new icons? - Page 4 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: new icons?
Friday, March 21, 2008 7:10 AM
Maybe this'll grow on me... but we're still mixing 2 styles of new and old... I didn't know that a re-style of the site was happening (I rather thought that just the buttons were being dicked with and that's it). I'll wait till everything is complete, and then rip you a new one for f*cking with the site's look, Dave.

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:26 AM
The pages are taking me twice as long to load here at work. Im useing IE6

Im not caring too much for the knew look, but you just need something to seperate the posts more clearly. The white and tan make every post look like it runs into the next one.

Friday, March 21, 2008 8:15 AM
i like how all icons are with the names but i think there needs to be a more distinct division of posts. also quote and reply only show up on the last page of a post

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Friday, March 21, 2008 8:16 AM
maybe it's been changed since you guys have been bitching about how it looks, but i think it looks great...i was wondering when changes would be made to the site. solid tan-bar-solid white....ends of posts are pretty distinguishable to me. why do you people hate change??

Fallen I Am, Cursed And Destined To Burn -Dimmu Borgir
Friday, March 21, 2008 9:17 AM

Friday, March 21, 2008 10:42 AM
For all of you that are complaining about no division, and if you still see the forums in a Courier font, you need to force refresh (hold down shift, click refresh) and make sure your browser isn't caching the old stylesheet. You may not be seeing the forums exactly as the update intended yet.

If you still don't like it... I'll see what I can come up with to create a bit more division. I did not like the huge blue bar, and have been wanting to get rid of it for years. I'll see if I can come up with something a bit more obvious though. I won't be going back to that ugly blue bar though.

And since nobody seems to have noticed... if you click on the blue page icon next to new posts, it will link you to the next post in the thread that you haven't read yet. I thought some of you might enjoy that. Maybe I should make it more obvious that you can do that.

Tinkles wrote:The pages are taking me twice as long to load here at work. Im useing IE6.

The pages are now a bit simplified, so they should render quicker, and they are a bit smaller so they should download a fraction of a second faster. This time I tested with IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari and Opera, and all worked great in my testing. However, once again, IE6 sucks. It doesn't render PNG images correctly, so you are stuck with an additional script that fixes the bug, and adds a bit of render time. If you don't have a reason to run IE6 (required for work, approved by the military, etc), you should seriously consider upgrading to a newer and more secure browser (IE7, Firefox or Opera). IE6 is perhaps the most insecure web browser ever made. I wouldn't even use it to check my spam folder, much less anything more important like online banking.

Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:also quote and reply only show up on the last page of a post

The reply buttons was a little bug, its been squashed.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:02 AM
dear lord if it aint broke dont fix it.

this new style is horrid. i loved this site because it was the easiest forum ive ever seen to distinguish and read, now it's just club cav.

Friday, March 21, 2008 11:09 AM
Dave wrote:For all of you that are complaining about no division, and if you still see the forums in a Courier font, you need to force refresh (hold down shift, click refresh) and make sure your browser isn't caching the old stylesheet. You may not be seeing the forums exactly as the update intended yet.

If you still don't like it... I'll see what I can come up with to create a bit more division. I did not like the huge blue bar, and have been wanting to get rid of it for years. I'll see if I can come up with something a bit more obvious though. I won't be going back to that ugly blue bar though.

And since nobody seems to have noticed... if you click on the blue page icon next to new posts, it will link you to the next post in the thread that you haven't read yet. I thought some of you might enjoy that. Maybe I should make it more obvious that you can do that.

Tinkles wrote:The pages are taking me twice as long to load here at work. Im useing IE6.

The pages are now a bit simplified, so they should render quicker, and they are a bit smaller so they should download a fraction of a second faster. This time I tested with IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari and Opera, and all worked great in my testing. However, once again, IE6 sucks. It doesn't render PNG images correctly, so you are stuck with an additional script that fixes the bug, and adds a bit of render time. If you don't have a reason to run IE6 (required for work, approved by the military, etc), you should seriously consider upgrading to a newer and more secure browser (IE7, Firefox or Opera). IE6 is perhaps the most insecure web browser ever made. I wouldn't even use it to check my spam folder, much less anything more important like online banking.

Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote:also quote and reply only show up on the last page of a post

The reply buttons was a little bug, its been squashed.

i noticed that "last post" icon a few days ago.....definately like that feature!! A+

even a thin black line or something to seperate the posts would work IMO. just something that divides it......im getting a little more used to it as the day goes on, but still they all seem to run together

DurtyDawg says eat yo vejtibals
Friday, March 21, 2008 11:58 AM
Dave wrote:And since nobody seems to have noticed... if you click on the blue page icon next to new posts, it will link you to the next post in the thread that you haven't read yet. I thought some of you might enjoy that. Maybe I should make it more obvious that you can do that..

i dont understand that feature. if i havent read a thread at all where will the blue button take me? otherwise it will take me to the last post i read yes? if so i liek that feature.

