What do you hate about the Js? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What do you hate about the Js?
Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:59 PM
I've been surfing the forums for a while now, and I had an interesting thought. There are a lot of people on here who put countless hours and $$$ into their Js, building to their own personal preferences. Most people who own Js do so because they are inexpensive to buy and maintain, and there are many people I've talked to who own Js because they dont want to be another dumbass with a riced honda. Theres a lot of reasons.

Im curious to know what got you to get a J, and also what you hate about them? As with any car, nothing is perfect. What do you hate about your J? Is it something you fixed, or something that is beyond your skill level to fix, or maybe theres no fix? I'll start this off by saying I'm on my third J, and I have a small laundry list of things that piss me off. I keep buying Js because of the reasons above, I hate looking at hooked up civics, and I've had horrible luck with chrysler products. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice at the auto mod thing, but I'd like to hear what the more experienced people have to say

- the incredibly crap-ass seals they used on the verts, and the fact that finding replacements is hard as hell and cost more than my vert was worth
- the location of the oil filter on the 2200 engine
- the cigarette lighter outlet short I've had in 3/3 of my Js
- the uncomfortable cheap seats they gave you if you got a base model. how about power seats? better yet, leather?
- replacing the cracked plastic strip along the windshield of the cavalier (I think this happens to every cavalier and sunfire)
- the ugly ass oversized chevy badge and reflector on the back of the '02-'05 Cavaliers
- why turning the dome light on requires you to turn the dimmer switch all the way up? Couldnt there have just been a separate switch for this?
- Why you cant run the fog lights and high beams at the same time (I know theres a mod to get rid of this, but there shouldnt have to be)
- changing the transmission fluid, period

blah blah blah im sure i have more, but I dont want to sound too whiney. This isnt a hate post, the 04' Cav LS I have now has easily been the best car I've ever owned. Its the little things....

Re: What do you hate about the Js?
Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:21 PM
i got my cav because it was cheap. i loved it, it was my first 5 speed, after a while i started to realize how much of a piece these cars really are. if its not one thing wrong with this car its another. i would say it may just be my car but everyone i know with a cav has the same issues. transmissions are WEAK! as soon as i get back from basic im either trading this piece in or rolling it down a cliff.

z yaaaa wrote:other than the nasty hood dent, steelies, 4X4 ride heidt, crooked front license plate, body color b pillar covers, 2200, lack of tint, and overall boringness of the car id say she's perfect!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:52 PM
rbs9009 wrote:
- the incredibly crap-ass seals they used on the verts, and the fact that finding replacements is hard as hell and cost more than my vert was worth

don't have a vert, wouldn't know.
Quote:

- the location of the oil filter on the 2200 engine

next time you change your oil, put a piece of aluminum foil on the exhaust pipe before taking the filter off. once you're done, change the foil, and it'll still be there next time you change your oil. simple.
Quote:

- the cigarette lighter outlet short I've had in 3/3 of my Js
i don't smoke, but i do use the socket for my cell phone. no issues there.
Quote:

- the uncomfortable cheap seats they gave you if you got a base model. how about power seats? better yet, leather?

freind of mine owns an 06 mini cooper s, said my seats (96 factory base model with my fatass in them since 80k) were much more comfortable than hers... i like my seats more than the vibes we have at work, as well as our colorado and now our brand new ranger.
Quote:

- replacing the cracked plastic strip along the windshield of the cavalier (I think this happens to every cavalier and sunfire)
96's dont have this issue, our lower dash is more robust
Quote:

- the ugly ass oversized chevy badge and reflector on the back of the '02-'05 Cavaliers
actually, there's not one thing i did like about the phase three third gen, with the exception of the rear lip on the rear LSS bumper. the top parts that flank the trunk? wtf is that? ugly is what it is.
Quote:

- why turning the dome light on requires you to turn the dimmer switch all the way up? Couldnt there have just been a separate switch for this?
welcome to 99% of gm vehicles.
Quote:

- Why you cant run the fog lights and high beams at the same time (I know theres a mod to get rid of this, but there shouldnt have to be)
, i agree whole heartedly with this. should be two completely separate circuits.
Quote:

- changing the transmission fluid, period
you must have an auto. mine takes no longer than a regular oil change

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:53 PM
So, You are saying, A cheap, mass-produced, economy, throw away car, gave you problems??????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:04 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:. the top parts that flank the trunk? wtf is that? ugly is what it is.

