So....what to do with the cavy now....keep / sell? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
So....what to do with the cavy now....keep / sell?
Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:32 PM
I recently picked myself up another car. So now I own two cars.

I've been wondering what exactly to do with my 01 Z24. It has a few luxuries (S/C, Katzkin, big brakes, audio system) and only 77,000 miles. Paint's in whatever shape, but for the most part it still runs fairly well. My new car is a whole different world to the cavy, and I drive it as much as I can because its so much fun. The cavy only costs me $125 per 6 mo. to insure, so those are the only real expenses on it.

1) Should I sell the cavy, and try to get some money for it? For the most part, the cavy will be sitting most of the time - my gf has her own car and I don't have anyone else besides me that would drive it. Selling the cavy for a few thousand would take a few thousand off the loan I owe on the "new" car.

2) Or should I keep the cavy as a beater? The new car is somewhat flashy, so it's not the car to take at "certain" times. Also would have it in case one car breaks down (of course I hope this never happens). Then again, I'd have the cavy basically sitting there day after day as a depreciating asset. The new car is fully insured, so if something were to happen, I'd claim it on the insurance.

Not sure if it's worth having the money, or having a beater. Opinions?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Re: So....what to do with the cavy now....keep / sell?
Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:05 PM
I would keep it around selling it you will be at a loss overall in it.

Since it still runs keep it as a "just in case" car. It doesn't need to be insured at all times so you could drop insurance on it when you don't intend on driving it to save some.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:12 PM
If I want to keep my tag and registration current, I cannot drop the insurance.

So then what would I do with the cavy in the long run? Keep it for another 5 years or longer until it dies? Then what do I do with it? I'd have nothing, maybe $100 in scrap metal. And probably $200 to tow it to the scrap yard anyway.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:19 PM
Damn we don't have to do that here.

Well man your options are pretty much.

Keep the car as a beater

Sell it off

Make it a true play thing.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:44 PM
I vote keep it as a spare! Just in case & for convenience!

I love having 2 cars for convenience. Any time one car needs serviced, I drive the other. Tires, inspection, oil changes - whatever - my husband can take care of it & we don't worry about him taking me to work or finding a ride. I do drive my Sunfire daily though, it's a '99 with ~98,xxx miles & it's worth next to nothing anyway. I figure the aftermarket stuff I put on it will still be worth a few hundred if I took it off now or 2 years from now, but the actual car is worth more to me as a spare than it is as cash. Insurance on something like that isn't much, neither is the yearly registration & inspection in my state. And since I split my driving between 2 cars, I haven't had to do emissions testing 2 of the last 3 years.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:49 PM
put it out there for sale with a high selling point and see what kinda offers you get. If someone offers you something worthwhile, sell it.

Whats the new car?

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:54 PM
Someone else on another forum mentioned "crowded movie theater parking lot, a night club/bar, Home Depot", which also goes along with walmart and sporting events.

I was also thinking the same thing - I should put it out there for double what I want for it.....see what happens lol. And it's a C55 AMG btw.

Friday, July 17, 2009 11:16 AM
see if your insurance company will let you put it in "innactive" status, that what I do for a car that only gets driven in the summer or something. Takes that $125 down to about $25.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:22 AM
The $125 every 6 months really isn't a big deal guys - that's what, 20 bucks a month so I can drive the car whenever I want?

I think I'm going to go ahead and keep the cavy. There's just certain times when I don't want to take the AMG to certain places. I'll just continue to part out the car to try to get some money invested back, and keep it as my beater. Every car guys need a beater anyway, right?

Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:24 AM
fo sho.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:10 AM
KEEP IT.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:47 AM
If your insurance is so cheap i would keep it or do what the others said: put it on the market.

If you get a good deal, take it. Use the money to buy an older beater (like a 2nd gen z24/gt ) and pocket the rest of the cash.

Seems pretty straight forward. =P
Friday, July 24, 2009 8:52 PM
I sold my '00 to my brother for $1500 since he wanted a winter sled for my sis in law to drive so her '07 Caravan can not get all rusting like her previous all the time truck did.. I am not going to get another car right now as I want to wait until my wife's Impala is paid off and I'd like to look at some other make anyway. Not foreign, however.

"...smells like cheese..."-Stewie Griffin
Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:07 AM
Yea, for now I've decided I'm going to keep it. I may look for a 02 LS Sport with manual transmission to play with (since my car is automatic, just to change it up a little bit). But I decided that I do need a beater for certain occasions.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:04 AM
keep it, put a smaller pully on the charger, blow doors off other cars, so they get the" I just got beat my a cavalier" look.

just classic

Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:22 PM
yeah, id take all the aftermarket stuff out including the sterio, sell it all. take that money you just made and put it towards the good car. now you have a base cavalier beater you can drive anywhere you want and never have to worry about it. my beater grand am is like that, doesnt even have a radio in it. i dont bother locking it or anything. its nice having a car you dont have to worry about at all. as said above, take it when you go to places you dont want to take the real car. save the real car for when you wanna just enjoy the ride. use the beater for mundane stuff where you dont have to worry and you dont have to rack up miles on your good car doing stupid stuff like running to the hardware store or the grocery store. etc etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:34 PM
Yup, that's what I'm doing in this thread http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=23&i=75120&t=75120

I might also look into listing it for an outrageous price on craigslist/ebay/autotrader. Never know, someone may just want to buy it lol. Then find a cheaper cavy and pocket the cash.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:08 PM
Please sell it with everything on it so we do not have to read these post every 3 months.

FU Tuning

Monday, July 27, 2009 2:23 PM
Viper98912 wrote:Yup, that's what I'm doing in this thread http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=23&i=75120&t=75120

I might also look into listing it for an outrageous price on craigslist/ebay/autotrader. Never know, someone may just want to buy it lol. Then find a cheaper cavy and pocket the cash.

ive been tempted to do that to mine but then i didnt' want to have to deal with all the idiots going "man your stupid youlle never get that much" and have to keep explaining myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search