exhaust cracked at head - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
exhaust cracked at head
Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:48 AM
1997 Sunfire GT 4.2 quad

My sons exhaust got loud all of the sudden, looked underneath car, exhaust looks excellent, noticed it was no longer hooked to exhaust manifold.

The pipe broke off right at the flare at the exhaust manifold past the spring looking connector where the flange is installed, the exhaust is attached properly and as i said the rest of the exhuast looks fairly new

I tried getting bolts out of exhust manifold to have it welded or something and broke off a bolt at the flange.

I now have the pleasure of removing the manifold. I have already sprayed with blaster, gonna give it some time to penetrate then try removing manifold.

Is this a common problem, the pipe breaking here?

thanks....gary

Re: exhaust cracked at head
Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:40 AM
about a year or so ago i seen an armadillo in the road so i moved over so id go under the car and it hit the down pipe and broke the flex section(@!#$in armadillo) i rigged it with a coat hanger for a few days and seen if it could be welded back, it couldn't be. so i bought a new flex section at autozone for a $100. and the new one is a LOT better of a design than what gm put on it. you'll have to cut it off about 6 to 8 inches in front of cat and it slips over the pipe and held with a clamp. good luck getting the broken bolt out.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:02 PM
wow ironic, mine just broke today at same spot, no kidding, sucks

Sunday, July 12, 2009 6:25 PM
mine busted at the flex part a while ago and i had my friend stick weld it together again (it didnt seal all the way around though so i used exhaust repair paste. worked for a week, lol) but the weld is still holding strong! Sounds nasty haha. Getting a header as soon as my funds appear LMAO
Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:05 PM
Yeah mine broke at the flex pipe.... seems like weak welds. If you can get someone to just weld it back together, it saves compared to buying a new flex pipe.
Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:19 PM
i had the exact problem, mine broke off halfway between the manifold and the flexpipe tho lol

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:40 AM
Pulled the manifold, got the broken bolt out

Since the pipe was just welded to the flange bracket, I may try to have this one welded also, but I am going to have to remove it at the cat right? I cannot imagine getting it welded in that little space.

I checked at Napa and the part they had include the cat and ran $309.

As MaxZ24 said in the above post, AZ has the pipe without the cat for $84.

I am going to try to remove the cat and if that doesn't work, just go buy the pipe at AZ and have it installed.

Thanks...gary

Monday, July 13, 2009 9:42 AM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:wow ironic, mine just broke today at same spot, no kidding, sucks

That is ironic, something is for sure going on....maybe we should try to use the force Luke!
Monday, July 13, 2009 11:59 AM
haha, ya i just took mine to muffler man, $129.50 to fix it

Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:36 AM
gary moore wrote:Pulled the manifold, got the broken bolt out

Since the pipe was just welded to the flange bracket, I may try to have this one welded also, but I am going to have to remove it at the cat right? I cannot imagine getting it welded in that little space.

I checked at Napa and the part they had include the cat and ran $309.

As MaxZ24 said in the above post, AZ has the pipe without the cat for $84.

I am going to try to remove the cat and if that doesn't work, just go buy the pipe at AZ and have it installed.

Thanks...gary

It's hard for me to picture the exact scenario, but why not just go to the salvage yard and get all the parts you need? It'd be a HE11 of a lot cheaper and the install is very basic. Just my personal opinion, but I can't see myself buying brand new parts in a situation like this. If it's just his daily driver, save your cash and buy used.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search