$2500 in Damage..Help - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
$2500 in Damage..Help
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:54 PM
Ok guys I'm really stuck on this one and need some help, because I'm in a terrible position right now.

Long story short, a good friend of mine a few days ago freaked out and punched the living @!#$ out of my car, moved it into the street, poured beer all over it and drew penises on the windshield. I, of course, was fuming at the sight of this and wanted to kill him after assuming he did it. No one who stayed the night at his house wanted to fess up to who did it, so I went to the State Police. The State Police sorted things out in a matter of hours and my friend admitted to doing it. He immediately afterwards texted me saying he'd pay for the damages and felt extremely bad about it because he knows I love my Cavalier.

Here's the problem: It's been estimated by two shops at around $2500.... Now I'm pissed at this kid, I've never been so angry in my entire life, and yet, I'm not a heartless person. $2500 is a crazy amount of money, but the damage just can't be ignored. Every time I look at my car, instead of smiling and being happy that I bought it, I immediately look at the dent and become disappointed and depressed. I avoided to break the news to him for at least a day because I was afraid of what he would say, and after texting him the estimate amounts today, his reaction is exactly what I thought it would be.. Disbelief and outrage. He then proceeded to text me about the value of our friendship and that he can't believe I'm making him pay for this, as it's basically all he has to his name. This puts me in a terrible spot. I do value this friendship but it hasn't always been a smooth ride, last year he basically ruined my summer because of a girl and I slipped into depression for a few weeks. We've gotten past that but since then, it's always been kinda awkward. So now he's guilt tripping me into just leaving the damage how it is. That's really not what I wanted to hear from him.

I'm not sure what to do here to be honest. I don't wanna ruin his life by taking all of his money, but I want the damages fixed and I'm sure as hell not paying even 1 cent of that. Bottom line is, he shouldn't have done this to my car, and even though he might have been a little drunk, he still has to take responsibility for his actions. He's done so over the phone, and even the State Trooper said he sounded pretty sincere, but I don't think he though it'd cost that much. And Frankly, neither did I. I don't wanna lose a friend, but I love my car, and this damage lowers the value considerably and looks terrible. The only thing I can think of is that he borrows money from his parents. MY grandma offered to lend money towards the cause and then my friend could pay it back overtime, but he's going back to school at the end of the month and wont have a job.

What should I do guys, I need some serious help here. Is there anyway that he can pay the damages back with some kinda payment plan? I'm not sure what else can be done. Something must be possible to get my car back to new and at the same time make sure that this kid doesn't kill himself after handing away his life savings.

Re: $2500 in Damage..Help
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:02 PM
Sounds like he's a complete tool.

Make him pay for all damages, if not sue the living piss out of him

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:08 PM
SLOCAV wrote:Sounds like he's a complete tool.

Make him pay for all damages, if not sue the living piss out of him

yep. no friend does that kinda @!#$ to someone's car.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:10 PM
and one thing to always keep in mind, i'm still young, but I've learned this.
Friends come and go. You might lose a friend, but you will always gain a friend back somewhere else...and well quite obviously, he isn't a friend.
If he isn't willing to pay, I'd take it to court.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:30 PM
string his ass out to dry. if he doesnt pay take legal action.

does he have any assets? if so you can most likely place liens on those items.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:48 PM
I agree with all the posts above, he did it he needs to be a man and pay for it...its just money it can be earned again...im sure you worked very hard to pay for ur car and keep it up....
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:58 PM
no friend would do that to your car, he needs to be a man and pay for the damages

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:53 PM
Yep, +1 to that account. I had a "friend" break a piece of my hockey gear because he was being an asshat. I didn't get the police involved, but we did end up settling it the great canadian way which ended with us both bloodied and battered.(My apologies to both hockey fans and Canadians) Needless to say, friends don't do that kind of stuff to any kind of valuables.(It was a brand new 200 dollar stick too!) and because it had been abused(and thus, voiding the 30 day warranty), I made the stupid @#$^ pay for a new one.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:16 PM
My once "friend" keyed my cav...

He is no longer my friend, however I had him sign a notarized document stating he is taking responsibility for his actions and will pay the predetermined amount. End of story.

MAke sure you get it in a lump sum.. if it gets below a small claims court value you can get screwed easy.

