What do you hate about the Js? - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: What do you hate about the Js?
Monday, June 07, 2010 11:02 PM
I love my cavi. It does what i need it to do. Sure it could be fast, quieter, smoother and have more goodies. But for what it is (a cheap economy car) i love it. The only thing im not a fan of is prior to 2003, the Z24 had a different engine (2.2 vs 2.8/3.1 or 2.2 vs 2.3/2.4). After 03, the base and Z24/LSS had the same motor. It would have been nice to see GM put a supercharger on it (or a 3400 V6) and some other things for the Z24/LSS other than fog lights and bumpers...

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:13 PM
i love my drop top cav more and more everyday. . but a car isn't worth anything if you feel poorly about it.

Monday, June 07, 2010 11:37 PM
well mine is stripper model no abs, no traction control so the car drive a lot my buick does. I know its foolish to think that any automatic front driver from the factory would have a LSD. So the open diff in the front angers me some. I have had the blower for a few years now and the first thing i noticed was stock BFGs where like driving on ice when i brought the car home. The height of the suspension it kind of means unless your willing to lower the car and get 17s your not going to be able get rid of the rear drums and tiny front brakes. My Sunfire is 5 year old so its starting to get dings and scratches i hate that alot lol. Also the stock motor mounts i think are anoying
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 4:00 AM
Mine only has 440hp...

lol

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:33 AM
Speedline02 (GME Chat!!) wrote:
rbs9009 wrote:1. Continue running the Cavalier. This was probably a bad idea, because the foreign market was beating the piss out of them, as far as the econo-boxes went
2. Make a whole new compact entirely. This was what they should have done (in my opinion). Make more options at every level. Turn Honda and Toyotas plan against them. Make a compact sporty car that could rival Nissan's Sentra SE-R, Honda's Civic Si and Dodge's Neon SRT-4. ANYTHING that would make someone in that market consider GM.
3. The horrible truth: GM takes the same J body and Eco from the Cav, wraps it up with newish, modern plastic and call it a Cobalt.

Uhm... The cobalt is a delta body, not a j-body. the first delta was a saturn ion, released in 2000 (5 years before the end of the J run) and had the 2.2 twin cam in it (As we all know now as an "ecotec"

The j body had to end in 2005, there is no way it would pass the new side impact standards imposed in 2006.

I do agree with you... GM has lost their way.... a lot... this is why my next car will be a Hyundai... and not just because i work for em

The first "delta" in the United States was in 2003 model year Saturn Ion. Europe has been seeing the so called "delta" platform since 1991, and even then it was extention of the US J-body. Underneith both are very similar just "updated."
The first 2.2L DOHC L61 was here in 1999 as a 2000 model in the Saturn LS1-2.

Lastly, Hyundais have been competitive for the last 10 years, impressive for the last 3.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:53 AM
i stand corrected... i thought the ion came out in 2000... none the less 03 is still 2 years before the end of the J line...

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:07 AM
Cody Star wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:one thing i absolutely hate about my manual window z24 is the fact that gm placed the @!#$ crank RIGHT where your knee sits so its unbelievably annoying.

the fact that the trunk carpet NEVER stays behind the weatherstripping.

when the door latch freezes up and it wont latch without you totally messing with it for hours. and the POS driver side door hinges that let the door sag over time.

the @!#$ty stock stereo wiring. wont support an aftermarket deck for @!#$.

no 'shreader valve' on the LD9's fuel lines.

tan interior.

and lastly.....THE @!#$ SEAT BELTS!!!! I HATE THOSE NECK GRINDING SOB'S AND THE STUPID SEAT RETAINERS!!!!

lmao thats why i have 4 seat belt tickets with my cav

well you better knock that @!#$ off soon lol. they just raised seatbelt tickets to $175 fines.

back on topic... i hate that...

it's needed 2 motor rebuilds within a year
it's a throwaway, grocery-getter, econobox
it's not a 4x4

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:21 AM
not really anything on my end for the hate...

Since I got the thing in 03 I've went through about 6 o2 sensors, had a wiring f*ck up, blew an idler arm (2200), and I think thats about it. My 2200 engine was on 200 XXX km's and running perfectly fine before I swapped my eco in. Since the eco I've maybe changed one o2 sensor (the parts car needed one) and thats it.

Biggest wtf from the factory is no rear discs, and personally my fuel lid likes to get really deep in its recess which drives me nuts...

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:26 PM
Dave Z wrote:That being said, I wasn't a fan of the Js at first, but they do grow on you......

yeah...like mold.

My wife bought this car in '02 after we got married. Thinking to myself: "what do I care? I'm never going to drive it." two years later, i ended up with it...and it eventually grew on me.

The only thing I don't like is the cheap plastic the late models use. Eventually made my own windshield sill piece and recently, I took the lower dash out to reinforce it for a PC install. Everything else....meh...whatevs.

Friday, June 11, 2010 12:40 PM
Roofy wrote:. Nothing bothers me more than a dash with 50 buttons and switches, making the car look like an airplane cockpit.

Roofy..meet Misnblu

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:11 PM
Haha, it's al functional, and I need every gauge that is there.
So what's wrong with how it looks?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:19 PM
I kinda wish my cockpit..I mean interior looked like his!

