Uncut GM Keys - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Uncut GM Keys
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:58 PM
The car I just bought came with one crappy walmart key that sticks out like an inch from the ignition. So I started looking around for genuine uncut GM keys online. I found a few places with them but they look like hard plastic copies, not the nice rubber grip the OEM key has.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with any specific website? Or maybe a dealer can get me one?

Here are the two sites I've found them.

http://www.amazingkeys.com/product/2004-04-chevrolet-chevy-cavalier-original-oem-gm-logo-dealer-key-blank

http://www.carlocksandkeys.com/servlet/the-1200/Chevrolet-Cavalier-Car-Automobile/Detail

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: Uncut GM Keys
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:06 PM
i got mine from ebay.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:21 PM
Just found a GM Part # 26053314

Looks like you have to buy them in packs of 10 though. I'm gonna stop in at a GM dealer with the number and see if I can just buy a few.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:22 PM
how much is the pack? ill split on five

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:32 PM
Comes out to $23.70 for 10 keys plus $12.95 for shipping, so $36.65 from GM Parts Direct or $3.67 a key.

Last time I ordered a part at a dealer I didn't pay shipping, so I'm thinking it will just be better to run to a dealer. I'll check tomorrow and find out if they will sell me one for less than that, I really only want 3.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:36 PM
@!#$ that I'll take my $1.63 hard plastic covered replica any day over 3.67 + like a dollar for cutting any day..

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:38 PM
Lol... $5 isn't really breaking the bank here...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:39 PM
Yeah but you could put that towards going faster.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:42 PM
$5 isn't going to get me crap for performance mods.

I'd appreciate it if you'd keep it on topic.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:58 AM
I had a key cut and they did that. So I went to the Chevy dealer with the VIN number, and they cut a key from the VIN. Still gave me a long key.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:13 AM
Tim, I wouldn't mine a few.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:42 AM
i could use a few keys as well

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:15 AM
I need keys too...reading this thread sort of jogged my memory about needing some, lol

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:39 AM
thats still more then what i pay for a key. employee pricing for the win. i think it comes to $2.xx i need to get mine recut
Wednesday, August 24, 2011 2:43 PM
My local dealer had one in stock, it came out to $4.43 with tax and he cut it for me. Not sure why I didn't think of this before now, haha

I've got two more on the way, should be here Friday.

I'm not sure if he charged me to cut it or what, the receipt says he didn't but who knows.

Honestly after I shipped them all out to you guys I don't think you'd be saving more than $0.50 a key. I'd just go to the dealer and order them.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:32 PM
I had keys cut for my sunfire at Walmart, same size as stock, but has the hard plastic cover, which is no big deal.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:34 PM
Almost forgot... pic!

Thursday, August 25, 2011 2:06 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:My local dealer had one in stock, it came out to $4.43 with tax and he cut it for me. Not sure why I didn't think of this before now, haha

I've got two more on the way, should be here Friday.

I'm not sure if he charged me to cut it or what, the receipt says he didn't but who knows.

Honestly after I shipped them all out to you guys I don't think you'd be saving more than $0.50 a key. I'd just go to the dealer and order them.

he didn't charge you for the cut there, as the same thing cost my just shy of $8 up here.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Friday, August 26, 2011 4:38 AM
I need to go order me a new set at the dealer, my only copys key loop thing at the top broke off in the rubber, and then the rubber fell off so I'm rocking a metal key in my change pocket with nothing attached, scary... lol

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:40 PM
I'll always go to the dealer and get a key cut from the original code, from the VIN.. over a copy of a worn key that some minimum-wage earning kid at Walmart cut that may not work.

In fact.. when I bought my daily driver (03 Cav sedan) the original key was SOOO worn out, you couldn't turn the ignition switch properly. The guy had a new ignition cylinder for it.. brand new in the box still, paid $300 for it. I returned it (yes, the receipt was in the stack of paperwork in the glovebox) and spent $2 on a GM cut key. Still works mint.

Friday, September 02, 2011 4:40 PM
^^^ lol thats neat. $300 in the bank, nice.

hmmm... im wondering if the shorter key is an 03-05 thing? pretty sure all my 95-02 keys are the long version....

Friday, September 02, 2011 4:42 PM
No both my OEM key and the hard plastic covered generic one are the short keys. Though I have an 02 eco. Maybe its an eco thing.

Friday, September 02, 2011 4:43 PM
Nope, my 98 and 04 both use the short key. Granted I just bought a short key for it, but it fits and it works, so it would make a lot more sense that it was supposed to come with a short key.

Friday, September 02, 2011 5:06 PM
I don't think it matters, but the 1995 keys part # 26049133. Figured I would post here just in case. Also, My 95 came with a short key. I am kinda wondering if I can get another oem wallet key cut now, lol.

Friday, September 02, 2011 7:23 PM
Looks like they sell those in quantities of 5. I wonder what the difference is between the parts numbers beyond that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search