EGR mystery - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EGR mystery
Saturday, May 03, 2008 5:56 PM
Here's my mystery...I'll keep it as short as possible

My 01 Z24 (LD9) has run without issue for many years (purchased used in 04). CEL shows up last month throwing P0420 (cat efficiency error). Had to go for e-test anyhow and failed for NO replaced O2 sensor (and did some routine maintenance) to get conditional pass. Had my full exhaust done today (installing new cat, header, muffler) and the tech shows me hole in front of my block which looks like EGR port (when the car is on air is being thumped out of there pretty good).

I don't want to look like a tool but here are my questions:

1) I was under the impression that there was no EGR on the 01 LD9 engine... am I wrong?!
2) Any ideas about what I should do with the hole (joking aside...)?!
3) anyone have a picture of their 01-02 LD9 where the EGR should be?

Thanks...

Re: EGR mystery
Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:09 PM
The guy who did your exhaust ussed the wrong gasket. He used the one from 96-99 which has a hole in it to allow the gasses to go through the hole in the head to the EGR. The 00-02 2.4 gasket does not have a hole cut in it to allow air through. This is how it is blocked off from the factory. All that needs to be done is the right exhaust manifold gasket used that gasket being the one for a 2000-2002 2.4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:10 PM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:14 PM
Thanks Wade...

I figured I was going insane! I couldn't remember if it was on 01 that the EGR was being phased out or if it was on 00. You think I could just block the EGR port in stead of having the header pulled off again?
Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:25 PM
You could but I would have them fix there mistake.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Saturday, May 03, 2008 6:25 PM
dutchiez24 wrote:Thanks Wade...

I figured I was going insane! I couldn't remember if it was on 01 that the EGR was being phased out or if it was on 00. You think I could just block the EGR port in stead of having the header pulled off again?

As a side note it's not just laziness (although I am pretty lazy) I got the header pretty cheap from ebay and supplied all the parts (inclusive of the gasket for the exhaust manifold). If I could just block off the port at the other end of things it would make things REALLY easy.

Thoughts anyone?
Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:36 PM
GM makes a EGR block off plate. pretty cheap. i dont have the part #.

search around for it and you will find it.

easyest fix if you dont want to take off the exhaust manifold. but the proper manifold gasket is the way to go.

Monday, May 05, 2008 3:28 AM
Hey Jake and Wade...

I ended up just making a plate up with some old 1/16" steel plate I had hanging around my basement (looks pretty damn good if I do say so myself). A little bit of liquid gasket and some M6 bolts and I was laughing. Thanks for your help guys.
Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:17 PM
sounds like you guys are up on egrs. i'm rebuilding a99 LD9 and sure there was no egr hookup on exhaust side but i dont remember anything going on the intake side... am i having a senior moment or what?????
Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:51 PM
huh skip? i dont exactly understand what you are asking...

ur 99 (if in a j-body) should not have an EGR whatsoever.

now, ALL year LD9 head's from 96-02 ALL have the EGR passage.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!
Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:39 PM
yes right but should there be something covering the intake side????
Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:42 PM
covering the "intake"? what do you mean by the "intake"?

the intake manifold? if it's off an engine with no egr stock it hasnt got the hole in it. if you have the hole you gotta make a plate to block it off.

Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:56 PM
the last time we put this together i dont remember anything covering the intake side of the head. the header covers the hole on the exhaust side.
Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:08 PM
ohhhh ok. nope ur right, nothing does cover the hole in the later model LD9's. its just an open hole.

you can buy an EGR block off plate from gm if you like...

Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:41 PM
The LD9 only had EGR through 1998. In '99 there were a number of changes to the engine, one of which the EGR system was removed. The casting of the head was not changed, however. The hole that extended from the exhaust side to the intake side remained through the end of production. There was no EGR valve on the front, and the exhaust manifold and gasket completely covered up the hole. There really was no reason to change the casing of the head.

Because of all this you have to be very careful when you install a header or just plain change the exhaust gasket. Any manifold, header and gasket MUST be correct for your model year. You do not want to be sending exhaust gasses through that hole if you don't have an EGR valve on the other end (99-02). And likewise, you don't want to be blocking off that hole if you have an EGR valve (96-99).

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:45 AM
ok thanks guys for your input . yes guess what im trying to say is i dont remember if anything covered that hole or not..
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search