I like those

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:05 PM
Mike wrote:So, You are saying, A cheap, mass-produced, economy, throw away car, gave you problems??????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to make reference to the old adage: "If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems." That being said, theres no such thing as a car that wont break, or doesnt have design flaws. Some cars have more of these than others. Maybe your car was a "friday afternoon special" and has been nothing but a huge POS from day one (in my case, a '95 Lebaron). I am curious as to how much better or worse the Cobalt is/was put side by side to the Cavalier. Maybe GM learned from their mistakes, as with all advancements in engineering? not gonna hold my breath.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:08 PM
rbs9009 wrote:
Mike wrote:So, You are saying, A cheap, mass-produced, economy, throw away car, gave you problems??????

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to make reference to the old adage: "If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems." That being said, theres no such thing as a car that wont break, or doesnt have design flaws. Some cars have more of these than others. Maybe your car was a "friday afternoon special" and has been nothing but a huge POS from day one (in my case, a '95 Lebaron). I am curious as to how much better or worse the Cobalt is/was put side by side to the Cavalier. Maybe GM learned from their mistakes, as with all advancements in engineering? not gonna hold my breath.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=217265&t=217091&p=1
Quote:

While driving a Cobalt, Karl Stracke, vice president of global vehicle engineering, was blunt: "Look at this car, it's horrible. How did this get through so many people."

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:09 PM

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

That being said, I wasn't a fan of the Js at first, but they do grow on you......

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:10 PM
My car has given me no serious problems. All of them were expected at that point in it's life. On top of owning many j's, you kinda know whats going on when.

I'm just an ass

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:11 PM
Well, the LD9 spins rod bearings. My trailblazer SS spits out 4L70E Trannys like no tomorrow. I love my Grand Prix Gtp I wouldn't change a thing.
Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:16 PM
rbs9009 wrote:

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!

My Cav was built on Friday.

*knocks on wood*

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:19 PM
I would also like to add to my list, though not exclusive to the J, THEFTLOCK in the GM radios? wtf were they thinking? I dont think any competent carjacker in the US would risk their necks trying to steal a GM radio (which are cheap as hell and a dime a dozen) and not know how to disengage the theftlock

Seriously, its just a huge pain the balls for the owner when you change your battery and have to wonder what the access codes are. If im misrepresenting something, I apologize. All i know is that you can get a stock mp3 CD player from the junkyard here for $45, unlocked and ready to go. I bet the majority of you have aftermarket decks anyway... but still, WTF?

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:38 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
rbs9009 wrote:- Why you cant run the fog lights and high beams at the same time (I know theres a mod to get rid of this, but there shouldnt have to be)
, i agree whole heartedly with this. should be two completely separate circuits.

Illegal... states like VA require that no more than 2 lights be on with high beams (excessive lighting law)... we have to fail people on inspection for this...

i believe other states have the same excessive lighting law, even without state inspections...

Sunday, June 06, 2010 4:39 PM
Red2.2cavi wrote: after a while i started to realize how much of a piece these cars really are. if its not one thing wrong with this car its another. i would say it may just be my car but everyone i know with a cav has the same issues..

Hmmm...my reliability experiences in the J world:

1999 Sunfire SE, 2200 3 speed auto...bought new traded in w 115,000 miles. Replaced the O2 sensor around 55,000 miles and the battery at about 40,000 miles.

2004 Cavalier LS Sport, ecotec 4 speed auto...bought new, now 130,000 miles and counting. Replaced the left front wheel bearing at 108,000 miles and 128,000 miles. right front bearing at 130,000 miles. The battery at the around 120,000 miles.

Now I will add that my Sunfire was much more solidly built that the Cavalier...but the Cav was assembled in Mexico.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Sunday, June 06, 2010 6:11 PM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
rbs9009 wrote:- Why you cant run the fog lights and high beams at the same time (I know theres a mod to get rid of this, but there shouldnt have to be)

Illegal... states like VA require that no more than 2 lights be on with high beams (excessive lighting law)... we have to fail people on inspection for this...

i believe other states have the same excessive lighting law, even without state inspections...

depends state to state. some states, they can only be on with low beams, some states its high beams. still, no reason for them to be on the same circuit/effected by one another.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:32 PM
bought my 97 Z because it was cheap, had a 4 cyl, had a 5 speed, and had decently low milage at the time. i originally had 0 plans on modifying it any. just to drive the piss out of it as a DD. but it grew on me REALLY fast. i found it easy to drive, great on gas, had plenty of power, etc. its been on many trips from jersey to boston, out to lehighton and allentown PA, and countless trips to upstate NY. i'm very comfortable in the car, even on quite long trips. i enjoy driving the car. i started modding it maybe 6 months after i got it, and now almost 5 years and 40k miles later i find myself un-willing to give it up, even after i killed the engine

that being said, its still a piece lol. when i bought the car the paint on the hood already had crows feet all over it, the clearcoat on the B pillar covers has been gone since 2006, the paint on the spoiler and the roof has started to get some crows feet as well (and i baby the living crap out of the paint), ive replaced 3 or 4 coil packs, 2 water necks (both of which are specific 2.4 issues), certain things are tight to work on, who can forget the dash crack, etc. stupid stuff like that bothers me, but thats really it. there isn't much else i dont like about the car.

Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:40 PM
people that complain about the little things on there single digit cars

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Im a level 32 joedm newb flamer.
Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:43 PM
My first car my parents got me was a 89 cavalier. That is all I have owned is J's.

What I hate most about J's. 75% of the owners.

FU Tuning

Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:56 PM
My only complaint... is the rear brakes,i mean if those drums even smell water they want to lock up.
Nothing more annoying to me than that. Cant wait to swap in the neon brakes i just bought a few days ago

Sunday, June 06, 2010 7:57 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

Eat my shift
Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:03 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:

depends state to state. some states, they can only be on with low beams, some states its high beams. still, no reason for them to be on the same circuit/effected by one another.
Well in the state of virginia, if the fog lights do not turn off with the high beams, it fails state inspection... this applies to all vehicles on the road... so i can't imagine any other car coming with the fogs off that sort of a circuit from the manufacturer...

Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:37 PM
The #3 rod bearing in the 2.4L
The crack in the dash
The rust on the bottom of the doors
The fact that 90% (yes I realize I'm exagerating...) of j-bodies have become worn down beaters and make the rest look bad...

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:49 PM
M2 [@DesertTuners.com wrote:]
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:

Supercharged 2002 Cavalier Z24
J-Body Bash Veteran
Sunday, June 06, 2010 10:49 PM
I love my 2005 Sunflower because I STILL think it is one of the best looking compact cars that was built! I know a lot of people are into the Jap cars or Euro rides, but to me, they all look bland and boring. Sure the Evo, STI, and a few others are halfway decent, but to me they are still just 4-door cars, and it is VERY hard in my eyes to make a sedan look aggressive and sporty. I just naturally prefer 2-door coupes, and always have. And honestly, its hard to find a 2-door compact car from ANY manufacturer nowadays that really interests me. Even the Cobalt SS, while I love the performance, is kind of bland looking.The last non-GM cars I can recall that did interest me were the last-gen Celica, last-gen Tiburon, and 3rd Gen Eclipse. They're all gone now too.

Also, I love the look of the interior of my Sunflower. The red back-lit gauges and radio always look good to me. The dash is a good design, and it flows a lot better with the round vents than the old triangle/oval vents. Everything is basic and easy to reach, I hate cluttered designs and layouts. Nothing bothers me more than a dash with 50 buttons and switches, making the car look like an airplane cockpit. Not to mention the 20 minutes you spend trying to turn on the radio or change the heater settings, both easily seen in almost any European car. As a side note, the Sunfire's don't have the dash crack problems that the Cavaliers do.

All of that being said, there are very few things that well and truly bother me even though I've had the car since new. Mainly it centers on the interior. I love the design, but we all know that GM built them cheap. My car had all the squeaks and rattles that you would expect, and even more with the solid engine and transmission mounts. I fixed all of them with some strategically placed felt tape and Velcro. Also, the seat foam is on the soft side and doesn't hold up as well as I would like. And I hate the light tan headliner in an otherwise charcoal colored interior, that will be fixed sometime down the road as well. The only other thing that well and truly bothers me about my car is that noone makes a set of HID projector headlights for it.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, June 06, 2010 11:06 PM
Ronin J wrote:
Red2.2cavi wrote: after a while i started to realize how much of a piece these cars really are. if its not one thing wrong with this car its another. i would say it may just be my car but everyone i know with a cav has the same issues..

Hmmm...my reliability experiences in the J world:

1999 Sunfire SE, 2200 3 speed auto...bought new traded in w 115,000 miles. Replaced the O2 sensor around 55,000 miles and the battery at about 40,000 miles.

2004 Cavalier LS Sport, ecotec 4 speed auto...bought new, now 130,000 miles and counting. Replaced the left front wheel bearing at 108,000 miles and 128,000 miles. right front bearing at 130,000 miles. The battery at the around 120,000 miles.

Now I will add that my Sunfire was much more solidly built that the Cavalier...but the Cav was assembled in Mexico.

i know i beat the @!#$ out of my car, thats just what i do, but a car should be able to handle it to at least some extent. trans blew at 150K. my 89 dodge spirit trans was still fine at 200,000. i bought the car with less than 130K. with a busted strut. little early dont ya think? they are a bitch to work on. so much cluttlered @!#$. i cant even do easy @!#$ without having to take this, that, that, that, this, and that out of the way. but the thing i hate the most is they are gutless pieces

z yaaaa wrote:other than the nasty hood dent, steelies, 4X4 ride heidt, crooked front license plate, body color b pillar covers, 2200, lack of tint, and overall boringness of the car id say she's perfect!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search