Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:34 PM
Heres the scoop... i have a '93 cavi w/ 2.2 5spd, it runs great but the rest of the car is not in good shape at all. I could have very cheap a '97 cavi in good condition but has locked up 2.2. the '97 is an auto. Just wondering if there was much of a difference (or any at all) between the '93 and '97 2.2, and how many parts if any i will have to swap from the '97 motor back to the '93 motor. As i am typing this i realize the 93 would be obd1 and the 97 obd2... so i assume there will be some swapping necessary.

Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:47 PM
The 93 doesn't have a reluctor for the cam sensor.





i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:56 PM
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:43 PM
The OBD of the engine doesn't matter. However, like SHOoff mentioned, older engines tend to lack sensors, and other misc things.


- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:34 PM
Jake Sanchez wrote:

Heres the scoop... i have a '93 cavi w/ 2.2 5spd, it runs great but the rest of the car is not in good shape at all. I could have very cheap a '97 cavi in good condition but has locked up 2.2. the '97 is an auto. Just wondering if there was much of a difference (or any at all) between the '93 and '97 2.2, and how many parts if any i will have to swap from the '97 motor back to the '93 motor. As i am typing this i realize the 93 would be obd1 and the 97 obd2... so i assume there will be some swapping necessary.


im sure it is possible but will most likely require the whole car be rewired
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:07 PM
The 1 thing that came to mind,is the wiring behind the dash.Wayyy different and probably more trouble than it would be worth.Obd 1 over obd 2 theres alot the ecm does different due to sensors and lots of them.Heck I would rather find another 93 swap motors into a like car with the same specs so,no ecm swap,just eng,trans much easier.Good luck my local upull it has several 2nd gens that are super solid,no idea why they ended up there but did.



Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Friday, August 19, 2011 3:38 AM
the_miker17(u kiddin) wrote:

Jake Sanchez wrote:

Heres the scoop... i have a '93 cavi w/ 2.2 5spd, it runs great but the rest of the car is not in good shape at all. I could have very cheap a '97 cavi in good condition but has locked up 2.2. the '97 is an auto. Just wondering if there was much of a difference (or any at all) between the '93 and '97 2.2, and how many parts if any i will have to swap from the '97 motor back to the '93 motor. As i am typing this i realize the 93 would be obd1 and the 97 obd2... so i assume there will be some swapping necessary.

im sure it is possible but will most likely require the whole car be rewired


Uh, I don't think that's necessary....

Ron Love wrote:

The 1 thing that came to mind,is the wiring behind the dash.Wayyy different and probably more trouble than it would be worth.Obd 1 over obd 2 theres alot the ecm does different due to sensors and lots of them.Heck I would rather find another 93 swap motors into a like car with the same specs so,no ecm swap,just eng,trans much easier.Good luck my local upull it has several 2nd gens that are super solid,no idea why they ended up there but did.


Not really necessary here either.

It's gonna be about what you really want/need here OP. You're going to need to keep the ICM from the 97 engine. Probably also will wanna keep the alternator, and probably also the bracket for it. Might as well just keep the whole 97 engine and accessories around, just in case, until you're done.

You should be able to easly mount the engine in the car, and hook it all up to the existing wiring. You will not have a cam sensor in the 93 block, so you will not be able to hook it up. Your check engine light will be on. The CEL being on will most likely fail you on any emissions testing. I can't make any gaurantee on how well/@!#$ty the car will run without that cam sensor.

If you wanna swap back to all the OBD-I wiring... forget about it. You'll have more issues with stuff not working than it's worth.





i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:14 PM
if you people don't know anything then please DON'T POST

like sho off said the 93 doesn't have the reluctor on the cam (CAM POSITION SENSOR) if you were to put this engine in your car your CEL would always BE ON as it would have NO CAM SENSOR (if it will start some engine look for crank and cam sensors during cranking.

also the 97 has an electric EGR VALVE 93 is VACUUM you would have to swap out the EGR/TSTAT housing aswell

OBD DOESN'T MATTER. the engine doesn't know anything about the ODB system the engine is a mechanical component that sends a signal to the PCM (which is the OBD System) and it sends the signal out

you can buy a 2.2 for 300 bucks strip the 93 and pay for a 96-97 motor



JBO since July 30, 2001
Re: Using '93 2.2ohv in '97 ?
Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:26 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:


you can buy a 2.2 for 300 bucks strip the 93 and pay for a 96-97 motor



best advice so far in this thread.


hell, i got a 97 2.2 for $75. was running when it was pulled.


Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 20, 2011 5:27 PM


JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search