Disapointed in some JBO upgrades - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Disapointed in some JBO upgrades
Friday, March 10, 2006 11:40 AM
I can say thank God the Versus form is gone. it was becoming a racing version of the war forum.

All and all JBO has aged gracfully. I am also one of the people that firmly don't support the "edit" button. I feel you put your thoughts down and that's that...if you choose to put those thoughts down without thinking it through (albeit out of anger or just plain stupidity) then that's on you. My main gripe is though that for me and i'm sure others we view JBO either sometimes or half the time via a potable device (i.e. Treo, PDA, Sony PSP, or internet phone) the slick new menu bar to my left doesn't open up on any portable device i use...therefore i can't access the forums on my potable devices. anyone else have this problem?

I like it but it there needs to be a bypass of some sort.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Re: Disapointed in some JBO upgrades
Friday, March 10, 2006 12:41 PM
Right now it is set up so that if the user agent is "MSIE 5" the menu reverts back to the static version. I can add other user agents to that list, as long as I know what they are.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, March 10, 2006 1:22 PM
Maybe you could set it up the other way around? Use an inclusive comparison rather than an exclusive one. Rather than saying "if it IS an old browser (MSIE 5) then we'll send the old menu otherwise we send the new one" have it check "if it IS MSIE 6, Firefox or Mozilla then we send the new menu otherwise send the old one".

Put the agents on the list you KNOW are compatible, like IE6 and Firefox, so they get the new menu system, and any others will get the old one. That way everyone is happy.

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Friday, March 10, 2006 1:35 PM
I don't want to do that because basically all new browsers support the new AJAX libraries. If I was to do it like you say, every time a new browser comes out I would have to add it to the list. This way I can just assume that most people are using a current browser and if someone isn't I can add that browser's user agent to the list.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about

Friday, March 10, 2006 11:04 PM
Yeah the PITA about that is i'm not sure what browser my PSP and Palm are using. Lately i've been using the PSP more for internet. mostly to show people pictures of the new cars and stuff in other cars forum.

It's not life or death, it 's just sad that you made a cool new menu but it also alienated JBO's jewel...The Forums.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:12 AM
Quote:

I am also one of the people that firmly don't support the "edit" button. I feel you put your thoughts down and that's that...if you choose to put those thoughts down without thinking it through (albeit out of anger or just plain stupidity) then that's on you.

Its not about putting your thoughs down and having them stay its the fact that alot of times youll post something and forget something so then you have like 3 or 4 posts in a row from the same person all just adding something to the first post. Or maybe when you post the wrong link or a broken one..its much nicer to edit it for new people that come into the thread so they dont have to search through the thread for a good link.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:32 AM
Why would people even have to view the JBO on a portable such as a phone or laptop . . . Are people really that lazy that they can't go home or check the site from an actual computer these days . . .

*is out at the mall* OH CRAP! I made a topic in Off Topic and I must see if there is a reply!
*breaks out PSP* Yes, a wireless connection!
*checks JBO*
Damn you bastard Dave! Fix the website! I can't see replys!!!

lol, damn portables, lol
Saturday, March 11, 2006 12:44 PM
Ummm...yeah, not so much. how about rereading what i said instead of trying to be an ass

Jookycola wrote:Yeah the PITA about that is i'm not sure what browser my PSP and Palm are using. Lately i've been using the PSP more for internet. mostly to show people pictures of the new cars and stuff in "other cars" forum.
It's not life or death, it 's just sad that you made a cool new menu but it also alienated JBO's jewel...The Forums.

