Rust nightmare - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Rust nightmare
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:33 PM
Got a 2 door 93 cav 2.2L spd (had since High school) still runs great, doesn't burn oil, but the body is definitely worse for wear. Any ideas on how to fix the rust problem on the bottom of the doors?? I've tried taking an angle grinder to the bottoms and hitting it with rust paint, put a year later it always comes back. Shes going from white to rust color pretty quick. Underneath is rusting pretty good too. How do we stop / slow down this progression of rust? Also where the car was smashed(rear pass side fender) in a hit and run I took a dent puller to it, then applied bondo, primer and paint. Took my time sanded it down, did a good job on it, but now 3 years later rust is popping through there as well

Also another huge problem is the trunk always has had a water leak. I've climbed in there with a flashlight and got the gf to spray the car with a hose and I can't find the leak anywhere. But everytime it rains for a day or two the trunk fills with water. My donut is rust colored

Re: Rust nightmare
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:06 PM
maybe you could replace the doors altogether. the only other way would be to have all the rest cut off by a welder and have new metal welded on.
Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:06 PM
Have you pulled the donut in the trunk? Carpet? Could be from underneath, or even the rear window.

As for the rust. If you want to save the car, you need to replace metal, not restore it. Oxidation is inevitble.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:42 PM
I completely gutted the trunk. The carpet was moldy. I took the donut and jack out, I used a angle grinder and coarse sand paper to clean the majortiy of the rust then hit it up with rust paint. Worked great for a while till the water came back in and rusted everything out again. The rear windshield, that could be the culprit. I never noticed the back seat or up behind where the extra brake light is getting wet before though...

I could prolly find a two doors at the wreckers. But getting at the rust underneath is going to be the true test of patience...
Saturday, May 01, 2010 12:44 PM
Try some Por 15.

At least your car wasn't ate by dogs. When the tranny went out in it I parked my '89 Sedan at a relative's house. Long story short he rented(if you can call it that, never charged her a cent) out a room to some chick who had little ankle biter dogs as well as a lab that chewed on everything. Went to check on the car a few months ago and all the metal below the doors was chewed off, suprised it still had bumpers. "My dogs didn't do that. They don't chew on anything" BULL @!#$ @!#$ BITCH!!! I bet your @!#$ MUTTS didn't chew thru his furniture either. GOD I @!#$ HATE Irresonsible pet owners!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search