Official New JBO Server thread - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Official New JBO Server thread
Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:16 PM
I hope this does not come off wrong. But do we know Dave is planning this, or wanting to do this? I remember a server upgrade being done a year or 2 ago (I think). Dave usually starts these treads, and no offense to anyone, but if I do not hear it from Dave well I'm not believing it. This is only in regards to site upgrades.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 02, 2010 2:24 PM
Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:32 PM
^^ Thanks, explains more.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 02, 2010 3:50 PM
no problem.

Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:22 PM
Last year was kind of a tight year, financially (four years w/o a pay raise, thanks State of Florida!). Got a major bill payed off and could get a new Premium Membership for this year. I've barely ever went over a hundred post in any month since joining the org and I don't visit AG or AAG very often, but I do it to support the org.

Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:46 PM
I went premo after I got out of the military... and have been ever since except for that almost year stint when I didnt have a computer...

I used to be a regular here all over the site but mainly stick to OT and AG for the most part now although I should really help more again LOL...

This has just always been more then a car site for me.... the off topic part is better then any OT forum i've been on.

Plus Dave seems to be good @!#$ unlike some of the nazi's on other sites I've seen..

Oh and for the record...... Cheescake is Pie...

Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:02 PM
!topic pie!

Do not like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:05 PM

Sunday, January 03, 2010 8:46 AM
thanks for that.

ima go barf now.

Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:13 PM
Cheese cake is cake.

Monday, January 04, 2010 8:27 PM
Mike wrote:!topic pie!

SNIP

Do not like.

This is why i removed everyone's access to the !topic command in chat. No one wants to talk about pie. Especially Brian... don't let him fool you !! =P

-------------
Re-upped for 2 additional years.... best i can do right now

Expiration Date: June 22, 2012

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 04, 2010 8:38 PM

Monday, January 04, 2010 8:48 PM
He asked us all in AG to re-up our membership since we were the ones who actually have been contributing continuously. He asked for some new ideas to implement for the premium users, and honestly the only thing i've seen in the AG & AAG links added to the left side tab bar since then.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=49&i=236808&t=236808

I know I am not the highest contributor on this site but after 2 ran GP's($30), and 5 years of paid premium membership($100) I will unfortunately no longer be contributing. I rarely post anymore, and have been slowly growing away from the J scene even tho I still own one. Other people need to step up to the plate besides all the regulars who have forked out $20 every year. If I do re-up it will be solely for the shop use only.

Monday, January 04, 2010 9:23 PM
thats totally understandable... and yes... there are so many more users who use this site daily that could contribute to it.... hopefully they'll see the light and support the .org

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:15 AM
been a strong supporter and prem member for a long time here and if sending some money will help out the cause sign me up......but like stated above i really think we need to get the ball rollin on JBO decals and newer shirts

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:12 PM
I'm sorry, I don't doubt you have the best of intentions, but until Dave chimes in here or personally asks and gives a paypal account HE has set up and trusts for donations...I'm going to wait. I know he needs it, and i know it will help. And i will gladly donate generously as I did the last time. But only when he's given his blessing.
Not saying you are not trustworthy...but it's Dave's site and i'm not giving anyone a donation until he himself says he approves of said donation.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:09 PM
I meant to chime in earlier today but I got sidetracked.

First off, thanks for the support. I don't like to ask for financial support unless it is vital. That said, here is our current status.

The server (there is only one at this time) that this site runs on is old and outdated, and probably running on borrowed time. I have another server here that needs some TLC to get running. It may need a new motherboard, at a cost of around $100. That will help out the site a lot, and keep it running pretty well into the next year. That is, if I can get this server running.

Regardless, the current server is over 8 years old, and this new server is 4, so we still need something new. I don't have any final numbers, but my goal with new servers (and I have built a lot of them over the years) is to keep cost in the neighborhood of $1000. Today that would get us a nice system with more then enough power to keep things going for years to come.

