Is the Sonic the New J Car? - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Is the Sonic the New J Car?
Friday, September 16, 2011 10:16 AM
Exodus 259 wrote:We just got a Sonic in at work yesterday. It's an Aveo. It's just a slightly changed Aveo. Walking up to it, it looked no different then an Aveo. The interior is better built then an Aveo, and the quality doesn't seem as crappy. However, it is a re-designed Aveo.

Its just the next "generation" of the Aveo. Some of parts still come from Korea, but are then welded together to form the main components of the vehicle structure. Other parts are manufactured here and the final assembly of all the parts is done here. Seeing the preproduction vehicles being assembled and running through the weld destruct process, I trust the body to be fairly solidly built.

Sunday, October 02, 2011 1:55 PM
Mystic02VA (GME Chat) wrote:
John Smith wrote:GM internally refers to vehicles using these letters. The Y Body is assembled at Bowling Green and the J Body is assembled at the Lake Orion., MI Orion Assembly Plant.
I have not worked for GM since the sixties, but I do not believe the internal use of nomenclature has changed. But I could be wrong and if I am I am certain a GM employee will set me straight.

Unionman

uhhhh the J-body was assembled at the Lordstown Ohio plant the entire production run from 1981-2005... o.O

INCORRECT!

All Sunfire convertibles were assembled at the "Genesis" Lansing, Michigan Plant.

Mexico plants built the Sunfire until 2005

1982 Sunbird was built in California

The Cavalier:

Assembly 1st Gen

Lordstown, Ohio, United States
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico
South Gate, California, United States (1982 only)
Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Assembly 2nd gen

Assembly 3rd gen

Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:30 PM
Not the point. The point being: It was NEVER manufactured at the Lake Orion plant.
Monday, October 03, 2011 5:47 AM
That is also NOT THE POINT, As an ex GM assembly line worker myself I know that MANY MANY VEHICLES are built on more than one line a.k.a. assembly plant.

I worked at Lake Orion and Built the G6 Sedan, Coupe, and Vert along with the addtion of the Malibu. All trim levels of the Malibu except the LTZ

In Kansas City they built the Malibu and the Saturn Aura. Now they build the Malibu and the Buick Lacrosse and I believe the new Regal.

This bonehead is WRONG 100% to be calling a Sonic a J-Boby, however posting things that are not true doesn't help.

Also something to take into consideration, The actual Platform Design had to do with the Platform being called a certain name. In the 80s all the "G-Body" cars were the Buick Regal, Chevy Monte Carlo, Pontiac Grand Prix and the Old Cutlass.

The Grand prix as we most recently know it before GM killed it was a W platform. - Unit Bodied FWD

Buick Regal was first an A body, then a Gbody both RWD then moved to a W-Body onto now the Epsilon II platform both FWD

The J-Body was just that. A platform that was discontinued due to the fact is was basically unchanged for 22years as far as the unit body platform is was built on. It was just outdated.

And for the knuckleheads who call a NEW CAMARO an F-Body - WRONG

The OP is flat out WRONG with his assumtion. End of Story. No need to argue with him, HE IS WRONG

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:46 AM
Whether right or wrong, the debate that followed my original post was enlightening (minus the aspersions, of course) and just so we know we are not alone, this recently appeared on a prominent 5th Gen Camaro forum:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179329

Apparently there are some Camaro fans that like to think of the new Camaro a an F-Body as well as some who reject the idea with impunity.

Keep the faith!

John Smith
Monday, October 31, 2011 7:32 PM
wallzy41 wrote:Not the point. The point being: It was NEVER manufactured at the Lake Orion plant.
^ this

that was my point... the J-body was never built at the orion plant and the vast majority were built at lordstown for the entire production run...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search