oil light!!!?? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil light!!!??
Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:27 PM
My 04 cavalier LS SPORT Coupe..2nd owner only 48000 miles. runs great but the oil light came on about month ago for a littlw while on and off, went another 1000 miles before it came on again the other day.

The oil is good and I've changed the oil with mobil 1 synthetic every 5000 miles and no leaks eitherr that I see.

Any ideas why is may be coming on?
I just changed the oil about 700 miles ago.

Thanks

Re: oil light!!!??
Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:33 PM
sending unit maybe?

use your noodle lol. could be a couple things maybe...

Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:35 PM
couple things as in?
Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:38 PM
oil sensor bad... wiring bad on the sensor.. etc.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:53 PM
Ya the oil pressure sensor just has a pressure switch in it... when you start the car and oil pressure pushes on the little plate inside.... it makes the light go out.... the little plate in the sensor might be sticking. As for a wiring prob.. if its the same as the 2.4's if you have a bad connection the light wont come on at all (open circuit = light off) if Eco's are the same way... im not sure if a wiring prob would cause it. It's prob just the sensor going out...

If you your oil level is OK and you have a clean filter.... and the car hasnt seized.. thats prob all it is.... but other than having an oil pressure gauge to know for sure... replacing the sensor to see if it stops is the only thing I cant think of trying.

Sunday, June 07, 2009 7:59 PM
alrighttt. thanks. you think the check engine light that came on now without the oil light has something to do with it ???
It runs great :]
Monday, June 08, 2009 3:02 AM
Those 2 should not be related.......

It sounds like you "probably" have an oil pressure switch and O2 sensor going out at the same time (my first guess)

Or some really freaky wiring harness issues.

But the oil light should be independent from the check engine light.

Monday, June 08, 2009 3:43 AM
An oil light on does not mean "huh, that looks like something I should check out when I get a chance, maybe I've got a bad wire"
An oil light on DOES mean "STOP!!!!!! You may be on the verge of doing some VERY SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE!!!!" Find out why it is on BEFORE DRIVING THE CAR ANOTHER INCH!!!!

It MIGHT be a wire
It MIGHT be a sender
It MIGHT be an OIL PUMP
It MIGHT be a clogged pickup screen
Etc.

But that's just my opinion. Go On, Keep driving, your parts supplier and mechanic may LOVE you for it!

Dave
Monday, June 08, 2009 3:55 AM
david keevil wrote:An oil light on does not mean "huh, that looks like something I should check out when I get a chance, maybe I've got a bad wire"
An oil light on DOES mean "STOP!!!!!! You may be on the verge of doing some VERY SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE!!!!" Find out why it is on BEFORE DRIVING THE CAR ANOTHER INCH!!!!

It MIGHT be a wire
It MIGHT be a sender
It MIGHT be an OIL PUMP
Etc.

But that's just my opinion. Go On, Keep driving, your parts supplier and mechanic may LOVE you for it!

Dave

Allow me to express one more thought.

The Check Engine Light (CEL) does indeed mean to check out your engine as soon as you can but keep on driving. This CEL system has dumbed down other warning systems to all mean the same in many people's minds. IN the past before CEL's when an idiot light came on it meant STOP, TURN OFF MOTOR.......NOW!
Today, it means the exact same thing.

Dave
Monday, June 08, 2009 11:24 PM
^^^^^^ True.... but the problem is that unless he wants to tear apart his motor..... about the only thing he can do is just replace the sending unit and see if that fixes it.... those are really your only 2 choices.

Personally... I dont trust idiot lights..... thats why I have aftermarket gauges.....so I can actually see whats going on instead of wondering if a light is right or wrong...... and if for some reason my oil pressure drops way down.... the engine is getting shut off before i even stop the car.

But for the OP's situation..... it's not on all the time..... so I would refrain from driving it until the sending unit is replaced and see if that works..... taking it easy with the car in the mean time....... since the car hasnt blown up with him driving it this way so far..... it's prob safe to do..

As far as the cel.... if the car is running fine it really wont hurt much to ignore it.... but you should still fiqure out why its coming on..... it could be a few things.... but if the car is running fine.....my money would be on the second O2 going bad.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 9:13 AM
Weebel wrote:^^^^^^ True.... but the problem is that unless he wants to tear apart his motor..... about the only thing he can do is just replace the sending unit and see if that fixes it.... those are really your only 2 choices.

Personally... I dont trust idiot lights..... thats why I have aftermarket gauges.....so I can actually see whats going on instead of wondering if a light is right or wrong...... and if for some reason my oil pressure drops way down.... the engine is getting shut off before i even stop the car.

But for the OP's situation..... it's not on all the time..... so I would refrain from driving it until the sending unit is replaced and see if that works..... taking it easy with the car in the mean time....... since the car hasnt blown up with him driving it this way so far..... it's prob safe to do..

As far as the cel.... if the car is running fine it really wont hurt much to ignore it.... but you should still fiqure out why its coming on..... it could be a few things.... but if the car is running fine.....my money would be on the second O2 going bad.

Hi,

Not advocating that he tear the motor apart. I am advocating to not be driving around with a light that indicates you have oil pressure problems and thinking little of it. I am advocated finding the cause and FIXING it TODAY. I agree, most likely it is simply a bad sender unit but then again, who knows? Better to stop and be safe than to continue on for days or weeks in ignorant bliss until the motor ceases spinning.

Dave

Friday, June 12, 2009 4:00 AM
He could also pull that sending unit out of there and just install an oil pressure gauge.... fire the car up and see what it says..... that would be the best way...... I think my Autometer one didnt really cost that much.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:44 PM
david keevil wrote:
david keevil wrote:An oil light on does not mean "huh, that looks like something I should check out when I get a chance, maybe I've got a bad wire"

It MIGHT be a wire
It MIGHT be a sender
It MIGHT be an OIL PUMP
Etc.

Dave

Allow me to express one more thought.

The Check Engine Light (CEL) does indeed mean to check out your engine as soon as you can but keep on driving. This CEL system has dumbed down other warning systems to all mean the same in many people's minds. IN the past before CEL's when an idiot light came on it meant STOP, TURN OFF MOTOR.......NOW!
Today, it means the exact same thing.

Dave

NOW THATS THINKIN WITH YOUR DIPSTICK!!

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:09 PM
were would the oil pressure sensor be at on my 99 sunfire with 2.2 ?
Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:35 PM
back of the engine, above the oil filter.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, July 05, 2009 1:37 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:back of the engine, above the oil filter.

Thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search