe $7300 now and you're willing to owe $11000 on a car that's only a year newer?

So you'll pay nearly $4000 to knock a year off the age of your car? There's got to be more to this story than you're telling. What's wrong with your car?

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:28 AM
Quote:

So you'll pay nearly $4000 to knock a year off the age of your car? There's got to be more to this story than you're telling. What's wrong with your car?

My car is in perfect shape. But I have 28,000 miles. I have only 1/2 year left on the warranty with 2 1/2 years left to pay it. Thats scary on a economy chevy.

Im not possitive on buying this new car but I looking into it. I tihnk the comfort of a warranty (plus I can get the extended) is worth it. Plus the auto trans will really help my
fiance out. She has a auto 05 cobalt ls, but when ever we go out we take my car. If I drink we usually take a cab home. This way she can just drive my car home. (she does not drive stick)

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:36 AM
Wait I lied. I do have one problem with my car. It doesnt get me sex. J/k
My feul pump is very loud at times. It comes and goes. I've brang it to the dealer 4 times but the noise stops when it goes there. They keep pressure testing the system but everything is good. So I dont know. This is probably something that will kill my car the day after my warranty ends.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:41 AM
I would check its history on carfax and make sure that its not one of the cars from new orleans or any where else that got hit by one of those hurricanes this year.

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 10:42 AM
Nevermind, i just saw that they told you it came from up north

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:18 PM
Don't do it at all, I was in the same situation, back in August when Chrysler had their Employee pricing deal. I had absolutely nothing wrong with my Durango, in fact to this day I still get people asking me why I got rid of it, but I wanted a Ram and I got $8,000 off of sticker. I absolutely love my Ram, and I do plan on keeping it for a long time, but if I had waited a little bit longer I wouldn't have been upside down on the Durango and I would have been able to buy a Cummins Ram instead of a Hemi Ram.

Just keep your car for a little while longer, if you still want another car, then get one, but upgrade don't stay with the same car. If you're going to get something new and put yourself even more in debt get something nicer then you currently own.

Yella02-I promise I will return to you in one piece and this will stay up until I am safely home

Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:19 AM
I just bought a brand new cavalier, but i was able to pay it in full, so in your case no i wouldn't get it because you owe so damn much on the old one

Thursday, November 24, 2005 9:32 AM
everyone needs to remember to be wary of flood damaged cars from new orleans. and would never trust a car saleman even if he was my uncle.
Thursday, November 24, 2005 10:24 AM
Quote:

everyone needs to remember to be wary of flood damaged cars from new orleans. and would never trust a car saleman even if he was my uncle.

GRRRRRRRR, you types of people really piss me off. You take an honest car salesperson and yes they do exist, and turn him into a lying cheating scamming person who really deep inside is honest.

As far as flood damaged cars and all that , you can thank the @!#$ media for that one. Aything for a @!#$ story to make a buck, and we are so gulible as a nation to beleive such crap, I can't beleive that people actually think that people would sell a flood damaged car. If you go to franchise dealership, chances are that they are NEVER gonna have one of these cars if they care anything about reputation. I live in wisconsin and I had lady ask me if the trailblazer that i was trying to sell her came form New olrelans, I wanted to slap her in the face and tell her to get her head out of her ass for being stupid. The amount of money that it would take to replace all the electrical in the car and get it back into prper running order would be more than the car is really worth. You are talking about replaceing most if not all the electrical wiring in that car. If you really are concerned about it being a "Flood Car" run a carfax from wherever you are purchasing the car from and on the last page of the car fax they have what is called a car fax BUY BACK GAURANTEE, so that if the title comes up clear on the car fax and then you find out that it really is a "Flood Car", they will refund you 100% that is right 100% of your money. That way if you did get @!#$ at the dealer, you can still get your money back and find a different car.

I'm sure that the car you are looking at is perfectly fine and that there is nothing wrong with it. If you like it then go for it. There are too many misconceptions of car dealerships. The small mini JOE'S used cars is the guy to stay away from, you get what you pay for. If you go to a dealer, if anything does happen to the car, you have a better chance of getting it fixed.

Sorry for the rant but christ people. Come on & give us a little bit of credit.

Thursday, November 24, 2005 10:29 AM
your car only has 28k miles and you're thinking of getting rid of it just because the new one has 500? I mean, I don't see the point. It's not like it has 98k or even 78k....Hell, my 96 cav had 195k on it when I sold it, and it was still in great shape. Your car will last you a long time if you take care of it. I just don't see the point in paying a few grand to have a car that's only a year newer with 27k less miles on it. The value is going to be almost identical, especially in like 5 years, you will benefit absolutely nothing.

Thursday, November 24, 2005 1:48 PM
MishkaFan wrote:your car only has 28k miles and you're thinking of getting rid of it just because the new one has 500? I mean, I don't see the point. It's not like it has 98k or even 78k....Hell, my 96 cav had 195k on it when I sold it, and it was still in great shape. Your car will last you a long time if you take care of it. I just don't see the point in paying a few grand to have a car that's only a year newer with 27k less miles on it. The value is going to be almost identical, especially in like 5 years, you will benefit absolutely nothing.

