which jbody should I buy - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which jbody should I buy
Monday, July 18, 2011 10:48 PM
ok so I'm looking to buy a newer cavalier but I'm not sure if I want the ecotec. I know the obvious answer is get the ecotec but and my only reason for questioning it is because I'm almost certain they are harder to work on than a ohv. Ive never messed with an ecotec so what do you guys think on a reliablity and ease to work on and cost to work on? I'm looking at an 03 with an eco but not.sure give me your input thanks guys

Re: which jbody should I buy
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:03 PM
The OHV gets a lot of crap on here, but it is a reliable engine. The worst I've ever had with mine is a CEL caused by a gas cap not being properly tightened. It's 11 years old and has only seen preventative maintenance(ie: no mods)
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:32 PM
Yes the OHV is a very reliable engine.. But so is the Eco both mine are nearing 100k miles and show no signs of age and I've beat on them hard. Track days, long road trips putting off oil changes for 1k miles (or more) the Eco is a very forgiving engine. If it's in your budget and the car looks solid I say go for it. As far as working on them is concerned i would much rather work on the Eco or any DOHC for the matter.
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:36 PM
yea I like mine I was going to give my.current cavalier to my fiance and buy a new one for college lots if miles but not sure if I'm into having to tear a bunch of crap down to change a water pump. I like the simplicity of the ohv buy the idea of a nice shinny newer car does s the sound nice but I think after 02 the eco is all you can buy.
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:38 PM
why would you rather work on a dohc? just curious
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:40 PM
I dislike working on pushrod motors. Personal preference
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:58 PM
hmmmmm I can't say because most my experience is with ohv who knows I may prefer dohc lol.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:05 AM
The ecotec is a good motor. Very dependable. It is really not hard to work on at all. I would say the oil filter replacement is the most retarded and hardest thing to do. (I like the old school filter better.) The OHV 1998+ is also dependable and has the old school oil filter. lol. Both of those motors are TONS easier to work on than the 2.3/2.4 motors...In my opinion anyways.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:21 AM
what are some common problems with the ecotec?
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:34 PM
Depends on the year the 02 Eco had oiling issues for the timing chain but GM put out a bulletin for that and fixed the issue for the following years. Also probably isn't going to be an issue for you but under boost the ring lands on a stock L61 tend to give out. And lastly as far as i know the thermostat there common to go at around 60k and can be a bit of a pain to fix especially on the auto.. That's pretty much all I know of if any one else wants to chime in.
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:31 PM
why is the thermostat hard to change? is the ecotec better than the ohv in your opinion?

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:41 PM
Mostly due to location can be awkward and a little tight on space. In my opinion yes it is by far better then the OHV
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:48 PM
Just buy mine

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:51 PM
^^^ DO IT!
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:55 PM
hahaha looked like it want even close to stock. lol
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:01 PM
I love my eco. I got mine with ~45k miles on it and it now has 92k miles on it. The last ~3 years(~25k miles) have been boosted and it takes all the abuse i can toss at it.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 10:02 PM
Quick thread jack----

arrival_04 : if your car is in fact for sale feel free to shoot me a PM...
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:26 PM
I got my first 2200 a couple months ago and had to do a water pump right off the bat. If I wasn't trying to cut corners and got caught in the dark, I could have had it done in a couple hours (it was my first one). The Ecotec, on the other hand... I just had to do the starter and alternator on it, and I ended up having to remove the intake manifold just to have some breathing room. I'd say the 2200 is easier to work on, but the Ecotec is a lot more fun.. 'specially when boost is involved

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:07 PM
My ole Ohv definatly gets me from point A to B and a little fun in between...BUT the lack of power is always there and the eco is flexible as far as mods...id vote eco even though i have no expeirience with the eco
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:36 AM
GREEKROCKSTAR wrote:Quick thread jack----

arrival_04 : if your car is in fact for sale feel free to shoot me a PM...

his car is still up for sale as is mine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:01 PM
The eco is by far the more powerful engine, and it responds a lot better to mods, but the good ole ohv has been around long enough that most every problem they could have has been heard of and fixed by now. And they are stupid simple to work on. I pulled a junkyard head with a couple sockets and a penny.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search