Will we ever see a JBO mobile site? - Page 3 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Will we ever see a JBO mobile site?
Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:46 AM
I didn't hit preview. I knew of that bug. I had to shorten the file names down. If you use a long file name they will not load also.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:36 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:I didn't hit preview. I knew of that bug. I had to shorten the file names down. If you use a long file name they will not load also.

Oh yeah that. Its on the to-do list also. In fact I think I might just fix it today.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:01 PM
What the heck is a mobile site? And why would anyone use a phone to look at the internet?

I must be way outdated.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 7:07 PM
James Cahill wrote:What the heck is a mobile site? And why would anyone use a phone to look at the internet?

I must be way outdated.

I will look from my phone, but prefer not to. I would rather look from my laptop, or my 32 LCD in the computer room.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:52 AM
i look at it from my iphone. Its a pain to navigate but i only check a couple sections on the phone, everything else i look at on the computer or ipad.

now if we had tapatalk lol
it would be awesome.
Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:37 AM
The only time I use a mobile device to access a forum (including my local forum) is for meets if I need someones phone number or location.
Its been said before a dozen times over, the internet is not designed for any one thing as its usage reasons are constantly evolving. But to browse a site filled with texts and images and constantly be changing between threads and forums and multiple tabs (different websites), a phone is far inferior to a desktop/laptop computer. I enjoy sitting on my fully built gaming PC after work, working on laptops and computers and anything else ALL day long, the last thing I want to do is pull out my tiny iPhone4 and start browsing. My 25.5" Samsung displays beautiful cars, naked b!tches, and the occasional game absolutely fine in HD quality!

I also agree with Dave, the mobile option (if and when available) should be for all. The access to the site itself is a high enough demand that people may use it simply because they can quickly check top posts, but its not a reason to turn people away. why lose potential members just because they cant access the site mobile. The stuff that matters is, group purchase discounts, site perks like editing, larger capacity mailboxes, attachment sizes, signatures, editing, the list goes on.

Boosted also said it perfect (i think it was boosted). Sites take A LOT of work. You have to administer, moderate, edit, clean up, accept/deny new member requests, maintain server(s), server resources, backups, and the list goes on. You log on mobile because you clicked a 'button' while the owner/administrators are doing so much more in the back ground. Server owners who run these sites have their regular daily lives, work, family, their cars, on top of maintaining a site. Imagine having to sit down for a few hours a day after working all day and mingling with the family and still keeping everyone on the site happy. Btw, its really stupid to call names to someone who differs in opinion. If you do, you're just a stupid head.

/rant

and thanks to Dave/admins for a great site and community!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:52 AM
Dave wrote:It is possible that we may have a mobile site at some time. Right now though there are higher priority updates that still need to get done. So I can't make any promises, except to say it is on my list (my very very long list) of things to do. Its down near the bottom right now though. Demand could bump it up a little, but there are still more urgent things that need my attention.

you could always just add it to the Tap-A-Talk directory....it's not a full mobile site, but people with smart phones would be able to navigate the forums a lot easier on their mobile. cobaltss forum is on there.but there are NO Jbody sites (except for regional clubs private forumsl

May the odds be ever in you favor.....

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:43 PM
im pretty sure tapatalk was brought up in the premium members site suggestion thread in Anything Goes, and very quickly shot down...

here's why

Sunfail (Troy) wrote:
Dave wrote:
Sunfail (Troy) wrote:October 17, 2010 Tapatalk for Android users

October 18, 2010 I know of one forum that briefly installed the tapatalk plugin, and it increased odd traffic patterns, and potential spam activity around 1000%. Sorry, pass.

October 18, 2010 Well that sucks. It's so convenient on my end, it's a shame it's so easy for haxxors

Mystic02VA [Resident Hero wrote:]
LowFire wrote:July 31, 2011 I know that Tapatalk has been said no to

Was wondering if ForumRunner could possibly be used with the site?

We are using it on RootzWiki, and is a pretty smooth app

http://www.forumrunner.net/
July 31, 2011 Heavy modifications would need to be made as the code base for JBO is Phorum, and that has been heavily modified by Dave, so i doubt any off the shelf app would work very easily...

Dave is talking about designing an iPhone app, and possibly then an Android app... i also suggested making an m.j-body.org that is mobile phone browser oriented.

LowFire wrote:August 1, 2011 Really, ya think? It is painfully obvious how modified the forum is, and I am well aware a lot would be needed for a forum app

I was just suggesting something that has a baseline and little more support for it, instead of starting from scratch, and knowing that tapatalk was already thrown out as a choice

Dave wrote:
Mystic02VA wrote:July 31, 2011 m.j-body.org that is mobile phone browser oriented.

August 1, 2011 ^^^This is what will most likely happen. Apps like Tapatalk and ForumRunner exist because the programmers behind software like phpBB and vBulletin are inept. Their code is so full of fail that they couldn't make a good mobile browser interface if their life depended on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:44 PM

Sunday, June 24, 2012 9:26 AM
James Cahill wrote:What the heck is a mobile site? And why would anyone use a phone to look at the internet?

I must be way outdated.

hahaha. agreed.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search