EVAP system removal? - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: EVAP system removal?
Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:22 AM
Doh...

You have Eco then?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:29 AM
yessir.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:32 AM
I'd still eliminate it.
I would've figured that by now the EGR system would be obsolete.
So nobody has done the egr delete on their Eco based cars yet? What's the matter with people?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:37 AM
i don't know that no one has, i'm just saying i'd like to without having detonation lol. so if anyone has any info on deleting it in an eco it would be much appreciated.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:42 AM
Excuse my ignorance on the detonation issue but how did we come about that if the egr is removed on the Eco engines that detonation will occur?
If somebody has stated this than surely someones done the delete mod and knows for a fact that cylinder temps would rise with the deletion.
It's nothing more than an emissions device to recirculate exhaust gasses for further burning which if anything would have a detriment to the combustion process providing less power.
And before I insert my foot into my mouth again, I'll stop with that, and maybe get some answers to your question.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:48 AM
it's just something that caught my eye in the ole' haynes manual, apparently the recirculated exhaust gases act as a sort of cooling process for the combustion chambers. it states "if there is too little egr flow, combustion camber temperature can become too high during acceleration or under a heavy load, which can cause spark knock (detonation) and/or engine overheating. "

so, i was just worried that if i removed my egr system completely chances are that's going to fall under the "too little egr flow" category and could result in detonation. something i'm just not interested in lolz.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:52 AM
wow i think i'm slightly retarted. i don't think the 03+ models came with egr.........

Saturday, October 30, 2010 10:06 AM
so back on topic with the evap system, is it just simply removing the canister behind the fuel tank, the vent solenoid valve assembly right next to the canister, and the purge solenoid in the bay and all the accompanying lines that go with it?

Monday, November 01, 2010 5:23 PM
^^ yep. my canister was up front in the passenger side fender well. i had a box of some sort bracketed to the inside of the fender and a line that went to the solenoid thingy on the ac compressor. and a line that followed the passenger side brake line on the rack over to the driver side, i just clipped it off right there where the body bends under. ill remove the whole line back to the tank eventually, this was just to get the engine bay ready for paint.

and lol i was going to ask if the eco cars even had an egr

Underdog Racing
Monday, November 01, 2010 8:36 PM
lolz, yeah kinda a derr moment on the egr.

took out the evap canister, and both solenoids, cut the line off in the bay, and disconnected it where it connected to the canister. i'll leave the line under the body. @!#$ it. and yeah weight savings was very minimal, and i have no idea what kind of code it throws as the car was already throwing an evap 440 code for awhile now so i didn't really care to begin with. but like you said, takes another solonoid and vacuum line out of the engine bay so i'm happy.

Tuesday, November 02, 2010 7:20 PM
there ya go!

Underdog Racing

Saturday, November 06, 2010 1:48 AM
wire cutters and an axe might do the trick.

Proud owner: 2002 Cavalier Sedan 2200SFI LN2 4-speed auto.Slowest compact car, only designed for school and groceries.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 1:48 AM
bump

Proud owner: 2002 Cavalier Sedan 2200SFI LN2 4-speed auto.Slowest compact car, only designed for school and groceries.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:35 AM
wtf are you bumping?

Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:12 AM
blucavvy wrote:wtf are you bumping?

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:11 AM
z yaaaa wrote:will i need to rig up some sort of vent for the tank so it doesnt explode? LOL

drill a hole in ur gas cap.

~1996 Cavalier LS 2.4L (auto)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search