And it's not lazy my dear newbie JBO troll...you see some of us are not 20 year old kids living at home with their mommy and daddy working at a UPS store like you. I'm a big boy. I have a "real" job, and it requires me to travel alot. That said i spend alot of time at airports and such around hotspots.
So next time either post something worthwhile or don't. How did your idiot reply help further the topic along? what did it bring to the table in terms of support or solutions? Nothing.

and Roscoe, i agree with you on that point of an edit button but giving people an edit button in JBO gives morons like the idiot Exodus 259 that's currently trying to flame me the chance to change their story or position. The way it is set up now, forever he will look like a jackhole and i will continue to be a poster with a point.
You can't go back 2 months from now and read his "edited" post that says..."My mommy loves me" then you read my "unedited" post telling him he's a troll. He made a stupid comment, and i put him in check...no going back and changing that. (LOL, i guess his troll comment DID push the post topic along) And that's why the JBO forums are good the way they are.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 4:29 PM
i dotn like the edit button because i have seen to many forums that when u go back 2 years later and lok at post they dotn make sense because people edited them to change funny things that happended

Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:30 PM
I like the edit button

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Saturday, March 11, 2006 5:31 PM
where is it? lol

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:01 PM
Machzel08 wrote:i dotn like the edit button because i have seen to many forums that when u go back 2 years later and lok at post they dotn make sense because people edited them to change funny things that happended

That is why the edit button will only be available for a SHORT period of time, perhaps only as long as 10 minutes after the initial post. The whole point of an edit feature is to be able to quickly fix mistakes in the post.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:10 PM

Brilliant!

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:39 PM
Dave wrote:
Machzel08 wrote:i dotn like the edit button because i have seen to many forums that when u go back 2 years later and lok at post they dotn make sense because people edited them to change funny things that happended

That is why the edit button will only be available for a SHORT period of time, perhaps only as long as 10 minutes after the initial post. The whole point of an edit feature is to be able to quickly fix mistakes in the post.

owned by dave....and that sir is why u are the admin.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:48 PM
I don't see the edit button?!?

Not that I care... I use the preview button... isn't that what it's there for?

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:21 PM
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:I don't see the edit button?!?

hasn't been put in use yet.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:14 AM
Dave wrote:

ORLY

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:09 AM
cannon fodder wrote:
Lenko, John Lenko wrote:I don't see the edit button?!?

hasn't been put in use yet.

It gets used about as often as the spell check button, which is never. Sometimes it's like deciphering military code to figure out what was said.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 4:15 PM
Dave wrote:

SWEER!!!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:35 PM
Exodus 259 wrote:Why would people even have to view the JBO on a portable such as a phone or laptop . . . Are people really that lazy that they can't go home or check the site from an actual computer

I resent that, my main computer is a laptop. It's MUCH easier to carry my laptop to work and back, than it is to lug a full-size computer around. I don't have a true "portable" yet tho. 95Vet put his PSP up for sale at the wrong time for me, altho it was a hella awesome price! Eventually I'll get one so I can get work done more easily b/c I'll be able to remotely connect to my laptop using the PSP. Being a computer tech/IT, I sometimes need to do something on my computer, but a lot of the computers I work on are on the first level of the office, and I'm upstairs.

EDIT!!! EDIT!!! EDIT!!! IMO, the time limit should prolly be like 30 minutes, 10 doesn't seem like enough. I know that I never read my reply right away after posting - esp since JBO automatically kicks us out of the thread after posting. ALL of my other forums keep me in the thread after I reply.

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1105 MILES, $7500 OBO ^^^
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:43 PM

Thats what i always wondered , like you could change what you said freely ...

I like the ten minute idea ... best of both worlds ...

Monday, March 13, 2006 5:59 AM
10 minutes and a premium only feature edit should be. It is more of an incentive for the regular members to buy.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:16 AM
Jbody2nr wrote: a premium only feature edit should be. It is more of an incentive for the regular members to buy.

That's actually a great idea!!

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1105 MILES, $7500 OBO ^^^
Monday, March 13, 2006 8:30 AM
Jbody2nr wrote:10 minutes and a premium only feature edit should be. It is more of an incentive for the regular members to buy.

that's perfect...since it's usually newer or brand new non-premium members that are total trolls.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 6:56 AM
I recommend a site called www.skweezer.net for PDA people also there are links at the bottom of the page that you can use on your PDA. Try that and see if it works for ya!

~OPSE

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search