HORRIBLE experience with RKSport!!!! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HORRIBLE experience with RKSport!!!!
Friday, November 20, 2009 11:16 PM
Ok, I bought an RKSport underdrive pulley for my Sunfire a couple of years ago, actually about two and a half years ago. Well, I had a problem with my car leaking oil from the front main. Being that the engine was a used one from the salvage yard, I figured the front main seal was bad and never gave it a second thought. Anyways, I went to put the pulley on my built engine, and i find the pulley has a deep groove cut in it from where the seal rode.

Anyways, seeing as how the pulley had LESS THAN 20,000 MILES ON IT, I was pretty upset and contected RKSport, telling them of the problem and seeing about if there was any warranty. I spoke with (well, e-mailed) a guy named Frank, and he basically said there was no warranty, because the part might not have been professionally installed. Seriously, a pully, held on by 1 BOLT, might not have been professionally installed. Whatever, anyways I replied back and told him i'm ASE certified with many years experience, and the problem was due to defective aluminum where the seal rides, not with installation.

He replied back, saying that there is no other known problems with their pulleys, and if there were any problems he would have heard of it. Pretty funny that the pulley is nowhere to be found on their site for sale anymore, but whatever. So basically, I got told the "Too bad, so sad, sucks to be you" routine, and I'm out $150 on a pulley with not even 20,000 miles on it. Now I understand that parts don't last forever, and I don't expect them to. But I feel this is a serious defect in the quality of their parts, and I for one will NEVER buy anything from them again, and will pass the word along to whoever I can.

Let this be a warning to everyone else on J-body, RKSport will NOT stand behind the quality of the parts they carry, and will give you the runaround if you do have problems with them.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Re: HORRIBLE experience with RKSport!!!!
Friday, November 20, 2009 11:30 PM
So you want them to warranty a part that is at least 2.5 years old?

Friday, November 20, 2009 11:46 PM
No, the time i've had it isn't my issue. It could sit on a shelf for 100 years, and that wouldn't be my issue. My issue is that the pulley wore to the point of it being completely unuseable in less than 20,000 miles.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 2:55 AM
underdrive pulley will hurt your crankshaft over time anyway.

get the ATI superdamper. much better, and is what I'm switching to.

my RKSport pulley is getting sold or being used as my next door stop.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 11:20 AM
Ive seen the same exact thing done on another RK pully. Its caused by the GM seal that is used.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:35 PM
I can fix the pulley. I have fixed a few...other brands already.....It is a very common problem. Most happen in around 12,000 to 15,000 on L61's, LE5's, and LNF's.

I can machine away the aluminum in that area and install a steel ring.....much like what MRZ now does with their ecotec pulleys.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:50 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I can fix the pulley. I have fixed a few...other brands already.....It is a very common problem. Most happen in around 12,000 to 15,000 on L61's, LE5's, and LNF's.

I can machine away the aluminum in that area and install a steel ring.....much like what MRZ now does with their ecotec pulleys.

BINGO! This is the best method to use...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:55 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I can fix the pulley. I have fixed a few...other brands already.....It is a very common problem. Most happen in around 12,000 to 15,000 on L61's, LE5's, and LNF's.

I have seen a similar groove in LD9 pullies

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LG0/LD9 for Life
Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:38 PM
I'm gonna share an OLD picture I made back int he day.....

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:49 PM
Yikes! Remind me never to "piss" any of you guys off, lol!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:54 PM
I've delt with you guys before as well and was never "pissed"

Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:41 PM
MDLD9 - How much would you charge to fix my pulley? Thanks!!!

Sunday, November 22, 2009 4:58 PM
never had a problem with the pully but I did have a oil leak for awhile. thought it was the front timing cover but turned out the be the front crank seal. fixed the leak. im taking the piece of crap pulley off anyways. underdrives the charging system a little too much.
Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:49 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:

I have seen a similar groove in LD9 pullies

I have also fixed a few LD9's with BAD grooves. Same as the eco's, machined down the snout, and added a steal insert. Maybe some of the members I have fixed can post on it. They have all been happy.
Roofy wrote:MDLD9 - How much would you charge to fix my pulley? Thanks!!!

I'll see what I charged last time I did a Eco pulley and PM you. Please remind me after Thanksgiving if you haven't heard from me.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, November 23, 2009 9:08 AM
I stopped buying from RKSport a while ago, I had issues with the ecotec Header when it first came out. They never tested it on an automatic 2002 ls sport and it appears that in 03 GM moved the subframe and the header rubbed on my power steering lines and blew out my power steering and rubbed on the subframe....I called about it and they said well we never tested it on a 2002 ecotec. So after spending 450 dollars on the header and having it professionally installed...I was screwed

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:13 AM
When I installed my exhaust (and header) I was paranoid as hell and went through the engine bay making damn sure nothing was in contact with or too close to the exhaust.

That sucks about the pully.... thats one of the 3 reasons I dont run aftermarket pulleys on my car (or at least the sunfire)

Friday, November 27, 2009 12:30 PM
All have been pm'ed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:24 PM
I hate RKsport, I had bad customer experience from them as well.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, December 07, 2009 7:29 AM
Re-manufactered LD9 crank pulley for reference...with steel sleeve.

Special thanks to Henry Brettrager II.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, December 07, 2009 12:14 PM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:Yikes! Remind me never to "piss" any of you guys off, lol!

dam you bill !!!!!!!! you up and sold that twin turbo gto !!!!!!!!!!!!

oh wait , this isnt the national gto site , LMAO

mike im not sure you need to go that far , but it will hold up a LONG TIME , i know even the steel balancers get those rings after LONG use , and they used to sell(probably still do) stainless sleeves that you push over the balancer , with little to no machine work , no clue of they offer them in for our cars though

as far as RK CRAPPY goes , they have always had very VERY CRAPPY service , karo was the only saving grace for rk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 07, 2009 1:14 PM

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 4:26 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(™)]mike im not sure you need to go that far , but it will hold up a LONG TIME , i know even the steel balancers get those rings after LONG use , and they used to sell(probably still do) stainless sleeves that you push over the balancer , with little to no machine work , no clue of they offer them in for our cars though
No, I didn't need to go that far, but I rather only fix something once. Any idea who"us to" sell the sleeves?

PRND321 Till I DIE

Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:33 PM
Ive ran my RK sport pulley for over 60,000 miles. Never a problem. Only difficulties when putting it on and taking it off. (Don't have power tools) . I just wish someone would have told me that it's not compatible with the GM S/C kit. Couldn't figure it out for the world why in the hell the belt didn't fit right.
Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:40 PM
Although it is realllllly odd that RK took the pulley off but kept the belt on their website...hmmmm
Sunday, January 03, 2010 10:55 AM
Did your main seal have signs of rubbing on it? Does the crankshaft noise have "scaring" from the seal cutting into it?

DiamlerChrysler Certified Technician
ASE Certified Technician
Option D Racing Member
Monday, January 04, 2010 12:41 PM
Option D wrote:Did your main seal have signs of rubbing on it? Does the crankshaft noise have "scaring" from the seal cutting into it?

The seal rides on the pulley, it will never touch the crank.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search