EXACTLY! and if you are still thinking of getting it, i suggest you have someone else take care of your finances.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, November 24, 2005 6:32 PM
Im going to look at it Saturday with my fiance, then make a answer.
I think financially is good. I paid $11,800 for my 04 inwhcih worked out to be $215 a month for a 5 year loan. So if I can get this car for about $10,500 after trade and taxes my payments should be under $200. The big plus to this is I get a warranty. Nothing is final yet, i'll see saturday. I also plan on having it carfaxed ( though I think nothing is wrong) just for some peace of mind.

The big possitive on this is that if I do get it I can still use my performance parts on it liek the Pacesetter header I ordered from TurboTecRacing.com

Maybe my fiance will trade me for her 05 cobalt LS..... probably not though

Thursday, November 24, 2005 10:00 PM
So let me see if I understand this...

You purchased a base model 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier for $11,800 to which you owe a little over $7,000 and have 28,000 miles. You are now considering getting a "new" 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier base model coupe that was in the auction with 500 miles and the balance of the factory warranty. Also, you are willing to go back in debt around the amount you originally paid for your '04 Cavalier, just so you can have one that's an automatic and have a longer term warranty than what you got now.

I just don't see the logic in that situation. I could possibly understand the situation if you were going from an '04 Cavalier base coupe to either an '04/'05 Cavalier LS or Cavalier LS Sport (because I have considered that trade off myself) but to go from one base model Cavalier to another wouldn't be fruitful in my opinion unless you have high miles (more than 50,000 in my opinion), have significant damage (mechanically) to your car and you and trying to do something to stop the bleeding of money out of your wallet into your car for repairs. I can understand wanting to get a car that has a full warranty left or even getting a car that's an automatic so your fiancee can drive but do you realize you can have the current warrant on your car extended and not make a lateral move in vehicles like this. Technically my warranty should expire this month, however with 58,000 plus miles on my car, my warranty expired a long time ago and I still get offers in the mail from GM to extend the warranty on my car...so if you have only 28,000 on your car, I don't see what the problem would be with you going back to the dealership where you purchased your '04 and getting that warranty extended. Having $800 or $27 per month extra tacked on your car payment is a lot better than potentially going back into the same amount of debt that you paid for your '05.

In my opinion if I was going to get a new car or a second car I move make sure it's a move up, even if it's lateral.

Friday, November 25, 2005 1:08 AM
OK, I'm not reading allllll that stuff b/c I'm ... well, I won't say

Anyway, come down here to Chicago. There are quite a few dealerships selling brand new 05 Cav's for like $9k-$10K. I rememeber that they are LS1 pkg or something (not LS1 engine obviously, lol), but don't recall what that includes. I'm on a crappy dialup with an even slower computer, so I can't go check for ya haha.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Friday, November 25, 2005 8:28 AM
I think it's a really bad idea all around, everyone else has already said most of what I would say. If you're worried to let the warranty run out in your Cav, it doesn't sound like you have a lot of faith in the Cavalier, yet you want to get another one? Base to base, not even an upgrade. You know the history of your car, but you are willing to take a car that was probably beat to crap on test drives. Even with a warranty, you would be inconvenienced while waiting for repairs or have things break after the warranty runs out.

As for your fiance not driving stick, I also don't drive stick & my fiance's car isn't auto. We only had our 2 Sunfires for quite a while & it wasn't difficult to plan which car to drive if we were going out. If there would be any chance of drinking, we'd plan ahead who would drink or take my car so either of us could drive home. It really was never a big deal for us.

I 100% agree that if you're going to put yourself back into a bigger, yet easy to manage debt, upgrade! I personally would never, ever buy the same car again, base model, just to have such a slight advantage. If you're worried about your warranty, save some money each month & save youself the $4000 more debt, but you'll have it "in case." You could end up having a car like mine or my fiance's which both have aprox. 90,000 miles & no problems!

Friday, November 25, 2005 10:42 AM
definately check the history...i found a cav this summer when i was looking for mine that i thought was a great deal, it turned out to be an x-rental car that i'm sure got the crap beat out of it. if the history is clean though, then its your call from there. I mean, 9k isnt a GREAT deal but its not bad. I paid around 8k for my 04 seven months ago with the sport package

Brian

Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:00 PM
So me and my fiance went down to see the car. and we (more like I) bought it. The cavalier was better than I thought. It was a 05 rally yellow Auto coupe. With the LS sport rims and spoiler. NO power windows, mirrors or locks.

As for price I think I got a great one. He gave me the car for $8,000. And gave me $6,200 for my trade. So with taxes and extended warranty (6 yr 60,000) The total was under my goal of $11,000 and make my payments 198.11 for 60 months. My old payment were 215.39

I know some might say it was not a good deal but I paid $11,800 for my manual base 04 coupe. Now I get a 05 auto coupe for almost a G less with twice the warranty.
Plus I got my pacesetter header in from fedex the other day so I can start putting performace parts on the 05.

Overall Im happy with the buy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search