Winter Driving Tips - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Winter Driving Tips
Monday, December 05, 2005 8:42 AM
STOLEN!!!! wrote:some people will agure that its ok to buy used tires. and it is i just perfer new ones thats all.

it's dumb to buy used tires.

don't like me? tell me what you think of me in chat

Thursday, December 08, 2005 9:16 AM
Quote:

Hey craig steele I dunno bout u but I like the best tires on the front because I can control the rear of the car using the steering but if u can't steer or slow down because ur front tires don't have traction ur not stopping and ur gonna hit that telephone pole so I stick with good tires on the front and I already had this problem with the wire wheels I have for my other car bald ones on the back doesn't matter how much they slide around as long as I have traction on the front to counteract them I was fine. But that is just my 2 cents.

yes, you can ster and stop better, but the problem arrises when you get on the highway and the rear end breaks loose; with slippery conditions, it's difficult at best to regain control. This applies to highway driving moreso than city, but I do a lot of highway driving.

Trust me, the last thing you want on an icy road is to be going 80 to 120 km/h and suddenly find yourself perpendicular to the ditch.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."
Thursday, December 08, 2005 9:27 AM
plain and simple just take you time drive slower, some tires would help and aslo have washer fluid full the good stuff such as the deicing stuff. I rented a car and they put water in the reservoir i was so pissed the water froze and i had to use boiling hot wate to melit it out The snow can accumulate on you window and in some instances make it hard to see some time just the wipers alone don't do the job. this was last year. Was driving to Indiania and got caught in a snow storm drove 20-30mph on the highway those who i saw doing about 50-60mph ended up off the road in a dtich when we drove more up the interstate. I couldn't stop to i had a baby in the car that had been driving for about 10 hours and taking 5 hours to drive 100 miles was no fun but we got there in one piece.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:10 AM
The best way to learn is use an empty parking lot.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 11:24 AM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:My main thing is to watch out for the other drivers!

Well I've almost been hit twice now by people not properly braking nor paying attention. I love winter.

Last year I ran a red light to avoid being rear-ended, it was great. I always keep an eye on my rearview mirror, next thing I looked and "@!#$, they're not stopping"......looked ahead, no cars, popped the clutch and off I went good times! They didn't slide into me at least.

Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:24 PM
^^^

Friday, December 09, 2005 4:16 PM
You average person should probably stick to putting the "good" tires on the front. Specially on a fwd car. Where the front wheels do so much. (braking, steering, acceleration) I don’t see the point to putting good tires on the back since the back tires are pretty much just drug everywhere and only do a very small percent of the braking.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Friday, December 09, 2005 4:53 PM
Labora wrote:You average person should probably stick to putting the "good" tires on the front. Specially on a fwd car. Where the front wheels do so much. (braking, steering, acceleration) I don’t see the point to putting good tires on the back since the back tires are pretty much just drug everywhere and only do a very small percent of the braking.

Hate to hurt your feelings, but just because they're not the drive tires doesn't mean they're useless and that it's not important to have good tread on them. They're just as important as the fronts the majority of the time.

Friday, December 09, 2005 6:12 PM
Joe Schulte (JoeDM) wrote:
Labora wrote:You average person should probably stick to putting the "good" tires on the front. Specially on a fwd car. Where the front wheels do so much. (braking, steering, acceleration) I don’t see the point to putting good tires on the back since the back tires are pretty much just drug everywhere and only do a very small percent of the braking.

Hate to hurt your feelings, but just because they're not the drive tires doesn't mean they're useless and that it's not important to have good tread on them. They're just as important as the fronts the majority of the time.

No I somewhat agree the back tires aren't totally useless, if you can have good tread all around that would be the best thing to do.

My post was aimed at the person saying to put the "good" tires on the back if given the choice between snow tires front or back.

craig steele wrote:
2.I'm suprised no one else has mentioned this, but your best tires belong on back, not the front like most people will have you believe. @!#$ty tires on front may get you stuck, @!#$ty tires on back will get you killed.

This just doesn't make sense. Simply because of how a FWD car works. The front does almost everything.

95 Cobra
Check out my site
Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:37 AM
From what I've seen, the majority of FWD wrecks are from the backend sliding around thus control being lost, you have the weight of the engine on the front, so that's a lot of extra help within itself..................

I find nothing wrong with what craig steele had said.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:03 AM
^^^ Exactly, loosing traction on the rear puts you completely out of control. And for all you people saying to put them on the front, you're the people I was talking about origionally, who argue that the front is more important.

A friend of mine argued that point too; then one winter his rear end broke loose and he ended up backwards in the ditch. He believed me after that.

I've put my car off the road several times; each and every time the rear end was the culprit. Whenever my front tires loose traction, I sinple let off the gas and I've always regained control.

Motor trend also had an article about this a year or two ago; they interviewed a rep from Michelin who said the same thing.

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."

Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:08 AM
"Them" in the first line refers to the good tires, of course.

I'll say again, that this isn't very important around town; but it is for highway driving.

Of course, no matter which end you put them on, four good tires will always be better than two.

Sunday, December 11, 2005 8:43 PM
Where i'm from, the driving instructor used to take us to a long parking lot, tell us to get up to 35 and pull our e-brake and tell us to regain control. It was very helpful in learning to control your car in the snow.
Monday, December 12, 2005 11:31 AM
I agree with all of you that said put the best tires on the rear, keeps the rear from sliding out as easy.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:15 AM
They did a special about this on the news. They tried putting snow tires on the front, and putting good tires on all 4s. They found that just having snow tires on the front only made the car handle really unpredictably, and made it difficult to controle. They found that it was beter to not have any snow tires at all, then to just have them on the front.

but that's a news report, so who knows. Snow tires all around is the best.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:57 AM
4 > 2. Best tires should go in the back. Four tires are your best bet. Think of it as an extream. Studded front tires are illegal, you have to have all 4 studded. You can have just the rears studded in rear wheel drive though.

Buying two more tires is cheap insurance.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:37 PM
Studded rears are legal on any vehicle here(Newfoundland), not just rwd; but yeah, you're right. 4 good tires is always best.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:10 PM
All yall that can have studs are lucky In Illinois only mail trucks/vans/whatever (the lil neighborhood ones) can have studded tires Chains are legal when there's snow on the roads, but I don't think I've ever seen a car with chains heh.

Dave Z wrote:Own a beater!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------\/ \/ \/ and 4x4 at that Needs better tires tho, these worn street tires suck hahah. Now I'm hatin' the anime sig, those \/ mean the truck only

Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:45 AM
Biggest advice. Anticipate and dont rely on your brakes. You should be ready to downshift and lightly brake to execute the normal stop. When you finally get to the empty parking lot, try to go really fast a turn sharp, using on the hand brake to slow down.
Thursday, December 22, 2005 9:33 PM
i just never let my torque build up. i'm shifting b4 2k rpms in every gear and doing 1k rpms in 5th gear thats aproxx 30mph and i wont go any faster. i just hate the winter.

MY 2003 SUNFIRE 15.6@86mph

"A N/A ecotec is not gonna give Honda's and Mitsu's that much of a run for their
money unless their blown or bottle fed.GM is still smokin crack!"
~1QWKZ24
www.streetracing.org, 08/2001
Friday, December 23, 2005 10:41 AM
im going to agree with the people saying best tires on the rear...

through high school i worked as a tech at a big tire chain...

we were always putting the best tires on the back...

reason being you can use throttle and steering to help guide the front even if its sliding...

on the rear the only thing you have keeping it straight is the side profile of the tread...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search