towing - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
towing
Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:50 PM
I've got a 98 2200 and was wondering about towing. I want to tow a uhaul 4x8 trailer for moving about 500 miles. Do u think I can do it going over a pass or? More about car 5 speed manual 2.2 engine. I no that the manual says its not recommened all I really worry about is the clutch. It stock. Ty

Re: towing
Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:56 PM
an empty 4x8 trailer would give you trouble. load it up, and i doubt the car would move.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, June 26, 2010 4:41 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:an empty 4x8 trailer would give you trouble. load it up, and i doubt the car would move.

I bet it will move. All the trailer will have in it is clothes and some small toys. No furnature ty
Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:31 PM
why would you ask for advice, and when you get some decent advice, completely discount it and say he's wrong? do you understand the ln2 engine literally has no power? aside from that, you better be damn sure you can stop safely so you're not putting other people's lives at stake.

as far as i remember, gm advised not to tow with the ln2. the ld9 has a towing capacity of 1000 pounds. guage off that, i guess.

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:46 PM
NO.

A tricyle towed will be a trans killer.....

Saturday, June 26, 2010 8:51 PM
RuggedZ wrote:why would you ask for advice, and when you get some decent advice, completely discount it and say he's wrong? do you understand the ln2 engine literally has no power? aside from that, you better be damn sure you can stop safely so you're not putting other people's lives at stake.

as far as i remember, gm advised not to tow with the ln2. the ld9 has a towing capacity of 1000 pounds. guage off that, i guess.

A little touchy are we. Yah I did a little more resurch and found the same info. Ty ill stick witbh the 10ft uhaul ty. /endthread
Sunday, June 27, 2010 12:29 AM
My old neighbor used to pull a 14ft boat with a ln2 3 speed cavalier.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:40 AM
I had a pic here somewhere of a LS Sport pulling a boat bigger then the car, on the freeway.......... lol

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:07 PM
Reminds me of this...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:08 PM

Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:30 PM
From someone that has first-hand experience towing with a 5 spd LN2 (including the aforementioned 4x8 uhaul), yes, your car will handle it, even on stock brakes. Do not ride the clutch and give yourself plenty of stopping distance.

Considering that you are only loading clothes and toys in there, as long as the weight stays down as much as possible (the uhaul 4x8's are heavy trailers anyway... 500-750 unloaded), it would be similar to having 4 full size adults in the car.

You might be better off seeing if you know someone that has one of those Harbor Freight or Red Trailer light duty 4x6 or 4x8 utility flatbeds. They are ~200 lbs unloaded, without sides and can handle up to 1k GVW.

Monday, June 28, 2010 9:37 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been asked before... I wouldn't tow anything with these cars, but if you are serious about it, knock yourself out. Definitely take Kardain's advice, and If I were you, I would stop a few times on that 500m trip and give the tranny time to cool down.

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:18 PM
i towed my pwc with my auto ld9.

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:41 PM
EcoCav [@DesertTuners.com wrote:]Reminds me of this...

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:41 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:
EcoCav [@DesertTuners.com wrote:]Reminds me of this...

Ha this made my day... i was literally lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search