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:08 PM
I've owned 5 third gen Cavaliers. 97 Convert, 98 coupe, 96 coupe, 04 coupe and my current 03 sedan. except for the 97 they were my second or third car.

they thing I dont like about them... I've always thought the location of the cupholders in the front were a bad place for them. I mean you have to keep moving your drink EVERY time you want to adjust the climate control system.
Friday, June 11, 2010 6:13 PM
Dave Z wrote:
rbs9009 wrote:
Mike wrote:So, You are saying, A cheap, mass-produced, economy, throw away car, gave you problems??????

My Cav was built on Friday.

*knocks on wood*

my current 03 sedan was made on a TUESDAY. on April FOOLS DAY! I looked up the vin number and it said it was built 4-1-2003.
Friday, June 11, 2010 11:06 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmm what do i hate about the js............................................ the motor doesnt have very many parts for it so i did this

build it to your likings not others.
Saturday, June 12, 2010 6:21 AM
^^^Is that an eclipse engine?

Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:13 AM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:^^^Is that an eclipse engine?
yes in deed

Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:19 AM
^^ someone doesn't know how to find parts... every J motor has plenty of aftermarket parts for it...

Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:32 PM
i had the 1997 2.2l ohv motor didnt want a 2.4l ive seen my friend blow them all up

Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:52 PM
your friend must not know what they are doing...

the quad motors can last a long time if properly maintained... (oil changes on cycle, and such)

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:19 PM
ha ha lol ya i know some of my friends are retards not changing the oil beating on the car like its a drag racer or jumping rail roads ha ha fun times tho

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:01 PM
Plenty of parts for J motors if you open your eyes and look.

I will be replacing my 2.4 with a 2.3. But that has nothing to do with aftermarket support. 2.3 probably has even less support than a 2.4.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:09 PM
the only things i could find were turbo kits cams 1 pulley forged internals not much else i was just looking for some thing different

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:25 PM
heres my mod list for my motor

Engine:

* HPTuned by Joe Rutledge of Tuning Concepts
* Powder Coated Kandy Red: Block - intake manifold - cam towers - timing chain housing - lower motor mount bracket - MDld9 alt pully
* Powder Coated Black With Prismatic Flake: Oil Pan - Timing Chain Cover
* -----------------
* BLOCK
* -----------------
* * .020 Overbore (between 10.5:1 - 11:1) Wiseco Forged Pistons
* * Wiseco Rings
* * Wiseco Wrist Pins (Rated up to 500 HP)
* * Eagle Forged Rods (Balanced)
* * Clevite 77 .25mm over Main Berrings
* * Clevite 77 .25mm over Rod Berrings
* * 2.3 Oil Pump Swap
* * Removed Balance Shafts
* * Miller Performance Modified Oil Pan
* * Lightened and Balanced GM Reground Crankshaft
* * Helicoil (to retrofit knock sensor)
* * OBX Precision Power Underdrive Crankshaft Pully
* * ARP Main Studs
* -----------------
* HEAD
* -----------------
* * Fully Ported and Polished
* * Decked .020 to raise compression
* * Car Customs 1mm Over-sized Stainless Valves
* * HO Springs
* * 2.3/2.4 Retainers (made for 2.3 springs & 2.4 valves)
* * HO Lifters
* * Crane Cams .430 lift 222 duration HO Intake Cam (modified by Miller Performance for the LD9)
* * Crane Cams .430 lift 222 duration HO Exhaust Cam
* * 2.4 Intake Cam Housing Modified by Miller Performance to accept the bigger lifters and the .430 lift cam
* * ARP Head Studs
* -----------------
* SPEC Stage 3 Six Puck Clutch
* SPEC Stage 3 Pressure Plate
* SPEC Stage 3 Throwout Bearing
* Cometic .030 Head Gasket GM Stock Head Gasket
* K&N Airfilter
* AC Delco RAPIDFIRE Spark Plugs
* XACT Performance Spark Plug Boots
* 2.3 HO Painted IDI Cover
* 2.3 HO Intake Manifold
* Fontana Phenolic Spacer OEM 2.3-2.4 Adaptive Phenolic Spacer
* 1995 LO 56mm Throttle-body (and i kept my cruise control)
* RK Sport Lower Dog-bone Motor Mount
* RK Sport Upper Motor Mount Insert Turbo Tech Racing Upper Motor Mount
* Car Customs Front and Rear Transmission Mounts
* MD-LD9 Light Weight Alternator Pully
* OBX Pacesetter Style Header About to be: Seibenick Racing Custom 2.4 Header --- Order has been placed, and product is being made now
* AEM Wideband O2 Sensor
* 2 1/4" pipe from header to cat
* Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converter
* Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic Oil (after 1000 miles)
* Pressure Washed Weekly (not a mod - but shows how clean it is)
* AEM Cold Air Intake (Modified)
* Optima Red Top Battery (relocated at an angle to let intake run straight down)

----
I dont think you looked hard enough

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:33 PM
im talking a about the 2.2l over head valve motor 8 valves....... slow not the 2.3l or 2.4 or eco

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search