EVAP system removal? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
EVAP system removal?
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 4:41 AM
ok in the interest of saving weight i would like to ditch the entire EVAP system on my 97 z24... few things id like help to try and understand as i have never really looked into much about it. all i know is its weight and clutter id rather get the F rid of. it would get rid of some another sensor under the hood as well as another vacuum line.

so does the EVAP system essentially alleviates the fumes from the gas tank?

is it ok to remove with any adverse side effects? (i have no emissions testing here in iowa)

will i need to rig up some sort of vent for the tank so it doesnt explode? LOL

what all does the system entail? i know that there is the canister up in the front end and lines that run to the tank, are they aluminum or plastic lines?

thanks guys.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted

Re: EVAP system removal?
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 5:10 AM
y in the general forum out of curiosity?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:49 AM
You could save more weight by taking a giant dump.

2.2 97 Cavalier......the "Crapalier"
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 7:16 AM
You cold remove all the EGR stuff. Use a block off plate, and a 99-02 header, and then delete / turn off the codes with HPTuners....

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:12 PM
blucavvy wrote:y in the general forum out of curiosity?

where was i supposed to put it? the weight reduction forum?

and for the record everything is gone already, air bags, EGR, AC, etc. i just want even more crap gone. not necessarily for just weight reduction but for vehicle simplicity as well.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Wednesday, September 01, 2010 3:19 PM
lol, simma downa. i was just curious. i guess i just figured maybe performance.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:44 PM
ok.. according to fetter you just need to run a line from the tank (the original feed line to the EVAP works) somewhere with a filter on it.

bad ass. out goes that POS

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Thursday, September 02, 2010 2:13 PM
write up maybe? is the evap the same system on all 3rd gen j's?

Thursday, September 02, 2010 3:48 PM
blucavvy wrote:write up maybe? is the evap the same system on all 3rd gen j's?
Was relocated from the front fender to the gas tank area in '00.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, September 02, 2010 6:44 PM
yes... doing this would be WAYYYYYY easier on an 00+ car.

i started ripping it out today, the canister is fairly easy to remove but the lines on top are giving me trouble, my fuel line dis-connect tools are too tall. ill prolly end up just cutting the bastards, hehe

Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:47 AM
More on this?
You got me thinking Brad and it would behoove me to ask for some pictures of the filter and setup you're going with for this.
Also, any kind of idea on what kind of weight we're saving here?
Last, what kind of P code is going to come of all this too? Since there's a MAP sensor on the tank for this how would this have an effect on the map as well as getting a cel code?
Thanks Brad.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:25 PM
honestly, i have no idea the ill-effects this does, if even if any. all i know is paul deleted it on his and well, you've seen the vids... LOL (his cluster does look like a christmas tree though )

weight savings....??? honestly, not much... maybe 5 pounds for everything. i did it mostly for the wire cleanup, the evap sensor/wiring under the hood is a nightmare to deal with down on the ac compressor so i said F it, im done with it. much like i did with the EGR. if its not needed for the engine to run its GONE. (on this project anyway).

Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:26 PM
Itll throw a code for improper EVAP function or something like that. As far as Im aware the EVAP system not functioning has no ill effects on the car as long as the tank is properly vented.

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:42 PM
yep, and im sure the code can be turned off via HPT. hopefully anyway...

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:48 PM
I got rid of my EVAP crap as well, left the line from the tank though, I didnt know you need filter on it though. What happens if the line is just open? I broke the line off up by the engine bay lol.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, September 13, 2010 4:56 PM
The filter probably isnt 100% necessary. Probably just to keep something from getting into the line and clogging it.

Monday, September 13, 2010 5:12 PM
Cool, ill see what I can find to put over it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, September 13, 2010 5:47 PM
cut it off at the tank, less weight.

Monday, October 25, 2010 7:13 PM
brad did you end up taking any pictures on this or am i going to have to stop being lazy and dig out the haynes manual?

btw links to egr removal?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, October 25, 2010 7:13 PM

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:38 PM
bumpity.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:42 PM
um i dont recall taking any pics unfortunately

its not really that big of a deal, its more of a job on a 95-99 i think though...

Underdog Racing

Thursday, October 28, 2010 7:19 PM
k, i'm going to be doing some reading up on the removal of that and the egr in the haynes and everything i can find on here. did you just leave the line open at the tank or find a certain type of filter to put on?

Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:28 AM
brad, do you have more on the egr delete? i'm getting rid of the evap tonight and couldn't find any reason not to. but in my haynes manual deleting the egr doesn't sound like that great of a deal. it says that too little egr flow combustion temps can become too high during acceleration/under load which can cause spark knock (detonation) and or engine overheating..........

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:10 AM
The egr can be deleted through hptuners so you don't get any kind of cel from the PCM.
Removal is easy with the egr plate on the head but you'll have to either close up the intake manifold hole where the tubing came in from the head of the egr or get an intake manifold from the junkyard on a non-egr 2.4.

If you don't have hptuners to delete the cel, you can still delete it by using the block off plate on the head, closing up the intake manifold hole, and just let the egr sit in the engine bay still plugged up doing it's thing.
The PCM won't know that it's not functioning since there's no way to tell air flow through the egr so that should fool the PCM into thinking the egr is still working.

Also, I've had no issues with any knock or combustion temps being too high since the delete.
All I've done is delete any cel with hptuners but nothing more. So far so good and no issues with anything associated with the egr delete.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:14 AM
thanks james! except that most of that info is ld9 specific lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search