new here and thinking of buying a 02 sport - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new here and thinking of buying a 02 sport
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:22 PM
like the title says new on here and thinking of picking up a 02 sport for a daily since my 93 jimmy is beat and uses to much gas. so whats the good, the bad, and the ugly on these cars?thanx

Re: new here and thinking of buying a 02 sport
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:31 PM
Sport what? coupe? LS?

The good, if it has an Eco, that is good.

The bad - it will still always be a Cav

the Ugly - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to make it go fast.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:19 PM
its a ls coupe.well not sure if its a eco or not. what years did those start coming in? as far as making it fast is not important i already have a fast car i just need a daily thats kinda nice looking and good on gas. how long do the engines in cavs generaly last? are they any good past 100,000 miles?thanx
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:35 PM
if its an ls sport, chances are its an ecotec
just check under the hood. itll say ecotec if its an ecotec

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:36 PM
Probably an Ecotec, Could also be a 2200 (says 2200 on it). Both are 2.2L engines, but the Eco is 150 HP and the 2200 is 115 HP. Also the torque curve sucks on the 2200, little pickup.

The Ecotec engine is based on a very proven design and will last 200,000+ miles with a possible head gasket in there. I know that sounds expensive, but the Do It Yourselfer can do it for ~$200. So overall I would say it's a very good engine, but I can also do that head gasket in a weekend no problem. Overall very few problems. And if you're looking at getting a 02 I wouldn't even worry about it.

The 2200 is slighly less reliable in my experience. Has several things go wrong with the one I have, also has 170,000 miles on it. So it's to be expected to an extent.

I love my Sunfire, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best car I've ever bought.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search