to rebuild or not.. the ? of the day! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
to rebuild or not.. the ? of the day!
Monday, April 26, 2010 7:58 PM
so i picked up this 97 cav z24 last month with a blown headgasket that had sat for 2 yrs. it had 114,000 when i bought it... dragged it home, pulled the top end off and replaced the headgasket, some timing parts and tried to flush all the gunk n goo out of it. all was good till a few days ago (2000 miles later) when a rod started knocking. pulled the dipstick and sure enough... metal shavings!

so now im wondering if i should tear it down completely or just get a crank kit and leave the head on it or what. don't really want to tear it down completely so its thought and suggestion time!

thanks

Re: to rebuild or not.. the ? of the day!
Monday, April 26, 2010 10:26 PM
sounds like its time for an eco swap .. lol but really i would just rebuild it if you rebuild that motor correctly it will be worth every penny...

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:21 AM
found a cadillac for cheap last nite... now that would be an interesting swap LOL but seriously, a couple questions ....
1.. can the crank be swapped out without removing the head?
2.. should i replace the cam bearings too? (im thinking yes as insurance)
3.. assembly lube or just a good coat of oil?
4.. any tricks for making sure i get all the metal shavings out so i dont destroy the new bearings??
Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:47 AM
I guess you could but I would not suggest trying (engine has to come out anyways so why not pull the head)

Q4/LD9 does not have "cam bearings"

I always use GM EOS when assembling my engines

Complete dissasembly and flush

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:38 AM
my thought on not pulling the head is i just did it 2000 miles ago and dont want to spend the money and disturb it again. yes i found out there are no cam bearings after i asked the question.

what is the best way to flush the head and block so i dont destroy the new bearings? im finding out that these engines are a completely different beast from the gm v6's and v8's im used to working on!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search