remember this j-body concept? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
remember this j-body concept?
Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:36 PM
Hey guys watch this video, you have to watch it until the end. It's an old concept for a Cimarron convertible, the narrator says its a J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI59q160B6o

Re: remember this j-body concept?
Monday, January 12, 2009 6:13 AM
Cimarron convertibles arent a concept. they are rare, but exist.

not that I would want one....

Monday, January 12, 2009 7:49 AM
John Benham wrote:Cimarron convertibles arent a concept. they are rare, but exist.

so they produced that dual cockpit convertible for the public?

Monday, January 12, 2009 8:09 AM
The nice thing about working at a car literature shop is that I can sometimes settle arguments.

This is an original promotional brochure for that car. Note the final picture:

$10 buys the brochure, BTW.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Monday, January 12, 2009 9:53 AM
cool brochure!!!!

Ive never heard of an actual Cimarron Convertible that is similar to the Cavalier or Sunfire. I don't even think they made a 2-door Cimarron. Is that concept an actual J-body?
Monday, January 12, 2009 10:01 AM
Jacob B wrote:cool brochure!!!!

Ive never heard of an actual Cimarron Convertible that is similar to the Cavalier or Sunfire. I don't even think they made a 2-door Cimarron. Is that concept an actual J-body?

If you squint to make out the second page of the brochure, it says "...concept car that's built on a 1985 Cadillac Cimarron platform with a 5" extended wheelbase..". So yeah, it's a modified J.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Monday, January 12, 2009 11:29 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
John Benham wrote:Cimarron convertibles arent a concept. they are rare, but exist.

so they produced that dual cockpit convertible for the public?

ooops. cant see pics at work, thought it was a regular cim vert.

that thing gets an A+ in the ugly department.

Monday, January 12, 2009 1:01 PM
John Benham wrote:
that thing gets an A+ in the ugly department.

you got THAT right!! That thing is WIERD-looking!!!

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Monday, January 12, 2009 5:33 PM
I'd rock it...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:13 PM
ya the engine is also just the 2.8L V6. I don't know what the other guy was saying GM never made a 82-89 Convertible Cimarrron for sale to the public. or did they?
Monday, January 12, 2009 8:23 PM

it looks like an effin boat

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:11 PM
As fart as I know ALL Cimarron's were 4 door sedans. No convertibles.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:46 PM
there were a few cimarrons convertibles made 12 to be exact. from asc. california editions

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:33 PM
Yeah, I believe a dealer out in CA had some agreement and was able to sell Cimmaron convertibles, but since there never was a 2 door Cimmaron...my guess is they were Cavalier ragtops with Caddy front clips & interiors. One just popped up on Craigslist a month ago or so. Not bad looking IMO.

BTW That concept is pretty slick for the 1980's. Looks like a lot of 1980's "Jelly Bean" concept cars.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 12:08 PM
I remember that one, I saw it this summer!

And here's an interesting indicator/button I found inside:

--------------------------------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird // 1995 Beretta Base
Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:48 PM
id drive it if it didnt have rear seats

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:34 PM
I've seen this brochure years ago, and have since lost my copy. The "jelly-bean" shape was quite common in the '80s, as the future was looking to make increased use of aero-dynamics in styling for fuel-efficiency reasons. The dual-cowl was to be a hark back to the days (The '30s I'd say...) of when Caddilac was a luxury mark of great grandure... not the then-common "floaty" boxes on wheels with "whores-drawers" interiors & nightmarishly leak-prone or drivability-troubled engines created in desperation (The HT-series V-8s, the carbureted "4/6/8" Displacement-on-demand V-8s) that made them also criplingly underpowered. Concept styling has always been about testing public reaction to new lines of styling, and luring potential customers with notions of what may be. Sadly, it's usually the former that ever makes it to production, and on a model that you'd never recognize it on... even if you had seen it before and loved it.

If there were any "convertible" Cimarron's built, I'd bet they were most likely just sedans with faux-roadster (ridgid & phoney) treatments done to the top, like I've seen many times before, and have always looked cheap & ugly to me. I mean, can you imagime a mid-'80s Firebird with one? I've actually seen one in a dealer. Gross!

As for the other "late" Caddilac concepts, watch "Demolition Man" & note the car that the Santa Angeles "Boss" gets out of. Yep, it's one of them! In fact, many "late" GM concepts & replicas of were used in that movie to represent future model automobiles that would seem "common" in the 2036 setting during the latter 2/3s of the movie. And the cop cars? Based off the GM Ultralite concept (early-'90s), which showcased the notion of a 6-passenger sedan that was capable of getting 100mpg by being powered by a rear-mounted "oil-less" 2-stroke engine that utilized direct gasoline injection. An item (the injection) we now have. Imagine... the power of a 4-cyl engine from only 2-cyls! GM has done the oil-less 2-stroke thing before in diesel form decades ago, maybe it's time to do a gasoline version... since we have the technology.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:46 AM
Is it so wrong that I want it?

I think its kinda cool!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 11:17 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:Is it so wrong that I want it?

I think its kinda cool!

Nope

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:33 AM
snowblindburd wrote:I remember that one, I saw it this summer!

Fiero owners would love to have that as a kind of sick joke.

Short of the weird backseat area, I'd drive that car today.

1989 Z24 Convertible - Dust Covered
2006 tC - Dust Covered, but driven more
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:32 AM
ZlineDavid wrote:
snowblindburd wrote:I remember that one, I saw it this summer!

Fiero owners would love to have that as a kind of sick joke.

Short of the weird backseat area, I'd drive that car today.

I thought you pushed that button. when you were through with it and wanted the insurance company to total it...

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:32 PM
Fugly winner.

I never heard of this monstrosity...and now wish I hadn't. I thought perhaps this thread was about the one-off widebody J Sunfire that GM made but never went into production.

It recently sold at Barrett-Jackson for over $110,000. A j-body. It was a sharp-looking car too.

On another note: there was a 2003 Sunfire GT on EBay last year selling for $90,000 (opening bid). It was the 'Compact Car' winner at SEMA for 2007, I believe. First and only time a j-body ever won at SEMA.
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 5:09 PM
Thats a sweet looking ride man! I'd ride that today the way it is...
Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:34 PM
Daryl Scott wrote:Yeah, I believe a dealer out in CA had some agreement and was able to sell Cimmaron convertibles, but since there never was a 2 door Cimmaron...my guess is they were Cavalier ragtops with Caddy front clips & interiors.quote]

I'd have to agree with that.. its not like thats something any dedicated member of this site could pull off anyway, so I'd total believe a dealership would do this

and I have a pic of a green and yellow Cavalier thats insanely modded that was supposedly kicking so much ass at SEMA that they had to impliment some kinda rule that disallowed multiple wins... I'll have to dig the pic out of the SE forums. or, it coulda been Nopi.. I'm not sure

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search