I haven't made any official announcement of a server fund, because I figured we still have some time. I am glad people are stepping up now though. I know of only 1 person so far that has made a donation above and beyond renewing their premium membership. I think that there have been a few people that may have renewed because of this post though. Premium has always gone 100% towards our hosting bill. If there is leftover because of the server fund, and also any donations, will go into an interest earning account until needed. I can tell you for certain it will be this year though, so it won't be earning very much.

As for products... first off stickers are in the works, but they won't be a high dollar item. I don't count on making much money on them, they are meant to be a cheap item. As for anything else (shirts I've been hearing?) until I have some designers willing to help me out, there are no plans as of now.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:39 PM
so bump the cost of the stickers up to 5 bucks, it's not a big boost but it helps. and i think almost every member in that thread would b willing to pay that price. i know i would.

as said bfore make the announcement and the paypal address to send the money to and i'll give twenty bucks, not much but it's all i can afford right now.

and i would b down for a shirt if and when the time comes.

alot of us really wanna help dave, i know i'm still pretty new here but i like this site, and the info in it. not to mention the community of a dead platform.

i'll help out all i can. and i'm sure there are alot of other members that feel the same way.

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:52 PM
Ok, see that's all I wanted to know. It's nice to be pro-active and help, but until Dave himself opens up a paypal for donations I'm not interested.
I'd love to drop coin on a new server so i can have another 11 years of newbs getting pissy and "trying" to flame me by asking why i'm even posting in here when i don't EVEN own a j-body. In other words, I have no right to comment or post on a forum i helped pay for and they didn't. That's always been good for a chuckle.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Re: Official New GME Server thread
Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:28 PM
i see the real potential the GM Enthusiast Network has, and where it could be with some support. For one, i think this is one of the only forums ive been on that the owner, Dave, wrote the entire codebase from scratch... as you all can notice, this isnt vBulletin or phpBB. Also this site is hosted on a server owned by Dave and is located in a data-centre. Most sites pay for space and resources on a server owned by a hosting company. Also, we have an IRC Server for our chat. Most forums who do have chat, either have a server intensive PHP/MySQL chat, or an AIM Chatroom or something along those lines.

This site is laid out really well, and i think with some help with content, other GM Platform sites based off this one could really take off. Teh Jeffie is working on GM Delta now, and if it ends up turning out like JBO has, i think we could see the rest of the platforms follow suit.

If this ends up being the case, a new server will be a necessity due to the extra traffic running throughout the sites.

(i still think we should merge General, Regional Forums, OT and AG across all the forums on the network as a traffic grabber. =) )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:31 PM

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:01 PM
blucavvy wrote:
as said bfore make the announcement and the paypal address to send the money to and i'll give twenty bucks, not much but it's all i can afford right now.

http://www.j-body.org/membership/

Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:20 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:Cheese cake is cake.

No its not.... ITS PIE!

Cake is breaded and doesnt have a crust...

Pie is made in a pie pan starting with a crust and then a filler.... thats how cheesecake is made so its pie..

If cheesecake is cake so is pumpkin and lemon meringue pie..

LOL

And good luck Dave.... I'll double check and see when my premo is set to laps here...

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:04 AM
paypal@gmenthusiast.com is the paypal address. Every little bit helps. i just sent some money.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:28 AM
im gonna re-up my prem account tonight and send some extra funds your way Dave

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:01 PM
I'll buy a few more years of premy at the end of the month. The holidays cleaned me out pretty good.

219whp - I <3 whine

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:18 PM
Tinkles wrote:I'll buy a few more years of premy at the end of the month. The holidays cleaned me out pretty good.

So did that baked mac and cheese we ate.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:35 AM
if each decal brought in $3 profit.....there is over $700 in PROFIT awaiting collection for the decals. $3.00 profit is more than reasonable in my book. if the place making them charges an arm and a leg to make the 239 we have interest in then its time to find a new place.

$700 is a lot of money. it would pretty much cover the new server cost. im sure the rest has already been donated and or paid for by premium membership re-ups just since this thread has been posted.

i dont know about you guys but IMO the decals should be priority one as far as generation of revenue goes.

Trailer Queen corvette wanna-be with 40 coats of wax and powdercoating that soaks in.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search