1995 Sunfire GT - General Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
1995 Sunfire GT
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:02 PM
Saw this ad in the paper for a 95 Sunfire GT for $1500. Talked to the guy and went to check it out. It's a 5 spd and seems like it has almost no options, although there is an aftermarket stereo that's got some bugs in it. AC doesn't work, front brakes are pretty much shot, looks like it's seeping a little oil around the top of the engine, but I guess that's the cam cover since it's a OHC motor (?), has near new front tires and the clutch shudders a little bit. It has 148k miles on it too. Seems pretty clean excpet for a 3-4 inch tear in the driver's side seat. I'm just needing this for a daily driver since I also have a Z28 that I wanna build up some. When I talked to him the guy said he was trying to get rid of it and would let it go for $1000. So I thought about it and just called him to offer him $700, just to see what he would say and he told me he'd call me back later after talking to his finacee. I'm hoping she'll tell him to just get rid of it, but we'll see. What do y'all think? How hard is it to replace the AC and fix the cam cover gasket? Anything else I need to be careful of? Can anyone run a carfax for me? Thanks.

Re: 1995 Sunfire GT
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:10 PM
LOL, guess I waited too late to post this, he just called me back and said he'd give it to me for the $700. (thanks fiancee!). What else should I check specific to this car and engine?
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:47 PM
AC is gonna be expensive to replace unless you find a working unit in a junkyard. When mine went out they said it was gonna be 800 bucks to replace it bran new. Found one in a junkyard and had them put that in instead.

Other than that, it should be good to go for just a daily driver.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:54 PM
If its a GT, then you have the 2.3 engine, not the 2.2 OHV. If it says OHV on the engine, then its not a GT.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:59 PM
Sounds like a pretty good price as long as it's mechanically sound. Personally I would scrap the AC or leave it broken since it's just a beater.

Rob

Sold 2/2/05
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:14 PM
Says Quad 4 16V on the engine. Ran ok I guess, but even for $800 to fix the AC, rest I can do myself and that's still a good deal.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:24 PM
Thats the 2.3 DOHC engine

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:44 PM
sweet deal man, if its a decent running engine you'll get some good power outta it, thaose quad fours can be a thing of beauty if handled correctly... but since its gonna be a beater, i wouldnt worry about the oil unless it comes to the point where you are putting more than 2 new quarts in the car every month or so. you just dont wanna lose so much that you fry all the internals... just watch the level, and add when needed.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:01 PM
Well I wanna check everything under there anyways since it only takes about 10 minutes to change the gasket. Any problems with the head gaskets goin out a lot?
Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:17 PM
damn cheap, id buy it for a project

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:14 PM
Your AC might be ok, sometimes they leak out just a slight bit enough to make it not work (or it might be a sensor or switch) but you might as well just go to autozone or walmart and buy the charge kit to see if it'll turn on.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:30 AM
Jacob B wrote:Your AC might be ok, sometimes they leak out just a slight bit enough to make it not work (or it might be a sensor or switch) but you might as well just go to autozone or walmart and buy the charge kit to see if it'll turn on.

Yeah, I'll try that first and see if it leaks out or just doesn't come on.
Monday, May 29, 2006 3:44 PM
wow..a nice find if you ask me..its a 95 so it actually will take a chip..and a stronger HO or w41 quad will drop right in...but your using it as a daily driver ....what a shame

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search