ecotec history??? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec history???
Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:46 AM
I have been doing some searching on the net for the history of the ecotec engine. im trying to find its routes and mabye a build journal. really anything. I know so much about the engine just nothing about where it came from.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.

Re: ecotec history???
Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:09 PM
Well, the Ecotec motor was supposed to be released as the replacement for the 2.4L Twin Cam back in 2000 or 2001.... but that didn't happen in time, so GM just did some minor revisions to the 2.4L instead and prolonged it's death a few more years.

Just like the J-body was supposed to be replaced way back in 2000... but as you can see, that didn't happen. Do some Google searches for "Quad 4" and "Quad 4 history" and you'll find out it was planned a lot earlier than it actually was released.

It's called a "global motor" as GM is using it in many divisions around the world... kinda like the old 1.8L, 2.0L back in the 80's... and the first gen J-body as well, which was the first "global chassis" used all over the place. If you could get your hands on the parts from an Isuzu Aska, I bet you they'd fit a 1st gen Cavalier, Sunbird, Cimarron, SkyHawk or Firenza

...j

Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:18 PM
Saturn brought the ecotec engines the US/Canada first I believe, I think it was in the L series, but I'm not sure..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Sunday, May 07, 2006 7:41 PM
I believe wikipedia has some good info on it... nothing like what Lenko was saying tho.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 8:29 PM
what im looking for is more on the technical side. I really want to learn more about what they were going for, and what makes it so amazing.

Sunday, May 07, 2006 9:31 PM
I have no idea about that^^

But I do remember seeing a huge display at an auto show somewhere advertising the new amazing ecotec motor in a saturn/

Sunday, May 07, 2006 10:19 PM
There is a lot of great info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine
Follow the links too, there is a lot more info on wikipedia then you might think.

As for "what makes it so amazing", I really think in some respects that was more of an afterthought. The engineers set out to produce a smooth civilized powertrain. It just so happened that in the process they ended up with a light all aluminum block that was the most bulletproof since the 2JZ. Perhaps there was someone on the team that had other ideas in mind, but I doubt we will ever really know the answer to that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:41 AM
In a nutshell...

The (US) Ecotec started life in the Saturn LS in 1999. Its main purpose was to have one platform for the I-4 instead of 4 (Saturn's 1.9L, 2200, TC, Opel's Ecotec). By doing this, it was more cost efficient for GM and now they can now concentrate on one platform.
In the press release of the Ecotec of way back when, said that the Ecotec was designed Ruzzelheim (sp), Germany, as if to suggest it is a German design. But in reality, looks like GM powertrain engineers from the US got together and designed it there. Looking at the ingredients of our Ecotecs you will see there is almost zero to do with Opel's version. Ecotec as we know it is mostly a TC, Saturn 1.9L, 2200 molded all together, with a European label for marketing purpose. Now the boosted form of Ecotec (LNF & LSJ), it is clear that Saab had all the hands with it.
With it, the idea was to make it as smooth, fuel efficient as the Asian counterparts with low NVH standards and with future potential-- direct injection, S/C, turbo, hybrid, flex-fuel. Then came the marketing/ propaganda and spend large amounts to promote the engine in terms of drag racing, setting land speed records and engines for kit cars.
Now, these engine have not been all that trouble free, there have been faults through its 7 year run, but it is taboo on here so I'll leave at that.
One thing is for sure, GM is saving money with this (1)platform and that is what GM needs now.

(Note and words of advice: Wikipedia it not always the best source when it comes to information as any Joe Schmo could write/input for them)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:12 PM
Mr Goodwrench said something that interested me....Now what kind of problems are we talking about here.

In interested to kn ow what happens or what people can expect from these engines

Im only aware of some things with Cobalt trannys and half shaft failures, but as far as ECOTEC goes not much really.

Someone told me a while back that they hydro lock or something, and the cam-chains wear quicker than most, but more info on it would me nice.

I want the God the Bad, and The Ugly on the ECOTEC platform.

Silver Stripey makes your Day!
Monday, May 08, 2006 10:34 PM
I know about the timing chain failures in the 02 and 03 years.... mostly Saturn tho, I thought.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:20 AM
Silver, you just added to the ones I know. There maybe more issues, as to what I know is not up to date.

