Ecotec problems? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec problems?
Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:46 AM
Hey there, i am looking at possibally buying a 03 cavy with the ecotec, any thing i should look out for when buying a car with the ecotec engine; any known problems to watch for?
The car i am interested in has 95,000 km, and its the orginal engine, but has a salvage title, the front end was professionally rebuilt, fender, hood, rad,rad support, windshield and air bags.
I never owned the 2.2 ecotec, i have the 2200 in my 98 fire and have had no probelms with it,m love the engine, but would love an ecotec as i woulod have more power and the car has a 5 speed as right now my fire has an auto; so it would be night and day for me iam aure,lol.
Any suggestions on what to look out for or check on when purshasing an 03 cavy with the ecotec please let me know.
Thanks very much

98 j-body sedan

Re: Ecotec problems?
Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:02 PM
I have 68K miles on my 03' eco cavy and i have no major problems.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:28 PM
I will hit 75k on my 05' on tuesday and I have had no problems at all

Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:39 PM
i got 69696 on my 04, YES THAT ACTUAL, and NO problems at all...

Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:24 PM
The biggest problem is that they are ridiculously easy to add power to reliably.

Oh wait....that's not a problem. Nevermind.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 15, 2008 5:44 PM
I have 45,000 on my 05 Ecotec, before my warranty ran out I had a lot of problems... I am the original owner

BCM failed
PCM failed
Cluster broke
Headlight wiring melted
front 02 sensor went out
Dash cracked
Catalytic converter failed
Blend door actuator broke
All 4 strut mounts went out
All 4 Strut bearings
All 4 Strut bushings
Lower mount cracked
ignition broke
Power Steering pump went out
Some random no start issue

All the above got fixed under factory warranty around 20,000 miles and I have had no issues so far.

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:53 PM
As much as I hate my Saturn Ion, the Ecotec engine is pretty rock solid, I haven't had any issues at all with the engine itself.

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Monday, September 15, 2008 5:57 PM
dan yours doesn't count...urs is the FREAK!!! plus how many of those were self inflicted?

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:16 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:dan yours doesn't count...urs is the FREAK!!! plus how many of those were self inflicted?

SOUNDS LIKE A LEMON, it's yellow, too! LOL

Member of JBO - 9 Years & Counting...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:05 AM
125k on mine, the only things that ive had problems with thus far was the fuel pump. only other things ive done to it was change the oil, put brakes on it and fuel filter/sparkplugs. Its driven hard a lot and it has a lot of highway miles on it. I've owned it since 62k and mine is an 03 also. Overall ive loved the car thus far and am very pleased with it.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:05 AM
i have 60 k on my 03. only problem ive run into is my fuelpump went out last week. and im too much of a lazy bitch right now to go pop that tank down. plus i have the wifes car to drive(damn automatic though)

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:34 PM
Right on thanks very much
I WILL let you know if i join the team of owning a ecotec, should know by the weekend.

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:17 PM
I have 73 on my 02 ecotec, and pushing 70 on the 04. Both have not had any problems yet. Great motors in my opinion. I love my ecos <3

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Friday, September 19, 2008 8:59 AM
At 87K, my engine died at an autocross, spun 3 bearings crossing the finish line....

Still got me 2nd place!

Moral of the Story. AdDelco filters or go HOME!

-Chris

Friday, September 19, 2008 9:35 AM
I have 90k miles on my 03, and it runs even better than it did when I bought it at 35k miles.

The bolt ons have made this a nice ride overall.

It was fine in stock condition too, but I like to make things a little more interesting.

2003 Sunfire with 2 1/4 inch turbo muffler, 2 1/4 piping, 2 1/2 inch resonator, a 2 1/4 inch catalytic converter, 2 1/2 inch down-pipe, a 4:2:1 RK Sports 'clone' header, E-bay strut brace, ground wire kit and an AEM true cold air intake NOPI edition.
Friday, September 19, 2008 8:35 PM
i got a 02 ls sport that just turned 50k miles.

i got a o2 sensor code, but that is minor.

overall so far so good.

good luck with the purchase.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:46 PM
114k on my 04 Ls sedan no problems at all, kinda surprises me actually been a good little car my first J so never know what to expect but yeah overall been a great car.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:39 PM
Only problem I've had with the Eco/Getrag drivetrain is the backup switch on the transmission... actually, two different ones now. Seems it's a common failure.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search