!!!!!! SCAM WARNING !!!!!!! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
!!!!!! SCAM WARNING !!!!!!!
Monday, November 14, 2005 8:38 AM
I just had this happen to me so I thought I'd pass it along as a warning for you all.
My wife was checking our bank account on-line this morning and she saw a charge of $29.00 made to Auto Trader.com thinking I did something she caled and asked me, I
hadn't. I contacted Auto Trader.com and was told that on Saturday my wife, rather someone pretending to be her, set up an account to sell a car. A 2004 Toyota Camery
for $8900.00. Problem is we've NEVER owned a Camery or any Toyota for that matter.
Auto Trader.com was very nice about the whole thing they pulled the add and reversed the charges, then they asked me about the 6 other cars I listed with them on Sunday.
I told them I never contacted them every to sell any cars. Turns out a total of 7 cars was listed as my wife being the seller, They have our home address & all her info. I contacted the states attornies office and let them know whats happened thats when I was told about a great new scam that now I'm a part of. Say you buy one of these non-existant cars from someone who you think is me, then you send them the money and wait............ and wait.......... and no car. Who are you going to contact? ME!! And I won't know what the hell your talking about but since you have all my wifes info I bet we'd winde up in court somewhere while the real theif is gone with your cash. BE CAREFULL out there cause it seems like these theives are everywhere. Luckily we caught on fast enough and we're getting this fixed but if we hadn't checked our bank account daily we could have been screwed big time.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Re: !!!!!! SCAM WARNING !!!!!!!
Monday, November 14, 2005 9:14 AM

that's screwed up.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat
Monday, November 14, 2005 9:34 AM
did/does anyone know how they charged your account ??

or how these people are getting ahold of the info to use it for their scams ??

thank you for the heads up

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:43 AM
That is so weird. My parents just recently got scammed for $6000 from auto trader!. they thought they were buying a tractor from someone. they sent a money order and the guy gave them a tracking # and a website for a fake shipping company to track the shippment. well it obviously never came. After they filed a report with auto trader, FBI,Local police, Western Union, Bank of America, Nextel(his phone company) and Aol (he had an AOL email) we found out that this guy relisted the tractor for the same price and address.

Sounds like Auto trader needs to step up their game and offer more security to it' customers.

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up on yet another scammer.

Peace Out!

Monday, November 14, 2005 10:03 AM
Don't know how they got everything that they did 100% but the states attorney said once they get a credit card # the rest is pretty easy. Then some poor person buys a car thats not real and they come after us!!

Monday, November 14, 2005 11:15 AM
sorry to hear that good thing you found out before something worse happened. thanks for the heads up ill be sure to spread the word
Monday, November 14, 2005 5:50 PM
CrAzY

good thing you caught it....... rather your Wife did.......

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, November 14, 2005 6:42 PM
someone ended up sending me a check from britain, wanting to buy a car i was selling, well the check nevcer cleared, but the guy was asking me to send him back some money, WHAT, you think i'm gonna give you money, BEFORE i find out your check clears, whatever.............

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Monday, November 14, 2005 7:16 PM
I had a crazy idea. Dave should put a new forum topic and call it "scammers" We can all post our experiences and/or the info of the scammer. Put the link in red so It stands out. We'll all be part of the amateur detective agency.

This is just a wacky idea I had. Cause I've been seeing alot of these lately.
Peace Out!

Monday, November 14, 2005 8:38 PM
Quote:

I had a crazy idea. Dave should put a new forum topic and call it "scammers"

Ya we should, but the mods just keep locking them or deleting them.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 5:15 AM
That is a great idea. Since the VS. forum is getting locked up why not start a forum to
clue people in on this kind of stuff? I mean I can see not endorseing street raceing but what would be wrong with helping stop these scams?

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:17 AM
idea for a "scammers" forum is an AWESOME idea, no more flooding the general forum with them, we can all just check the scammer forum, and there are enough of these posts to make this a valid forum i would think

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

i had lots of toys when i was young.slinky,etc.but once i found my penis,that was all she wrote
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:53 PM
thanks for the heads up!!!

