Question about selling my car - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about selling my car
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:01 PM
Whats up? Ok I want to sell my 2000 cavalier, it has about 82,000 miles on it, it had the type j kit, 17" wheels, and the rk sport coil over, but heres my question I have koni shock and struts, but they are shot all to hell. The blue book value is like $3,800. I think I should ask for because of all the other stuff but should I just leave the next owner to worry about the koni's. I was thinking like $4,200.
Thanks for any help
Tommy

Re: Question about selling my car
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:05 PM
If youre selling it to an individual, you better try your best to find someone willing to pay that much. Most will overlook the stuff youve done even if they like it, just to get the best deal.

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:57 PM
Modified cars do two things to you....

First they limit your market. Not everyone that would buy a Cavalier is interested in a modified Cavalier. Scratch about 90% of the possible market. Of that limited number interested in a modified car, about half want to do it themsleves. Scratch half of those left standing. You get the picture.

Second...and I understand you have a good bit of money invested so far....but they make the car worth less than book value. You don't get your mod money back when you sell, especially on a car whose resale value nosedives like a J-body. The only real exceptions to this are when you have a COMPLETED show car or race car. A turn-key trophy winner, so to speak.

The primary thing a buyer is going to be interested in is getting the car tagged. In most states that involves some kind of safety inspection, which won't pass with blown struts. Big negative right there. Gotta take all that into consideration when you set a price. It's fine to ask high, but don't set your heart on that number or you're going to have that car for quite some time.

My personal analysis...5 year old car, above average mileage, blown struts, book value of $3800....my first offer would be in the $2500-2600 range and I wouldn't go any higher than $3K, and even only that high if some original parts were supplied.

There are fools out there that will overpay for a modded car, but don't bet the farm on finding one.

Alternate course of action...try to find bumpers in the right color, put a set of junkyard steelies and hubcaps on it, take out the coilovers in favor of junkyard springs and struts (can't be any worse than the blown Konis). Then sell the wheels and tires separately, sell the coilovers and sell the kit. Then sell the car as stock. You'll get MORE for the car that way, plus you'll get money back for the extra parts that you never would have seen before. It's more work, but way worth it in the long run monetarily.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:54 AM
Quote:

$3800....my first offer would be in the $2500-2600 range and I wouldn't go any higher than $3K, and even only that high if some original parts were supplied.

Couldn't have said it better myself. KBB doesn't follw the market that well either. If you read all the contex it says that KBB IS A GUIDE. You also can not rate your car as excelent condition. Exellent condition is if you bought the car off the showroom floor, drove it home and parked it in your garage untill now when you are trying to sell. it. Theraftermarket stuff doesn't help the value either, actually I think that it hurrts the value, because who knows what the heck the car has been through and who knows if you did a hack job on the car or not. People don;t know that. Better off putting it stock and selling the parts individually.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 8:22 AM
yeah people like my grandpa, when he sees a car with rims or aftermarket products on it, he automaticly thinks its been ran to hell by a teenager....it probably would be your best bet to but the stock stuff on and sell the other things individually (jimmyz knows what hes talking about) that way you will make some extra money maybe....

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:40 PM
Thanks guys for all that help. I guess you put all this money into these cars, never really thinking about what a "waste" it is, your basically throwing money away to look cool for a little while. And you become real attached to the car like it's your girlfriend (maybe more attached), and you take it personal, when people don't want to buy it for what you think it is worth. I guess they just have sentimental value....... and that aint going to pay the bills.
Tommy
Wednesday, November 23, 2005 12:47 PM
Brian Anderson {1999-Z24-4spd} wrote:yeah people like my grandpa,

I'd say that applies to MOST people. I know if I was looking to buy a car and saw mods on it, I'd generally assume it's been beat on. I know how I drive my own car and even though I take immaculate care of it, given the choice I'd probably rather buy a car from an accountant or something.

As a point of reference... check out how much an aftermarket bumper costs. Then check out how an OEM bumper costs from GM. Then ask yourself whether you've added value or taken value away by changing it.

You may think it looks better with the aftermarket bumper... but it's probably worth less.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 4:11 PM
Brian Anderson {1999-Z24-4spd} wrote:yeah people like my grandpa, when he sees a car with rims or aftermarket products on it, he automaticly thinks its been ran to hell by a teenager....it probably would be your best bet to but the stock stuff on and sell the other things individually (jimmyz knows what hes talking about) that way you will make some extra money maybe....

brians absolutely right......your car would sell better and quicker if you stripped it down and parted it. get your extra sale from the parts .....then sell the car anywhere from 3-4 grand. you come out on both ends.....good luck

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Thursday, November 24, 2005 4:50 PM
yeah doesnt matter what you put into it....almost never get it back. When i sold my sunfire i got VERY lucky and broke even, and i had a crap load of $$$ in it. I just got lucky and found someone who wanted almost exactly what i was selling, thus making it more valuable to them.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Thursday, November 24, 2005 5:13 PM
They're all right about the value going down with mods, and cutting down your market. BUT if u dont mind holding on to the car a lil while, try a month or 2 with your asking price with the mods and stuff, see who bites. then strip it and sell it and part the mods out. I had a 1997 neon coupe with 108k miles on it, about 12k worth of mods and paint, cracked exhaust manifold....Sold it mid summer of 03 for $4300 cash in hand. exactly my asking price. girl just got her licence, the car was pretty, and daddy is rich sometimes you do get lucky

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search