Winter Driving Tips - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Winter Driving Tips
Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:00 PM
Since Winter is Coming up and Snow has already been around...Does anyone have any good tips or suggestions when it comes to driving on Slick or Snow Covered roads? I used to love driving in the snow but last year after i was in a wreck involving snow & sliding I seem to have a hard time driving in it period just for the fact of being involved in another accident.

Re: Winter Driving Tips
Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:32 PM
well lets see...my J is the worst handling car i have EVER driven in the snow, i advise you just make sure you have good tires, getting pushed up a steep hill by a neon because you waited one day too long to take off your 18s with summer tread is very hubling and embarrasing!!!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Monday, November 28, 2005 1:44 AM
make sure to induce plenty of e brake manuvars at a slow rate of speed in every parking lot you can haha Jk dunlop makes some bitchin snow tires try the winter sp m2. rockin traction and oh yeah in the winter dont be in a rush and go slow!

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Monday, November 28, 2005 4:29 AM
Drive slower than normal.
Add more braking distance.
Mess around in a open parking lot to learn how to control your car in a skid.
Keep some extra windshield washer fluid in car.
If car has the tendency to have the back end slid out, add some weight in the trunk.
Make sure to completely clean all snow and ice of windows before you start driving.
Keep extra set of clothes or something in-case you brake down.
Might need small shovel if you live in area with a lot of snow.
If you do not have ABS brakes, tap brakes if they lock when you are trying to stop.
If you are on brakes and sliding and need to turn, let off brakes till you regain steering.
Did I mention drive slowly.
Get good tires, if old tires need replaced.
Winter wipers never hurt.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, November 28, 2005 6:32 AM
Tires are key. If you get a lot of snow... get proper winter tires. I've been running on all-seasons for the past few years and had some close calls, and wrote off my last car. Last year I was on BRAND NEW all-seasons so I had plenty of tread and still found I could barely make it up some trivial hills.

I got to try out my winter tires for the first time this past week in the snow and it's a world of difference.

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:41 AM
all i'm saying is new tires and a like a 50lb sand bag in the trunk or so. It served me well the past couple years.
Monday, November 28, 2005 7:48 AM
if you do start to skid on the road dont over correct that could be devastating.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, November 28, 2005 11:30 AM
1Bad02Cav wrote:well lets see...my J is the worst handling car i have EVER driven in the snow, i advise you just make sure you have good tires, getting pushed up a steep hill by a neon because you waited one day too long to take off your 18s with summer tread is very hubling and embarrasing!!!

LMAO!!! id buy that for a dollar

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, November 28, 2005 4:39 PM
Unless ur all seasons have the M+S without the Mountain with the snow flake aren't designed for snow covered roads thus the reason y they suck. I just bought Nokian RSI and took them up to a local mountain to visit my g/fs condo and I never slide unless I did it and the same corner I nearly went into the bank last year with my all season I wrapped around the corner like I was on rails it made that much of a difference. And if ur gonna buy them u better get 4 because the rubber on ur all seasons doesn't get nearly the grip at the same tempature as the winter tires are designed too. Braking is generally when ur gonna start to slide so avoid heavy braking at all costs shifting down is a safer bet because as long as the tire is rolling the treads are clearing the snow and contacting the road underneath. Wider tires are not better for snow because u have more area to clear less effective the tire can be. They make a world of difference because they are also designed to give atleast a little bit better traction on ice then all seasons but nothing is better then studded tires or chains for hard packed snow and ice. Slowing down is helpful too.
Monday, November 28, 2005 6:45 PM
i never let my torque build while in the snow i sit at like 1k rpms in 5th gear i never go over 30mph in snow

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Monday, November 28, 2005 9:24 PM
if your car has those stupid good for @!#$ EAGLE RS-A tires on it dump them.
the wal mart kiddy shovel is my pick for best thing in the trunk.... like $4
and i always carry a 15 kg bucket of kitty litter in the trunk. for weight and getting stuck.

the best peice of driving advise i ever got applys all year but even more now.
assume everyone on the road is a compleate idoit who cant drive, is on there phone and drinking a coffee all at the same time.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:51 PM
I do have the goodyear RSA's which they need replaced.......what are some good year-round tires?

Monday, November 28, 2005 10:56 PM
you shoulda been there timmy, Candice is doing donuts on her lawn in the neon while im sitting still in the driveway trying to get up the hill....then she effortlessly pushes me all the way to the top if only i got it on video it was a blast, moral to the story as many have said TIRES ARE KEY

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:10 AM
get some good winter tires. dont worry about the cost. i know its hard not to care. get some nokians, or green diamonds. something good. i dont know where your from but if you can get studded tires. and last of all. DRIVE SLOW. in bad snow put your fogs on, hazards if its real bad to make your vehicle more noticable.

be careful.
Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:19 AM
i replace my wheels with some studded tires and dont have a problem, got the studded tires @ discount tire, also i replace my windshield wiper assemblies with winter ones (they have the sleeve type thing on em) having to reach out the window to "pop" the wiper and risk cracking the windshield sucks, there totaly worth the 10 bucks. and ALWAYS carry a breakdown kit (flares,snacks,water,blanket,coat,extra cellphone batt.,shovel and some good snow boots)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:17 PM
the eagle RS-A tires blow the big one in anything but dry hot pavement. there one of the worst tires in the rain and snow.
bridgestone blizzaks are my choice