I watch my info like a hawk !!

Had a guy put my phone number on his bad checks....
he got my number right out of the phone book.... what really sucked is his first and last name was the same as me..

after getting several calls from check clearing houses I finaly figured out the bank he banked at and got the problem resolved.

<>< <>< <>< <><
Bill Ellis
2002 Cavalier 2.2L OHV Sedan (AUG 2001)
2004 Vibe AWD Shadow (May 2004)
Tuesday, November 15, 2005 3:46 PM
not your fault or anything but since the people are paying for a car via check even though theve never SEEN the car i think its what they get

"Freedom 'ought to have its limits"-George W. Bush may 31 1999 (who voted for this idiot?)

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 10:55 PM
Phranny19 wrote:That is so weird. My parents just recently got scammed for $6000 from auto trader!. they thought they were buying a tractor from someone. they sent a money order and the guy gave them a tracking # and a website for a fake shipping company to track the shippment. well it obviously never came. After they filed a report with auto trader, FBI,Local police, Western Union, Bank of America, Nextel(his phone company) and Aol (he had an AOL email) we found out that this guy relisted the tractor for the same price and address.

Sounds like Auto trader needs to step up their game and offer more security to it' customers.

Dude... there IS no tractor.

You guys all need an education on internet fraud. These are the same old tricks used time and time again....

You wouldn't forward garbage emails to all of your friends now would you? (If you would... please leave me out of your mailing list, thanks!)

Make www.snopes.com your homepage and protect yourself

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:29 AM
Mike Strassner wrote:I had a crazy idea. Dave should put a new forum topic and call it "scammers" We can all post our experiences and/or the info of the scammer. Put the link in red so It stands out. We'll all be part of the amateur detective agency.

This is just a wacky idea I had. Cause I've been seeing alot of these lately.
Peace Out!

oooo, ooooo, i want in so i can have my own secret decoder ring

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:53 AM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:
Phranny19 wrote:That is so weird. My parents just recently got scammed for $6000 from auto trader!. they thought they were buying a tractor from someone. they sent a money order and the guy gave them a tracking # and a website for a fake shipping company to track the shippment. well it obviously never came. After they filed a report with auto trader, FBI,Local police, Western Union, Bank of America, Nextel(his phone company) and Aol (he had an AOL email) we found out that this guy relisted the tractor for the same price and address.

Dude... there IS no tractor.

You guys all need an education on internet fraud. These are the same old tricks used time and time again....

You wouldn't forward garbage emails to all of your friends now would you? (If you would... please leave me out of your mailing list, thanks!)

Make www.snopes.com your homepage and protect yourself

well thanks for stating the obvious! LOL! it was in the "Big trucks and Heavy equipment Trader" so there really are honest people that do have tractors for sale. My parents just happened to fall for a deal that shady.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:04 AM
Ok, I suppose there could be real tractors in there but I've heard the "tractor" scam lots of times. I guess I'm not tractor-saavy enough... never needed to buy one

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:44 PM
I hope you cancelled the card number and got a new one sent. I've had to do it 2-3 times now.

Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:07 AM
Been cancelled and we got our money back. States attornies office is now investagating since one of the last places my wife used the card on-line was to re-new her tags for her truck.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 6:12 PM
Thats why I get all my cars locally or I drive to see them first if I find them online.
Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:23 AM

They should be able to track the person that cashed the money order.

09 HHR LS, Wife's Car
05 Cavalier, Clarion DXZ375MP, Autotek MM8000.5 & 13Kv.2, wife's old car, updates coming soon
Thursday, December 01, 2005 8:15 PM
there is also an awesome paypal scam going around too. thye emial u saying u need to verify ur info and such u do that and then the people cna access ur acocunt bc u just told them all ur info..it happen to me but they didnt get anytihng bc i have 3 dollars left and they couldnt get it out.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search