ITs not YOUR responsibilty to figure out how he is going to pay for it... he did it, he needs to figure that out. noone else needs to be involved.

Stay calm, do whats right and fair... which is him paying for damages caused and nothing else. Be as nice as you can about it but firm and assertive and it will turn out okay. Thats how I got the value of a new paintjob out of the keying incident.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:18 PM
As said before he is not a friend. Make him pay for everything.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:01 PM
I concur with all the above. Get your car back to its original state. He is responsible for his actions, sober or not. Good job on getting the police involved. Good luck.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:57 PM
Yeah, Like everyone said... get a real friend. He does not respect you or your property. Show him you mean business and stop being a pushover. You might lose him as a "friend", but whatever. It happens. Also, don't let him get you depressed. That sounds like that is what he wants. If you were closer, I'd get you a six pack... of ummm Soda since I realized you are not 21 yet. lol

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:36 AM
ive been friends with craploads of people. and ive never once did $2500 worth of damage to any of my friends cars. the guy has issues and needs to pay for his mistake. remind him he did the damage, a police report was filed where he admitted doing it. and take him to court if need be. he screwd you over cause of a girl he screwed your car over. are you going to wait for him to screw you over more? this friendship isnt worth it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:54 AM
sndsgood wrote:ive been friends with craploads of people. and ive never once did $2500 worth of damage to any of my friends cars. the guy has issues and needs to pay for his mistake. remind him he did the damage, a police report was filed where he admitted doing it. and take him to court if need be. he screwd you over cause of a girl he screwed your car over. are you going to wait for him to screw you over more? this friendship isnt worth it.

this

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:57 AM
F*ck him! Seeing's he wants to cut that kind of attitude about it I'd add extra money to the lawsuit to pay you for days you had to miss from work while your vehicle was being fixed/cost of renting a car while it's being repaired.

Then don't talk to him, it's up to him to come to you and admit that he was wrong. If he continues with the BS after paying to fix your car, post his phone number various places on the internet.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 4:58 AM
Woah, real JBO drama!

Some friend you've got... my worst enemy treats me better than your friend does... he treats you like crap, and you come back for more punishment again? Wow.. time for your friend to man up. He's lucky you didn't kill him (I probably would have).

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:21 AM
Hmm. I'm meeting with him today, everyone I talk to including you guys have all said the same thing. I've decided what I've gotta do, make him pay for it assertively but respectfully. Bottom line is a friend wouldn't disrespect my property like that. We'll see how it goes, I have a feeling if we can't work something out I'll be visiting the State Trooper's office sooner rather than later lol. Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll post back after the meeting.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:39 AM
Assuming he is also 20 or 21 he should have learned by now actions have consequences. Just because this one is a little "steep" for him doesn't make it your fault. Fu(k him if he has a problem for paying for what he did any friend would correct the situation they fu(ked up.

Live and learn.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:02 AM
Wow, Yeah what a bad friend.

I would say it is what it is now pay up.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:23 AM
Good luck Tyler. Hope it all goes well. If not... give him some fireworks to play with...

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:34 PM
Hahaha Thanks guys.

So the chat went well, we met up and talked things out, talked about the whole situation that caused this mess and of course my car. He seemed pretty cool about it, and his parents are willing to help out. The car's going to the shop Friday and will hopefully be fixed before I move into my apartment a few weeks from now. (We had a hailstorm come through here recently, so as you can imagine, the body shops around here are extremely busy.) I basically said it is what it is, and @!#$ happens, but he's gotta own up to what he did regardless because I want my car fixed to how it was. He agreed, he was also taken back by the damage because I don't think he realized how bad it actually was. So, all in all, everything worked out pretty much as well as it could have and we both feel a lot better now haha. Good stuff.

Thanks again guys for the advice and support.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:41 PM
That was one great kind of videos posted. What happened to the person who was in the video. Live or not?
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:47 PM
I think that person survived... It just hurt like a biotch... Also... Glad to hear it worked out and NP.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:49 PM
Glad it all worked out for ya man, Can you post some pics for a before and after??
Thursday, August 04, 2011 1:52 AM
I will post back with before and after pics asap. Actually I'll take better pictures tomorrow with a better camera after I wash my car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search