EDIT: i tried it out. LOVE IT. awesome feature.

o and thanks for fixing quote and reply. as for the hard division. i can clearly see it but when you are scrolling through a post real quick it tends to blur together and makes it hard to distinguish, same with photo posts where they are relatively the same size as sigs. some sort of hard line, not tan or white, oughta do it.

keep up the good work dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 21, 2008 12:14 PM

JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Friday, March 21, 2008 12:25 PM
Every link I click on now, my CPU usage jumps up to 100% and takes a good 2-3 seconds before loading the page. Definitely a script causing something to be a lot slower... Also, when you use the scroll wheel on the mouse to scroll down, its VERY LAGGY and again cpu usage goes to 100%. Unfortunatly, its made it almost un-browse-able now.

The scroll lag does not happen on say, google-news, or other sites. Test it yourself.

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:33 PM
Dave wrote:If you don't have a reason to run IE6 (required for work, approved by the military, etc), you should seriously consider upgrading to a newer and more secure browser (IE7, Firefox or Opera).

Yes, thank you Dave!

It's working much better now for me!

Friday, March 21, 2008 12:45 PM
wow jbo just went downhill if i must say so myself. this is my first time opening it up since the page separation change and now im about ready to sell my car. i praised this site for how it was, i cant stand other forums especially vbulletin style ones but this one is about to take the cake for bein dead last

i need a new hobby now

Friday, March 21, 2008 1:04 PM
i don't like...

but i'll try to adjust to change. its inevitable anyways, right?

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, March 21, 2008 1:22 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:Yeah, its very hard to read now... I liked the simplicity before... I mean at least change the white colour to something that will help distinguish the end of a post.

the new changes arent that bad...i kinda like em. but i'll agree on this point. a greater distinguishing color or line would make for reading posts much easier.

i also agree that this site trumped all other forums with ease and simplicity of reading. it was one of my favorite parts about it. the new style doesnt seem too be much of a step down from the old. just a better distinguishing characteristic between posts would be nice.

Friday, March 21, 2008 2:48 PM
ok the forced refresh helped me out a ton
now i can see where posts are divided

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:16 PM
strapped wrote:Every link I click on now, my CPU usage jumps up to 100% and takes a good 2-3 seconds before loading the page. Definitely a script causing something to be a lot slower... Also, when you use the scroll wheel on the mouse to scroll down, its VERY LAGGY and again cpu usage goes to 100%. Unfortunatly, its made it almost un-browse-able now.

What web browser and operating system? I'll do my best to test it out.

(tabs) wrote:i also agree that this site trumped all other forums with ease and simplicity of reading. it was one of my favorite parts about it. the new style doesnt seem too be much of a step down from the old. just a better distinguishing characteristic between posts would be nice.

My goal with this last change was actually to simplify even more. Moving all icons and such to the top of the post and getting rid of unnecessary blocks of color is supposed to give it more of a streamlined look. I am experimenting with a few things to separate the posts a bit better, but regardless I think it looks a bit simpler then it did before.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:21 PM
IE6 is on my comp at work and cant to anything about it, but to home i use firefox. It works alot better here at home. I believe it is all the images that are laggin up my work comp. But its not the faster comp in the world.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:27 PM
Dave wrote:My goal with this last change was actually to simplify even more. Moving all icons and such to the top of the post and getting rid of unnecessary blocks of color is supposed to give it more of a streamlined look. I am experimenting with a few things to separate the posts a bit better, but regardless I think it looks a bit simpler then it did before.

for me its not really even the colors, but just the fact that the white seems to fade into the tan. that gradient just seems to @!#$ with my eyes. even if there were a thin blue or black line between the two i think it would help tons. beyond that it looks pretty good. at first my post and preview buttons were in the middle and i didnt like that, but now theyre on the right side like normal

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:27 PM
one thing i think would help is at the bottom of the page... the box that holds the spell check, post, and preview buttons, i think it should be a dark background...

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:31 PM
DaveWhat web browser and operating system? I'll do my best to test it out.[/quote wrote:

I'm using 'MyiE', which is an older version of Maxthon. On A fully updated WinXp.

I had this problem after an upgrade on another forum, and mentianed it and it was fixed. I cant remember right off which forum that was (not that it matters, just tryin to help narrow down the issues.)

This problem started, sometime between 3am last night and 11am this morning. (-7GMT) Maybe the things you changed during this time will help you narrow it down.

Overall I like the look, needs something more to seperate the posts, and I think it should do fine.

Thanks for providing such a nice place.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:35 PM
z yaaaa wrote:one thing i think would help is at the bottom of the page... the box that holds the spell check, post, and preview buttons, i think it should be a dark background...

those i can see jsut fine now that they are in their usual spots

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:05 PM
My problem isn't with the change itself, it's just the fact that I didn't find it at all necessary.

Some new options rock, but the lag and blending of posts has already became annoying to me.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:24 PM
i miss the blue boxes

Check out my build thread!

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:19 PM
RuggedZ wrote:i miss the blue boxes

Being a web guy myself I understand the desire to make things simplistic. Maybe adding a frame around the posts and about .25em of spacing would make it a bit more separated. The small lines right now just make everything blend together and at least to me less defined and more stressful on the eyes, I find myself wondering outside of the post I'm reading. Just glad you can take criticism.

-Chris

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:48 PM
RuggedZ wrote:i miss the blue boxes

x2, but I'm adjusting. With all these changes theres only one thing left that needs to be done.... a bigger search button.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search