theft system..? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
theft system..?
Thursday, January 18, 2007 11:43 PM
so my dash has a theft system light. does that mean i have keyless entry? i bought the car used and dealer doesn't know. need help!!

Re: theft system..?
Thursday, January 18, 2007 11:50 PM
Maybe, maybe not...

3rd gen J-bodies are equipped with a system known as Passlock

What that is this:
Quote:

Passlock does not rely on special keys with embedded resistor pellets for its operation. But like those earlier systems (Passkey), Passlock is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the proper ignition key is not used to start the vehicle.

In normal operation, the key turns the ignition lock cylinder. The Passlock sensor monitors the position of the lock cylinder and relays an analog Passlock signal to the body control module (BCM). The BCM determines the validity of the Passlock signal, then sends a password to the powertrain control module (PCM). When the PCM receives the correct password, it allows the fuel injectors to operate and the vehicle starts normally.

This system is tied to the "Theft System" light. Typically, when this light is on outside of the bulb test phase, the theft system (ie Passlock) has engaged and a relearn procedure, which can take approx. 45 minutes, is needed.

Further information on the Passlock system can be viewed in the maintenance forum:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/search.php?f=11&search=theft&globalsearch=0&match=1&date=0&threadtype=1&fldsubject=1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 18, 2007 11:57 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search