-Engine fire recall for the Saturn
-Engine fire recall for the LSJ (Redline)
-Timing chain failure (seen one in a rental 03 Cav at my previous work place)
-Computer problems
-Cylinder liners eaten up. GM has sent out a TSB (found here)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:50 AM
^^^Thanks for the info Mr. Goodwrench - well see if anyone else has anything more to add on the subject.

Listening.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:44 AM
It's still a better motor than the LD9... no waterpump issues or stories about putting the #3 conrod through the block

I bet this info will be alot more available in 10-20 years, when you can go to Amazon and buy a book of the Ecotec.

But I have a q... the Europeans have a lot of cool parts... can you get the US version of the Eco over there yet, or still the Opel... it'd be nice to see some of that stuff for US motors

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:47 AM
Q - Where can I go those "Weber Style" individual TB intakes for that look on my engine?

The one where you have like 4 velocity stacks under the hood? Or if its even possible to do that.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:51 PM
Owen Stampflee wrote:It's still a better motor than the LD9... no waterpump issues or stories about putting the #3 conrod through the block

But I have a q... the Europeans have a lot of cool parts... can you get the US version of the Eco over there yet, or still the Opel... it'd be nice to see some of that stuff for US motors

That's YOUR opinion and your entitled to it. On it being better, personally after knowing Ecotec's problems, I can hardly say it is better or worse then the LD9. As for the 3rd rod, blame that on the lack of lubrication, drive any engine with 1-2 qrts less for a prolong time and tell me how the engine will hold up. Some people do not check the oil level periodically and they think if I put exactly 4 qrts today....3-6K miles later the same amount will be there. So now you run into the chance of low oil. With low oil --low lubriction--friction will form and something gotta give.
As for the water pump, the main issue with that is, that it is time consuming to fix. And like any water cooled car, it will eventually fail. Preventive maintenance can prevent premature failures on any water pump. And if you don't want water pump failures, try a Citroen 2CV, pre- 1998 Porche 911, or VW Beatle classic.

Yes, you can get the US Ecotec over in Europe, you'll find it on the Vauxhall, some Saabs, Vectra, Speedster, Astra, etc. If you can get some sort of a connection with Europe or somebody from there, you'll find some neat stuff.

SiLvEr StRiPeY 04 wrote:Q - Where can I go those "Weber Style" individual TB intakes for that look on my engine?

The one where you have like 4 velocity stacks under the hood? Or if its even possible to do that.

I know exactly what you're talking about, the bad thing I do not know where to get them. I know it is from Europe, that is all.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:02 PM
z22se.......thats the ecotec in europe

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Friday, May 12, 2006 5:31 AM
ok- now that we have a number, is it possible, or not?

Friday, May 12, 2006 9:51 AM
just search around.....i found alot of stuff but its way overpriced.....liek 2000 for a n/a intake manifold

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Friday, May 12, 2006 11:17 AM
Thanks Snowman.....muchas gracious

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:06 PM
i head theres a V6 ECOTEC engine over in astraula or some place like that. is it similar to our 4 cyl ECOTEC or is it a re badged 3.8l motor?

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:10 AM
SUPERFASSSSTZ, T.Ocav soon wrote:i head theres a V6 ECOTEC engine over in astraula or some place like that. is it similar to our 4 cyl ECOTEC or is it a re badged 3.8l motor?

yeah I asked that and got laughed at.

its just a repacked 3.8 ( I think) it shares no desgin with the 4

Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:20 AM
^He is correct.
The V6 is either 3800 OHV or 3.0L from the Caddy Catera/Saturn LS or the 3.2L is from the Caddy CTS.
So "Ecotec V6" has zero in common with the I-4 Ecotec found here.

Remember the name; "Ecotec" is mostly used for marketing purpose.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, May 13, 2006 11:08 AM
The 2.2 eco will be in the new Camaro.. Seriously. lol.

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - My winter beater
Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:05 AM
well you guys can say what you want, but when the GXP drops.....mmmmmm

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:45 PM
lots of good info in here...

good looks on the thread..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search