$2500 in Damage..Help - Page 2 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: $2500 in Damage..Help
Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:52 PM
its funny that you still refer to him as a "friend"

Saturday, August 06, 2011 8:46 PM
if the person can own up to being a tard, then while they may not be a great friend, they can still be a friend. Just keep your nice things away from them.
Monday, August 08, 2011 11:51 AM
Overall I have to say I'm extremely pleased. For a much cheaper estimate the car came out very nicely, even my extremely skeptical step father (fabricates and races stock cars, so he has a good knowledge of all this stuff) was happy with the job. I'd say this situation couldn't have ended any better. We are still good friends and have gotten passed this mess and everything's back to normal. He stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for what he did and everything's back to normal. Here's some before and after pics as per request:

Before - Scene of the Crime

After

Monday, August 08, 2011 12:09 PM
holy eff he did some work on that car

looks much better

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 9:40 PM
yep, glad it got resolved... but I liked my other solution better still. lol

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 11:52 PM
Nice

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:19 AM
@!#$ his mother

Monday, August 22, 2011 12:18 AM
Wow, they did a good job fixing that mess. Congrats man, but I'd still be sketchy on this guy. Sounds like he needs to lay off the alcohol..

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:55 PM
If there's one thing I've learned, when you're having an altercation with a friend, call them or go talk face to face. Never txt or email. It will never end well unless they can hear the tone of your voice.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:33 AM
I think you should have kept the $2500 and left the dent...

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:35 PM
Zaairman wrote:I think you should have kept the $2500 and left the dent...

He didn't give me the money until after the repairs were complete. And besides the fact, I wanted my car to look as clean as it did before this whole thing. That was the one thing everyone always told me about my car; that it's in great shape inside and out.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 5:10 PM
I bet a PDR guy could have gotten 90% of that dent out for $150. Then, with the leftover money, you could have bought another Cavalier in similar shape to yours.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:27 PM
Alcolawl wrote:Ok guys I'm really stuck on this one and need some help, because I'm in a terrible position right now.

Long story short, a good friend of mine a few days ago freaked out and punched the living @!#$ out of my car, moved it into the street, poured beer all over it and drew penises on the windshield. I, of course, was fuming at the sight of this and wanted to kill him after assuming he did it. No one who stayed the night at his house wanted to fess up to who did it, so I went to the State Police. The State Police sorted things out in a matter of hours and my friend admitted to doing it. He immediately afterwards texted me saying he'd pay for the damages and felt extremely bad about it because he knows I love my Cavalier.

Here's the problem: It's been estimated by two shops at around $2500.... Now I'm pissed at this kid, I've never been so angry in my entire life, and yet, I'm not a heartless person. $2500 is a crazy amount of money, but the damage just can't be ignored. Every time I look at my car, instead of smiling and being happy that I bought it, I immediately look at the dent and become disappointed and depressed. I avoided to break the news to him for at least a day because I was afraid of what he would say, and after texting him the estimate amounts today, his reaction is exactly what I thought it would be.. Disbelief and outrage. He then proceeded to text me about the value of our friendship and that he can't believe I'm making him pay for this, as it's basically all he has to his name. This puts me in a terrible spot. I do value this friendship but it hasn't always been a smooth ride, last year he basically ruined my summer because of a girl and I slipped into depression for a few weeks. We've gotten past that but since then, it's always been kinda awkward. So now he's guilt tripping me into just leaving the damage how it is. That's really not what I wanted to hear from him.

I'm not sure what to do here to be honest. I don't wanna ruin his life by taking all of his money, but I want the damages fixed and I'm sure as hell not paying even 1 cent of that. Bottom line is, he shouldn't have done this to my car, and even though he might have been a little drunk, he still has to take responsibility for his actions. He's done so over the phone, and even the State Trooper said he sounded pretty sincere, but I don't think he though it'd cost that much. And Frankly, neither did I. I don't wanna lose a friend, but I love my car, and this damage lowers the value considerably and looks terrible. The only thing I can think of is that he borrows money from his parents. MY grandma offered to lend money towards the cause and then my friend could pay it back overtime, but he's going back to school at the end of the month and wont have a job.

What should I do guys, I need some serious help here. Is there anyway that he can pay the damages back with some kinda payment plan? I'm not sure what else can be done. Something must be possible to get my car back to new and at the same time make sure that this kid doesn't kill himself after handing away his life savings.