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 10:40 AM
if you start to slide, GET OFF THE PEDALS. just steer in the direction of the skid...you'll stop on your own eventually, and if you're on ice, you'd slide more if you were to try and accellerate out of it while still sliding.

get goodgood winter tires.

don't try to eliminate ice on the windshield with your wipers and washer fluid - this will do nothing more than rip your wiper blades to bits.

clean off your car. all of it. don't be "that guy" with blocks of snow and ice falling off the roof/trunk lid. clean off your taillights - it's easier for other drivers to see what you're about to do. give PLENTY of space between you and other cars...if someone honks at you, f'em. better safe than sorry.

if the weather conditions are so bad that you honestly don't feel comfortable driving, DON'T. there is nothing worse than a frightened driver in winter.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:42 AM
While driving, leave a lot of space between yourself and the vehicle in front of you so you have enough time to stop.

When stopped at a red light, leave one car length between you and the vehicle in front of you and monitor your rearview mirror until there is a car stopped behind you, so that if you see a vehicle behind you coming up on you really fast, you can move up a little so he doesn't hit you. A friend of mine got hit from behind like that, and the guy that hit him managed to weasel his way out of paying for the damage somehow by saying how he couldn't have been expected to know how the road was unusually slippery, and my friend had to pay his own repair bill (he was only insured for liability).
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:52 AM
The Poonman wrote:my friend had to pay his own repair bill (he was only insured for liability).

that's his own fault, there. if you have only one car, spend the extra to insure it further than just liability - it tends to be a lifesaver in an incident like that.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:57 PM
Own a beater!

And what everyone else says...be careful....

Only 2 snows....and someone already bumped into me...! (in a parking lot-no less!)

Lucky for me, it was only a "love tap"...that, and it was a bump from another cav...

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:10 PM
Good winter tires/getting to know your car's handling in an empty parking lot are EXCELLENT recommendations!

I also try to keep the gas tank full, that extra weight alone helps .

My main thing is to watch out for the other drivers! There's so many other people that don't take precautions, drive too fast for conditions, and just lack driving ability when anything wet hits the ground.

Thursday, December 01, 2005 5:23 AM
1. Get winter tires. I paid $45 a piece for mine, plus four 14" steelies, and studs, grand total was under $300, and they'll last me 5 years at this rate...

2.I'm suprised no one else has mentioned this, but your best tires belong on back, not the front like most people will have you believe. @!#$ty tires on front may get you stuck, @!#$ty tires on back will get you killed.

3. People will argue with me on this, but personally, I prefer to disable my ABS when there is snow on the ground; this can be done by simply removing the relay under the hood(In the large fuse panel next to your battery, it actually says 'abs' on it). I find ABS prevents stopping when there is snow on the road(and we get a lot of that here).

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Friday, December 02, 2005 3:40 PM
one tip i got when i slid on ice and ended up in sum guys side yard all most in his hedges was ( if ur going down a hill or begin to slide ) Shift into nutral it takes all the power out of the front wheels than u can just worrie about steering it clear of any obsticals and just like one of the ppl said b4 treat everyone on the road like their a compleat moron and allways watch in front of you ( not the car in front of ou ) way ahead ohh and also try to anticipate what the guy in front of you is going to do

Sunday, December 04, 2005 8:11 PM
is you do put snow tires on. get good new ones i dont like the idea of used snows who knows what the last guy was doing with them ..i.e. flat sopts, damaged belts from hitting curbs. its worth the cash for good snows. when you drive by a bunch of people in the ditch you'll be glad you spent the cash.

some people will agure that its ok to buy used tires. and it is i just perfer new ones thats all.

Sunday, December 04, 2005 9:30 PM
Hey craig steele I dunno bout u but I like the best tires on the front because I can control the rear of the car using the steering but if u can't steer or slow down because ur front tires don't have traction ur not stopping and ur gonna hit that telephone pole so I stick with good tires on the front and I already had this problem with the wire wheels I have for my other car bald ones on the back doesn't matter how much they slide around as long as I have traction on the front to counteract them I was fine. But that is just my 2 cents.

And we had a week of on and off snow here in Vancouver and having winter tires put on the week before has saved me a huge headache because not only did the guy driving the mustang sitting sideways on the hill wish he either A) wasn't driving it or B) had winter tires after I drove into the other lane and right up past him with bout 6 inches of slushed up snow from the the previous drivers going up and down but my car didn't slip, slide or even have a problem down any of the roads I have gone down. Unless I was yanking on the ebrake doing fish tales.

I agree new tires is always the way to go but hey if they aren't in ur budget right now get the used ones but cheap doesn't always mean decent and they should last a few seasons depending on how long ur winter lasts. I bought the top of the line tire because I expect my tires to do alot and so far these Nokian RSI have impressed me I even wish we would get a couple more feet to see just how much snow I can go through before I have to dig it out.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search