Just a question about gasoline grades - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Just a question about gasoline grades
Friday, April 08, 2011 6:09 AM
meckster wrote:
NfamousGMT360 wrote:
u kiddin wrote:well i use 89. i have put a tank of all 3 grades in and i found 91 and 89 give me about the same mileage so why pay more for the same mileage as 89. that is the best way of determining which grade your engine should use,

I tested a couple of tanks of gas with each grade, I found that 89 got me the best milage in my old Z24 and now with the Envoy I currently have, Now my wifes G3 is just fine with the low grade.

thats what always makes me crack up... yeah you say you get better mileage with 89, but your also paying more. So unless your getting 5+ better mpg, your wasting your money

no i get about considerable better mileage with 89 havn't done the math but i would guess around 10-15% more km per tank

Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:01 PM
someone mentioned this in an earlier post, but you only need ABOVE 87 (unless your manual recommends) if you have a high compression engine. or you have turbo or supercharger. if your engine doesnt have the compression(and hot ignition) to fully burn the higher octane fuel it will definately harm your engine. whether or not you can get an extra 2 miles to the gallon, or think you get 5hp, shouldnt matter. redlines and some of the cobalts and some other compact cars NEED higher octane because the engines are stock built "hotter". maybe i'm a little old fashioned. anyone?
Monday, April 25, 2011 4:48 AM
Brett Myers wrote:someone mentioned this in an earlier post, but you only need ABOVE 87 (unless your manual recommends) if you have a high compression engine. or you have turbo or supercharger. if your engine doesnt have the compression(and hot ignition) to fully burn the higher octane fuel it will definately harm your engine. whether or not you can get an extra 2 miles to the gallon, or think you get 5hp, shouldnt matter. redlines and some of the cobalts and some other compact cars NEED higher octane because the engines are stock built "hotter". maybe i'm a little old fashioned. anyone?

WTF are you talking about?
Hurt the engine if you run premium? You better tell that to all three of my vehicles which are rater for 87 octane but I put in premium instead.

So going from 87 to 93 on my daily driver and a little knowledgeable tuning of the car could take that 87 octane that it used to sip from 35 mpg to using the premium and getting 42 mpg consistently? How is that ruining my engine?

Geez people maybe you should learn the basics first before you post something that you really don't know what you're talking about.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:08 AM
Yep, our cars can not safely run on Premium. ~Sarcasm~
This is a stock 99 Manual Z file.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 25, 2011 5:10 AM
Attachments
Octane.jpg (326k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, April 25, 2011 6:24 AM
meckster wrote:

WIN! lmao
Monday, April 25, 2011 8:02 AM
The only thing "harmed" by using premium instead of regular on a stock car, is your bank account balance.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:50 PM
yah u kinda put me in my place there MD (hope u showed yer buddies and they all laughed at me ... not sure what i was thinking at that moment. maybe i was thinking of the opposite scenario of preignition? but it still doesnt make sense to spend $500 on a program to get a few more mpg and then have to pay out the ass for premium fuel. not here to argue. just want to learn fellas!
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:03 PM
The tables above are from a stock tune. My point was Premium will not harm your engine. It also, isn't helping. PJ and Jeffie tested a stock tune with different grades of gas, and 89 Octane was the best bang for your buck on a stock tune.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:09 PM
Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:54 PM
thanks fella!!!!! actually ive been putting in the 89 when its the same price as 87. does seem happier!!!
Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:03 PM
i fount that my cars gas mileage was dropping, so i usually run some plus (89 typically) and found that the mileage went back to where it was when i first got her. so 89 is it...

Friday, May 20, 2011 6:17 AM
Nice thread .......... select as sticky
Friday, May 20, 2011 6:33 AM
I always put 87 in my cavalier, never even tried anything different, but in my Mustang it's night and day performance and gas mileage wise. I still put 87 in it most of the time, but you can defiantly feel the difference.
Friday, May 20, 2011 6:34 AM
I did once put 85 in my z24 and it knocked like crazy
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search