I for one give you props. Why? Because if ANYONE did that to my car, I would be in jail. I protect my baby and if it's not yours, dont touch it unless I tell you to. Break that rule and your jaw gets broke. You have amazing self control if you can avoid beating the living daylights out of this dude. I would definitely make him pay for it. A true friend wont do that to you and would pay regardless if it is all he has. I dont wanna hear "It was the alcohols fault" because if you are that drunk, its time for you to never drink again. Either get your money or take him to court. I understand you are sympathetic as am I, but I do have a very short fuse that can be lit really quick lol. However, there is a fine line and this guy has done more than crossed it. This guy has crossed the equator in my opinion. Thats the best advice I can give you. Cheers.
Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:35 PM
Terence Dangerfield wrote:
Alcolawl wrote:Ok guys I'm really stuck on this one and need some help, because I'm in a terrible position right now.

Long story short, a good friend of mine a few days ago freaked out and punched the living @!#$ out of my car, moved it into the street, poured beer all over it and drew penises on the windshield. I, of course, was fuming at the sight of this and wanted to kill him after assuming he did it. No one who stayed the night at his house wanted to fess up to who did it, so I went to the State Police. The State Police sorted things out in a matter of hours and my friend admitted to doing it. He immediately afterwards texted me saying he'd pay for the damages and felt extremely bad about it because he knows I love my Cavalier.

Here's the problem: It's been estimated by two shops at around $2500.... Now I'm pissed at this kid, I've never been so angry in my entire life, and yet, I'm not a heartless person. $2500 is a crazy amount of money, but the damage just can't be ignored. Every time I look at my car, instead of smiling and being happy that I bought it, I immediately look at the dent and become disappointed and depressed. I avoided to break the news to him for at least a day because I was afraid of what he would say, and after texting him the estimate amounts today, his reaction is exactly what I thought it would be.. Disbelief and outrage. He then proceeded to text me about the value of our friendship and that he can't believe I'm making him pay for this, as it's basically all he has to his name. This puts me in a terrible spot. I do value this friendship but it hasn't always been a smooth ride, last year he basically ruined my summer because of a girl and I slipped into depression for a few weeks. We've gotten past that but since then, it's always been kinda awkward. So now he's guilt tripping me into just leaving the damage how it is. That's really not what I wanted to hear from him.

I'm not sure what to do here to be honest. I don't wanna ruin his life by taking all of his money, but I want the damages fixed and I'm sure as hell not paying even 1 cent of that. Bottom line is, he shouldn't have done this to my car, and even though he might have been a little drunk, he still has to take responsibility for his actions. He's done so over the phone, and even the State Trooper said he sounded pretty sincere, but I don't think he though it'd cost that much. And Frankly, neither did I. I don't wanna lose a friend, but I love my car, and this damage lowers the value considerably and looks terrible. The only thing I can think of is that he borrows money from his parents. MY grandma offered to lend money towards the cause and then my friend could pay it back overtime, but he's going back to school at the end of the month and wont have a job.

What should I do guys, I need some serious help here. Is there anyway that he can pay the damages back with some kinda payment plan? I'm not sure what else can be done. Something must be possible to get my car back to new and at the same time make sure that this kid doesn't kill himself after handing away his life savings.

I for one give you props. Why? Because if ANYONE did that to my car, I would be in jail. I protect my baby and if it's not yours, dont touch it unless I tell you to. Break that rule and your jaw gets broke. You have amazing self control if you can avoid beating the living daylights out of this dude. I would definitely make him pay for it. A true friend wont do that to you and would pay regardless if it is all he has. I dont wanna hear "It was the alcohols fault" because if you are that drunk, its time for you to never drink again. Either get your money or take him to court. I understand you are sympathetic as am I, but I do have a very short fuse that can be lit really quick lol. However, there is a fine line and this guy has done more than crossed it. This guy has crossed the equator in my opinion. Thats the best advice I can give you. Cheers.
Please disregard that post. I saw the first post and failed to keep reading lol. FAIL on my behalf. This scenario just made me a bit miffed and so I jumped to responding haha. Forgive me. Glad everything worked out and that you two could retain your friendship. Cheers.
Sunday, September 11, 2011 5:59 PM
That "friend" sounds like a psychotic douche bag... i never had any friends scratch my 02 cavalier, my current cavalier is scratched and dented all to hell... but my jeep, my currently only street legal vehicle, while we were working with some metal in the driveway he accidentally hit the side of it with a piece of angle iron, small dent and a scrape, he started nearly freaking out and apologizing. All i had to say was "dude, relax... take note that there's not a straight panel on this thing, and not a square inch of flawless paint", i wheel my jeep, a lot of scratches, a lot of dents.

Glad to see you got it fixed, just keep your @!#$ away from that guy.

96 2.2L, #66 on the dirt track
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search