Checking Mileage - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Checking Mileage
Monday, January 10, 2011 4:09 PM
Is there any other way to prove mileage on a 97' Cavalier, other than the stock odometer?
I am asking this because my girlfriend bought a 97' Cavalier, with 79,000 miles on it, and it sure as hell acts like it has well over 150,000. (nothing but problems, lemon car.) I am possibly thinking that the speedo cluster was swapped out at somepoint, because it is the old roller style odometer.
Thanks.

Re: Checking Mileage
Monday, January 10, 2011 4:16 PM
Umm, I could be wrong, but if you do a car fax it will tell you when stuff was done like renewing plates and such, and they sometimes tell mileage. Other then that, there really isnt any way of telling. I know when you retitle a car (at least here in Illinois anyways) they ask for the mileage so you may want to check with the DMV and see if they can shed some light on it. Goodluck!!!

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:25 PM
I didn't know if the 97's models stored mileage in the BCM and it could be pulled from there like the newer models

Monday, January 10, 2011 4:27 PM
or the car could just be a POS to begin with

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, January 10, 2011 6:13 PM
IIRC only the 00 and up have stored mileage due to the mechanical ODO meters that are in the 00 and up. And the 99 IIRC have them stored in the BCM also. but since its mechanical there is no sure way of finding out.

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:52 PM
Alright, just wondering.

Thing is a damn lemon car.

Monday, January 10, 2011 7:41 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:IIRC only the 00 and up have stored mileage due to the mechanical ODO meters that are in the 00 and up. And the 99 IIRC have them stored in the BCM also. but since its mechanical there is no sure way of finding out.

99's (and some 98's) have digital odometers but the mileage is stored in the cluster.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Monday, January 10, 2011 8:06 PM
BoltZ DesignZ wrote:
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:IIRC only the 00 and up have stored mileage due to the mechanical ODO meters that are in the 00 and up. And the 99 IIRC have them stored in the BCM also. but since its mechanical there is no sure way of finding out.

99's (and some 98's) have digital odometers but the mileage is stored in the cluster.

Ahh ok, thats what I was thinking just wasnt sure. I knew the 99's had a digital ODO but I didnt know where it was stored. Thanks for clearing that up

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search