Hitch and towing - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hitch and towing
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 5:54 PM
I plan to do quite a bit of camping, and some boating this summer. I have a 97 with the 2.2L and 3 speed. I know the 4 speed is rated for 1,000lb, and the only difference between them is the engine and transmission. I'm confident that the 2.2L can handle some mild towing. So, I plan to get a hitch for it. Question is, What about the wiring? Anyone hook up a a trailer wiring harness on their j-body? How hard is it? Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for towing with a cavalier?

Re: Hitch and towing
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:43 PM
Lol, Idk about a 2.2 3speed towing anything heavy. The most I would pull on mine is probably the bike on a trailer.

They just aren't that powerful in stock form

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:56 PM
Ummm buy a truck if you want to tow anything.

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 6:58 PM
Well, I kind of don't have the money for a truck. I like my cavalier just fine. The truth of it is, many small cars in the US not rated for towing ARE rated for towing in europe with little to no changes. I'm sure the 2.2L will tow just fine, it just won't be very fast. I don't plan on making it fast, I like it fine the way it is, a little more power maybe but I can survive without it. But does anyone have experience hooking up the wiring harness, or have a diagram for it?
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:06 PM
I'm sure there is one somewhere online, If not, Get a universal style harness, and wire it in accordingly

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:42 PM

The owners manual for my 1999 Sunfire SE (2.2L 3 speed) said:

DO NOT TOW ANYTHING WITH VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION.

It did not specify why, however I think I would agree its a bad idea. The engine lacks the power and the trans just isnt strong enough. Id say in a pinch you could probably tow a few hundred pounds (including trailer weight) a few miles at very low speed. Other than that Id just go with NO.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:53 PM
Ronin J wrote: DO NOT TOW ANYTHING WITH VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 3 SPEED TRANSMISSION.

I agree, It's bad enough with more than 2 people in one of those

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:03 AM
The main concern isn't the engine in this case, it is your transmission.

The 3 speed will destroy itself when used for towing.

Only the 4T40E was ever rated to do any towing.

The 2.2 can handle it, though it will be very slow going and I will feel bad for anyone behind you on a hill

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 7:53 AM
This 3 speed only has 15,000 miles on it, is it really THAT weak?
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:26 AM
Get a trans temp gauge if you're going to tow. Just to be sure.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:47 AM
Nick wrote:This 3 speed only has 15,000 miles on it, is it really THAT weak?
The 3T40/TH125 is actually very strong, it just has very LONG gears (only 3 of them after all). If you swapped in a 3.33 differential and added an external tranny cooler, I see no reason why you couldn't tow with it, but your freeway mileage would suck (and those diffs are few and far between).

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 8:49 AM
The 3 speed in my opinion would die pulling a boat...even the lightest you could find.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 10:42 AM
It does have a built in transmission cooler in the rad right? I'll look into picking up a temp sensor for it if I do it.
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:06 PM
It still doesn't make it a good idea...

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:43 PM
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but I've got an '03 w/ 5 speed. If this automatic is as questionable as everyone's saying, I wouldn't do it w/o a good secondary tranny cooler. The gauge is an absolute for temperature. Maybe a 4x6 trailer.... keep it under 3-400 lbs. and WATCH the tranny temp. If the tranny temp stays 180-190 degrees, you should be good. Use the radiator "cooler" as the first one and feed the auxiliary from it. You may have to slow down a bit, but tourists always do.
Thursday, June 10, 2010 10:40 AM
Nick wrote:This 3 speed only has 15,000 miles on it, is it really THAT weak?

Yes. I've seen one break because of it. If you don't plan to keep the car, then go ahread. I just wouldn't though.

The 4 speeds can take the abuse, not really much more though.........

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:28 PM
Let me know when you break the trans, I need an extra 2.2

Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:27 PM
i could see trying to pull a very small jon boat, without a motor (small trolling motor MAX) and on a very light trailer, but otherwise it's a completely horrible idea.

Check out my build thread!

Monday, June 14, 2010 7:50 PM
I can't see it towing a lawn mower....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search